thank you for the advice on how to ripen bananas, I however have another way, just buy them from any supermarket and they will be nice and black within a couple of days!! I always buy them when they are green in the vain hope that they will last longer, NO; shop on Friday and by Thursday they are just about finished, so black and over ripe that they will have a conversation with you as you stand there asking them why!! I know that this is a storage problem but I do not have an answer as to why this is happening when I am storing them exactly the same now as I have always done. Any suggestions from the SDC group would be very welcome as I am throwing more out than we are eating now

thank you for the advice on how to ripen bananas, I however have another way, just buy them from any supermarket and they will be nice and black within a couple of days!! I always buy them when they are green in the vain hope that they will last longer, NO; shop on Friday and by Thursday they are just about finished, so black and over ripe that they will have a conversation with you as you stand there asking them why!! I know that this is a storage problem but I do not have an answer as to why this is happening when I am storing them exactly the same now as I have always done. Any suggestions from the SDC group would be very welcome as I am throwing more out than we are eating now
Many thanks for your response to my post. I can relate to everything you said, but don’t worry, there might be light at the end of the tunnel.
Whenever I shopped for bananas, I used to put them in the soft plastic bags in the fruit and veggie section, and by the time I got home, they already had black spots on them. So now I put them straight into the trolley, minus the bags.
Secondly, I remember reading in one of my recipe books that if you separate the bananas, and store them individually , they last longer.
Lastly, we recently shifted house, and I put the fruit bowl on the kitchen bench
near the stove, and in a matter of days the bananas were nearly all black. I believe the heat from the stove was making them ripen prematurely. So now I have the fruit bowl in a well ventilated position away from the kitchen.
So I suggest you try not using the plastic bag, pull the bananas off the bunch, and store them in a well ventilated position
away from the heat.
See how you go.🤗

Reactions: Gaena
Many thanks for your response to my post. I can relate to everything you said, but don’t worry, there might be light at the end of the tunnel.
Whenever I shopped for bananas, I used to put them in the soft plastic bags in the fruit and veggie section, and by the time I got home, they already had black spots on them. So now I put them straight into the trolley, minus the bags.
Secondly, I remember reading in one of my recipe books that if you separate the bananas, and store them individually , they last longer.
Lastly, we recently shifted house, and I put the fruit bowl on the kitchen bench
near the stove, and in a matter of days the bananas were nearly all black. I believe the heat from the stove was making them ripen prematurely. So now I have the fruit bowl in a well ventilated position away from the kitchen.
So I suggest you try not using the plastic bag, pull the bananas off the bunch, and store them in a well ventilated position
away from the heat.
See how you go.🤗
Thank you for that reply, i do not use plastic bags for veg or fruit instead putting them straight into the shopping bags to take home but you mentioning that you had put your bananas in a bowl close to the oven made me think about where I put my bananas, I keep them on a kitchen bench which sounds logical to me, however our home is heated by reverse cycle air conditioning and the warm air blows straight into the kitchen, we have a large open plan Kitchen /family/ lounge/dinning area home and the air con is placed in the family/lounge/kitchen area.I am thinking that to protect our favourite fruit I may have to put the bowl of bananas in a distant corner of the Laundry away from the direct heat of the aircon either that or the linen cupboard which does not get any of the direct heat of the aircon !! Thanks again for your advice 🙂

Reactions: BruceAnderson