How to get FREE items at Coles, Woolworths and ALDI with this scanning 'loophole'

Members, have you ever got to the checkout and found that the scanned price of an item is different from the one displayed on the shelf?

Well, we have just discovered a little-known retail 'loophole' that can get you some items for FREE at Coles, Woolworths, and ALDI under certain conditions. Intrigued? Let us dive right in!

This information was brought to our attention by a clever shopper named Jarrod, who used to work in a supermarket. He explained to us The Scanning Code of Practice, a voluntary policy that Coles, Woolworths, ALDI, and, to some extent, IGA have adopted.

To break it down for you, Jarrod explained, 'Let's say the ticket on the shelf says $10, you get it to the counter, and it scans at $12. You get that item for FREE.'

Although there was doubt and scepticism regarding this revelation, Jarrod stood by his words, confirming his claim with open-source information from supermarket websites and a government site.

Here's what you need to know: if multiple units of a product scan at a higher price, only the first one is free, while the rest will be sold at the lower display price. Moreover, retailers only apply the policy on products up to a particular price.

And here's a real-life situation to illustrate this point: In a recent article, a shopper encountered a similar case. She purchased some chicken portions from Coles, which were originally priced at $12 but had been marked down to $9.50. However, when she reached the checkout counter, she was surprised that she was charged the full price instead of the discounted amount.

Frustrated, the customer had to discuss with the Coles cashier to rectify the situation. After some back-and-forth, she managed to secure the chicken portions for free, thanks to The Scanning Code of Practice.

Now, you might be wondering how often pricing errors like these occur. While we couldn't find any concrete statistics, we do know that mistakes happen, and with thousands of products in a supermarket, pricing errors could be more common than we think.

Coles and Woolworths have shared their respective policies on their websites. Coles stated, 'All Coles supermarkets apply 'Our Promise on Price Scanning' to ensure confidence in the pricing accuracy at our registers. If a single item scans at a higher price than the advertised or ticketed shelf price for that item, we will give the customer that item free.'

In Woolworths' case, their Scanning Code of Practice applies to all scanned merchandise, including items that are registered using a PLU number (Price Look-up Number). The code does not cover liquor and tobacco products, items with a shelf price of $50 or higher, errors in unit pricing on shelf labels, or checkout operator errors.

ALDI's help site also acknowledges this policy: 'If a regular product scans at a price higher than that displayed, you are entitled to receive the first item free. All subsequent items will be charged at the lower price.'

compressed-Screen Shot 2023-06-23 at 12.18.35 PM.jpeg
Australia's biggest supermarkets follow a code that every shopper should know about. Credit: Unsplash/Franki Chamaki.

IGA's stand on the issue may vary, as their Scanning Code of Practice is optional for independent retailers. It's always best to check with your local IGA store should you ever be caught in this situation.

If you ever come across a scanning discrepancy at the supermarket, don't fret! We've got a simple guide to help you navigate the situation smoothly. Just follow these steps:
  1. Take a moment to double-check the price on the shelf and the price displayed on the scanner.
  2. Inform the cashier or a customer service representative about the discrepancy you've noticed.
  3. Make sure to provide them with the correct price displayed on the shelf, and kindly ask them to verify it.
  4. Following the supermarket's policy, politely request either a free item or a price adjustment.
While trying to take advantage of this 'loophole', practising kindness and understanding is essential when dealing with supermarket employees, as they may not be aware of the policy themselves. Always remember that patience and politeness can go a long way.

Key Takeaways

• A shopper revealed a retail 'loophole' that allows customers to get certain products for free if the scanning price is higher than the displayed price in the supermarket.
  • The Scanning Code of Practice is a voluntary policy signed up to and followed by Coles, Woolworths, ALDI, and some IGA stores in Australia.
  • The shopper’s claims were met with scepticism, but a Coles spokesperson confirmed the policy, stating that they apply 'Our Promise on Price Scanning' to ensure pricing accuracy at the registers.
  • Woolworths and ALDI also have information about the Scanning Code of Practice on their websites, outlining the conditions and items that either qualify or are exempt from the policy.

This handy tip serves as a reminder to stay vigilant and double-check the scanned prices of our purchases. After all, retail mistakes happen, and we need to make sure we're not overpaying for our weekly groceries!

