How this clever mum used an everyday household item to fend off home invaders

Even though it's not uncommon to hear accounts of people resorting to imaginative measures in the name of self-defence, we guarantee you've never heard anything quite like this story before!

It involves a young mum in Queensland who had to fend off three home invaders – not with a knife, not with a bat, but with a can of insect repellent!

Yes, you read that right, members… a can of insect repellent just saved this mum and her family's lives.

Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 7.25.46 AM.png
Tiffany had to defend herself and her family from armed intruders. Credit: 9News.

Tiffany Kendon, 21, was at home in Mount Gravatt with her partner and two young children on Tuesday night when they suddenly heard a loud banging noise coming from their front door.

'I'd just put my two kids to bed and was getting ready to have my ice cream, and my partner and I heard this massive bang on our front door,' she told reporters.

Upon investigating, they were met by three men who then forced their way into the house and were carrying weapons, including a baton, knife and taser. They also claimed to have a gun.

'There was a lot of screaming,' the mum recalled.

Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 7.25.39 AM.png
In an unexpected move, the mum used a can of insect repellent to ward off intruders who had broken into her home. Credit: 7News.

Faced with this intimidating and life-threatening situation, most of us would probably freeze up from fear or confusion. But not Tiffany – in a split-second stroke of genius, she quickly reached for the closest thing to her (a can of fly spray) and used it to disable one of the home invaders!

The man she sprayed was the one carrying the taser, and after she hit him with the insect repellent, the taser lit on fire and basically set him ablaze.

At this point, the three men made a hasty retreat and Tiffany was able to call the police.

Fortunately, Tiffany’s family were not seriously injured in the incident, although Tiffany says it was still a traumatic experience.

'It was quite bad, I couldn't really sleep last night,' she said.

The suspects, who have not been identified by the family, are still on the run from the authorities. The break-in may have been related to a crash that occurred on the same street on Monday, and the local police are looking into the possibility.

Police have issued a statement saying they are investigating the incident and are appealing for anyone who may have seen either incident or who may have relevant dashcam or CCTV footage to contact them.

Tip

1. When you notice an intruder breaking into your home, the first and most crucial thing to do is not panic.
  2. If you can, get out of there right away to avoid being spotted. Otherwise, try to remain cool and quiet.
  3. If you are stuck inside, find a safe place to hide and try to contact the authorities.
  4. Should the worst happen and you find yourself face to face with the intruder, stay calm and avoid physical conflict; they may be armed. Your safety is always the number one priority.
  5. Stay calm and cooperative, and try as much as you can to take note of the person's features so you can identify them to the police.
We here at the SDC hope Tiffany and her family are doing okay, and that they can quickly put this frightening ordeal behind them.

What about you, members? Have you ever had to defend yourself against an intruder? What did you do? We'd love to hear your stories in the comments below!

Sponsored