So, next time you're at the checkout counter, keep an eye on the scanned prices. You never know—you might just end up with a free item or two! Do you have other supermarket tips and tricks to share? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
I have known about this for what seems 20 years. I check my dockets every time I shop. If you buy weighed produce (no barcode) you will be reimbursed the difference in price. You do not get the item free.
Many moons ago, I bought my sons a cricket set, it was “on sale “ so when we got to the checkout the normal price was applied, when I politely reminded the staff of the oversight, I ended up getting it for free! ( thank you Coles )

I have known about this for what seems 20 years. I check my dockets every time I shop. If you buy weighed produce (no barcode) you will be reimbursed the difference in price. You do not get the item free.
I have been refunded the full price charged for weighed goods. A few years ago I bought some grapes & the price at checkout was waaay higher than on the shelf. I never challenge at the checkout as that can backfire on you. Went to customer service (I always do this for overcharged goods) & the complete price was refunded.

I have even caught Coles out when the same good was in 2 different parts of the store at different prices. I found this with a box of Coca Cola. I picked up the box from the cheaper spot. Went to checkout & it scanned at higher price. Pointed out to service desk staff that I had been overcharged. They went to the higher priced area & said I had been charged correctly. I took them to the other area & pointed out that I had been overcharged. They were amazed at the store's stupidity but I got my money back.
More recently at my local WW they didn't change the price of frozen chips on the shelf so I got my money back for overcharging. This went on for several weeks & I had a large stock of chips in my freezer because of their stupidity.

Members, have you ever got to the checkout and found that the scanned price of an item is different from the one displayed on the shelf?

Well, we have just discovered a little-known retail 'loophole' that can get you some items for FREE at Coles, Woolworths, and ALDI under certain conditions. Intrigued? Let us dive right in!

This information was brought to our attention by a clever shopper named Jarrod, who used to work in a supermarket. He explained to us The Scanning Code of Practice, a voluntary policy that Coles, Woolworths, ALDI, and, to some extent, IGA have adopted.

To break it down for you, Jarrod explained, 'Let's say the ticket on the shelf says $10, you get it to the counter, and it scans at $12. You get that item for FREE.'

Although there was doubt and scepticism regarding this revelation, Jarrod stood by his words, confirming his claim with open-source information from supermarket websites and a government site.

Here's what you need to know: if multiple units of a product scan at a higher price, only the first one is free, while the rest will be sold at the lower display price. Moreover, retailers only apply the policy on products up to a particular price.

And here's a real-life situation to illustrate this point: In a recent article, a shopper encountered a similar case. She purchased some chicken portions from Coles, which were originally priced at $12 but had been marked down to $9.50. However, when she reached the checkout counter, she was surprised that she was charged the full price instead of the discounted amount.

Frustrated, the customer had to discuss with the Coles cashier to rectify the situation. After some back-and-forth, she managed to secure the chicken portions for free, thanks to The Scanning Code of Practice.

Now, you might be wondering how often pricing errors like these occur. While we couldn't find any concrete statistics, we do know that mistakes happen, and with thousands of products in a supermarket, pricing errors could be more common than we think.

Coles and Woolworths have shared their respective policies on their websites. Coles stated, 'All Coles supermarkets apply 'Our Promise on Price Scanning' to ensure confidence in the pricing accuracy at our registers. If a single item scans at a higher price than the advertised or ticketed shelf price for that item, we will give the customer that item free.'

In Woolworths' case, their Scanning Code of Practice applies to all scanned merchandise, including items that are registered using a PLU number (Price Look-up Number). The code does not cover liquor and tobacco products, items with a shelf price of $50 or higher, errors in unit pricing on shelf labels, or checkout operator errors.

ALDI's help site also acknowledges this policy: 'If a regular product scans at a price higher than that displayed, you are entitled to receive the first item free. All subsequent items will be charged at the lower price.'

View attachment 23168
Australia's biggest supermarkets follow a code that every shopper should know about. Credit: Unsplash/Franki Chamaki.

IGA's stand on the issue may vary, as their Scanning Code of Practice is optional for independent retailers. It's always best to check with your local IGA store should you ever be caught in this situation.

If you ever come across a scanning discrepancy at the supermarket, don't fret! We've got a simple guide to help you navigate the situation smoothly. Just follow these steps:
  1. Take a moment to double-check the price on the shelf and the price displayed on the scanner.
  2. Inform the cashier or a customer service representative about the discrepancy you've noticed.
  3. Make sure to provide them with the correct price displayed on the shelf, and kindly ask them to verify it.
  4. Following the supermarket's policy, politely request either a free item or a price adjustment.
While trying to take advantage of this 'loophole', practising kindness and understanding is essential when dealing with supermarket employees, as they may not be aware of the policy themselves. Always remember that patience and politeness can go a long way.

Key Takeaways

• A shopper revealed a retail 'loophole' that allows customers to get certain products for free if the scanning price is higher than the displayed price in the supermarket.
  • The Scanning Code of Practice is a voluntary policy signed up to and followed by Coles, Woolworths, ALDI, and some IGA stores in Australia.
  • The shopper’s claims were met with scepticism, but a Coles spokesperson confirmed the policy, stating that they apply 'Our Promise on Price Scanning' to ensure pricing accuracy at the registers.
  • Woolworths and ALDI also have information about the Scanning Code of Practice on their websites, outlining the conditions and items that either qualify or are exempt from the policy.

This handy tip serves as a reminder to stay vigilant and double-check the scanned prices of our purchases. After all, retail mistakes happen, and we need to make sure we're not overpaying for our weekly groceries!

So, next time you're at the checkout counter, keep an eye on the scanned prices. You never know—you might just end up with a free item or two! Do you have other supermarket tips and tricks to share? Let us know in the comments!

I was at the checkout in Woolies and as the product went through the scanner it showed the original price instead of the sale price. I told the cashier and she just changed the price to what it should have been. I asked do I get that free. She said I wouldn't because I let her know of the mistake and she had time to change it. She said the free only applies if I had already paid for the product and had to go to the customer service desk to advise of the incorrect price. So be aware of this. I could have disputed it but I didn't have the time after waiting to get served by a real person.

Reactions: elaine41
I was at the checkout in Woolies and as the product went through the scanner it showed the original price instead of the sale price. I told the cashier and she just changed the price to what it should have been. I asked do I get that free. She said I wouldn't because I let her know of the mistake and she had time to change it. She said the free only applies if I had already paid for the product and had to go to the customer service desk to advise of the incorrect price. So be aware of this. I could have disputed it but I didn't have the time after waiting to get served by a real person.
I heard this many years ago which is why I always go to the service desk after I have paid for my groceries to get the refund. Never had a problem doing it this way.

I’m always in a hurry and don’t check , while scanning and recently bought a celebration cake ( which is never in store) and it was on special for $29 instead of $30.( I know it was only a dollar but in these hard times a dollar is also worth it) I was happy I got the cake, again didn’t check my receipt- went home and checked but couldn’t go back , since I was busy getting ready for the party.
Lesson learnt next time to check the receipt before I leave the store.
I got caught once as well and from then on always took my receipt. Another thing; a week or so back I bought an 8 pack of kiwi fruit. Had them for a couple of days and they just did not ripen....hard as the hobs of hell. I did not have the receipt but I had the remaining 7 and both halves of the one that we had cut into and could not eat it was so hard. The assistant said I could have anothr pack or a refund. I took the refund as I said the others may have been the same.

Aldi doesn't follow supermarket rules, they are above the laws, look it up, price mistakes don't work at Aldi, I had a massive argument with them but they are considered a wholesale food and commodity outlet, Google it, I was also shocked.
Rubbish!

Reactions: siameezer
There were a couple of times that it did not happen at the Coles self-checkout. When my wife picked up an item on sales with a lower shelf price than scanned, the customer service person attending to self-checkout went to confirm the shelf price, and then came back to adjust the scanned price at the checkout. We didn’t get the item free.
I think that is what they are trained to do. They don't like giving items for free.

while later I used it to place some salt on a meal. During the meal, I found a piece of plastic in the food which could easily have ended up in my intestines. The only thing I could think of was where did it come from - maybe the salt grinder. After dismantling the grinder I found it had broken off the grinding area. I took it back the following day to my fantastic Woollies store and got to speak with the manager who politely listened to me. I had refilled the grinder and he said that these small grinders were not really designed for refill. Regardless of that he not only refunded me the full price but he gave me at no charge a much bigger new and full salt grinder at no charge. I was so delighted with the manager's reaction so I bought the matching pepper grinder happily and paid full price. Needless to say, they have my business 100% for the rest of my life.

Re- scanned price of article is different from what was indicated. I feel Woolies has a fail-proof reaction to pay up on that. I’ve seen the checkout operator pause after possibly a type of signal was made by the scanning machine when putting through a re-priced article. S/he pauses and waits to put it through again. I feel it may have rung up something different from what s/he noticed the discount price tag indicated. So, a quick adjustment is needed before the article goes through. The customer doesn’t get the chance to query it. Maybe it was recorded at the base of the invoice and I didn’t notice it.

I have received items a few times because of this.
But if I got to the checkout and noticed they scanned an item and the price was incorrect I would tell them there and then. If the price is corrected before paying you won't get it for free. If I saw it during checkout and waited until after I paid to tell them I would feel like I was stealing.
Although I don't stand there looking at the tally unless it's near the end.

I would only look at my receipt if I thought it came to more that I thought it would.

So if you see the wrong price after you leave checkout then it's ok to get it for free but if you notice it while they are scanning it then you should tell them
You actually DO get it free even if pointed out to the checkout operator prior to paying for your items.

She is actually lying to you sadly. It makes no difference when you point out the scanning error and that checkout operator would have been reported to the store manager by me.

View attachment 23168

Key Takeaways

Sorry but this practice has been around for a long, long time. I worked in the Government Department which governed this and I have not worked in over 20 years. They are not going to shout it from the rooftops nor are they going to tell you if you buy fresh produce and it is not fresh that you are entitled to cash back plus replacement of that product. This applies even if you shop on line for groceries as I do. Another tip is if you are ringing a call centre and you are not satisfied with the answer ask for a Supervisor and it is against the law for them not to put you through. They will always say the Supervisor is in a meeting but stand your ground. My motto is - always go to the top even if you have to ring Sydney or Melbourne. If an item is faulty you are entitled under law to a refund, replacement or repair and you only deal with the business you gave your money to but they will try to tell you to go to the manufacturer. Case in point. I recently bought an advertised product for $100.00 and it was useless and I was told to post it back (it was large and bulky). I persisted and got my money back without having to send it back. I could go on but urge members to ring the appropriate Department (The Office of Fair Trading) if they are unsure. There are leaflets available I am sure. Hope this all helps but be aware that if you do this too often the business may ask you not to come back and I believe this is their right but do check all my information out with your store.

Reactions: Beeno & Deb
Sorry but this practice has been around for a long, long time. I worked in the Government Department which governed this and I have not worked in over 20 years. They are not going to shout it from the rooftops nor are they going to tell you if you buy fresh produce and it is not fresh that you are entitled to cash back plus replacement of that product. This applies even if you shop on line for groceries as I do. Another tip is if you are ringing a call centre and you are not satisfied with the answer ask for a Supervisor and it is against the law for them not to put you through. They will always say the Supervisor is in a meeting but stand your ground. My motto is - always go to the top even if you have to ring Sydney or Melbourne. If an item is faulty you are entitled under law to a refund, replacement or repair and you only deal with the business you gave your money to but they will try to tell you to go to the manufacturer. Case in point. I recently bought an advertised product for $100.00 and it was useless and I was told to post it back (it was large and bulky). I persisted and got my money back without having to send it back. I could go on but urge members to ring the appropriate Department (The Office of Fair Trading) if they are unsure. There are leaflets available I am sure. Hope this all helps but be aware that if you do this too often the business may ask you not to come back and I believe this is their right but do check all my information out with your store.
It may be the law but asking for a supervisor won't get you through to one sadly. They are either in a meeting, or there is no supervisor on the floor, or we work from home and can't transfer you etc. They offer to get one to call you back but they never do! If you stand your ground they just hang up on you ... customer service just doesn't exist anymore!

I have even caught Coles out when the same good was in 2 different parts of the store at different prices. I found this with a box of Coca Cola. I picked up the box from the cheaper spot. Went to checkout & it scanned at higher price. Pointed out to service desk staff that I had been overcharged. They went to the higher priced area & said I had been charged correctly. I took them to the other area & pointed out that I had been overcharged. They were amazed at the store's stupidity but I got my money back.
More recently at my local WW they didn't change the price of frozen chips on the shelf so I got my money back for overcharging. This went on for several weeks & I had a large stock of chips in my freezer because of their stupidity.
Yes I have had that happen several times. You tell them and they don’t change the ticket.

I scored a 3 litre bucket of Vanish last year, I picked it up in store went through the checkout was advised that it was twice the price ($32.00?) I said that has a ticket on the shelf half price the manager went with me I pointed to the ticket were it said half price not a happy manager as it was the previous week special, so I got it fo free because they had to return the purchase price
Not true at Aldi Forster. No free items there.

There were a couple of times that it did not happen at the Coles self-checkout. When my wife picked up an item on sales with a lower shelf price than scanned, the customer service person attending to self-checkout went to confirm the shelf price, and then came back to adjust the scanned price at the checkout. We didn’t get the item free.
When you know there is a price difference first pay and then you tell them that the shelf price is lower. Have over the years saved a lot of money this way, when this policy came in it was every item you got for free but that was quickly adjusted to only the first item and the rest the difference.

I have no issues in paying the incorrect price at the cash register and then going to the information counter to bring to their attention the overpricing situation and then claiming a full refund and the product as well. As not everyone checks their receipts and do not notice the overcharge which is ultimately providing the supermarket of potentially a profit as indeed it can be considerable sums of monies. I had noticed that the person who goes to confirm the overpricing doesn't always change the price on the products possibly because they are under huge pressure to continue serving customers resulting in more profits as other customers continue paying the erroneous price hike. It is what it is until the adjustment is made