SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

April Bradford

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2022
How one man’s sexual fantasies led to regret that nearly ruined his 20-year+ marriage

We’re all adults here so we can safely agree that sex is normal. Sexual fantasies are also normal for the majority of adults. But what happens when something normal perfectly spirals into something anxiety-inducing? Let’s talk about it.

After more than 20 years of marriage, one man confessed he still can’t stop thinking about all the sexual experiences he ‘missed out on’ when tying the knot.

After meeting his future wife and marrying her at a young age, the man felt he cut himself off from various life experiences that he felt everyone else was having. While he doesn’t regret marrying his wife, he does feel marriage restricts him. He states he’s ‘always had a nagging feeling that [he] missed out on certain experiences’.

In a bid for help, he turned to psychotherapist Pamela Stephenson Connolly.

OhexyNTETE5tdGbT9b6cgJuSjf-0pAvTZ3z2Esbcc9xn6RgCowpW2-9nNmKHjIE9FlpEWZ-Us7p5qdrFnsHtSWO9Ie2uVoyDHxLC59ZO4b3jE9LXarwLwnZeliW8OEA-ifV1r-LQGXAPGSYUBzujmGM

Therapy can be a useful tool. Image Credit: Pexels​

He shares, ‘I do enjoy my sex life but am sometimes overwrought by thoughts that I never “completed the album”, as it were.’ He provides examples ranging from having a threesome to engaging in a one-night stand.

‘I am starting to resent people who have had more experiences, as if it’s a competition, even when I know that other aspects of my life have turned out far better than theirs.’ At this point, it’s important to point out that many of his peers may not have had these experiences either. It’s easy to build up these ideas in your head when they may not even be true.

While he’s adamant he doesn’t want to venture outside the marital bed, he wants to know how to get rid of the overwhelming feeling that he missed out and that ‘there is a gap he will never be able to fill’.

If this sounds familiar, or you’re simply curious, here’s what Pamela suggested:

‘Try to see these thoughts as fantasies – wonderful expressions of healthy eroticism that can serve as a means of keeping you sexually alive – and even enhancing your sexual drive to be intimate with your wife.’ However, she was careful to note that this does not mean fantasising about someone else while being intimate with your partner.

In fact, fantasies are extremely normal and healthy. According to Pamela, ‘fantasies serve a purpose – either to facilitate arousal, masturbation, or a general sense of private pleasure and sexual vibrancy.’ If fantasies are a normal part of sexual health, why are they causing this man so much grief? Pamela has an answer for that too.

‘Unfortunately, you have connected these feelings with regret and a sense of longing, and you are not alone in that. Studies have shown that most people think about and fantasise about having sex with someone other than their spouse.’

Pamela insists that you should avoid giving in as fantasies are just that: fantasies. They are never worth jeopardising a life that you are otherwise happy with.

One study helps to explain why this husband feels so much regret. The results found that while women were more likely to regret partaking in casual sex, men, on the other hand, were more likely to regret missed opportunities or passing up sex. Interestingly, the study also found that this regret doesn’t generally lead to a change in behaviour. Creatures of habit, eh?

If you have concerns, you can see a therapist yourself or try couple counselling. Medicare rebates for sexual health concerns are handled under the GP Mental Health Treatment Plan (GPMHTP) or a referral from your psychiatrist. You can claim the Medicare rebate for up to 10 sessions per calendar year. Be sure to check with the psychologist or counsellor before your session as pricing varies from completely bulk-billed to 100 per cent upfront from the patient.

The good news is that, if you have sexual fantasies like this, you’re not alone and it’s perfectly normal. If you are struggling, whether it’s related to sexual health or not, we encourage you to seek help. No one needs to suffer alone.

Members, what do you think he should have done? Was this a conversation he should have had with his partner or was reaching out to a professional the right idea?

They married young doesn't say how old.

It's good he states their marriage is good but he shouldn't feel like he has missed out. He should share with his wife his feelings.
Everyone one fantasises but it's not normal when it takes over your life.
When my girls get married , my advice to them is make sure you keep your marriage alive.
Have date nights and don't be scared to initiate being intimate, men love this.

I will baby sit so they can have this

When you have kids it's hard , I remember being very tired but still made time for hubby which he was more than happy .
I made sure I gave him at least once a week with my full attention .

It's so important to spice up your love life. Toys, oils ect.

I would do things like an oil massage, getting in the shower with him when he wasn't expecting it ect won't go into details.

I was open with trying anything, the only thing I stopped at was a threesome but knew plenty who did this.

Even role play is fun.

I think though that what this man was going through was either not normal or he really wasn't happy in his marriage.

Last edited:
I feel anyone struggling, should consult professional help. It can be on a wide range of issues. Even if not medical/mental health, as leaving anything go without gaining appropriate advice, almost always manifests.
Another scummy , tasteless story fir today!!

Reactions: DrivingGirl
Maybe you should just give these stories a miss?
They’re quite clear on the subject matter before you click on it.
Be assured I don’t read them the headline is enough. I’d like to see this site clean up its act!! These stories are just rubbish!

Another scummy , tasteless story fir today!!
Be assured I don’t read them the headline is enough. I’d like to see this site clean up its act!! These stories are just rubbish!
Hey @lozat54! Thank you so much for your feedback. Please know we appreciate it and will take your comments on board :) Please know, the reason our emails don’t contain our ‘full stories’ is so people don’t have to read about stories they aren’t interested in. So please feel free to completely ignore these types of stories if they aren’t your cup of tea. We know every article we write isn’t everyone's cup of tea, but we want to cater fairly to our entire audience and that means writing informative content like this article! In saying this, if the feedback is majority negative for this kind of content, then we will of course pull back. For now, though, we can see a lot of members have enjoyed the content. Potentially what we can do next time, is maybe pop in our newsletter that this content is a little more x-rated so please click through ‘at your own risk’. Would you appreciate a warning next time? It's certainly something we can organise. Thanks so much! -April

I think there are items for everyone.
Stories like this one is reality, there are people with issues like this man or couple.

I think we all need to have an open mind.

Too many people hide behind taboo subjects.

If there is a subject we don't like just go passed it.

We are after all over 18😉

Last edited:
Hey @lozat54! Thank you so much for your feedback. Please know we appreciate it and will take your comments on board :) Please know, the reason our emails don’t contain our ‘full stories’ is so people don’t have to read about stories they aren’t interested in. So please feel free to completely ignore these types of stories if they aren’t your cup of tea. We know every article we write isn’t everyone's cup of tea, but we want to cater fairly to our entire audience and that means writing informative content like this article! In saying this, if the feedback is majority negative for this kind of content, then we will of course pull back. For now, though, we can see a lot of members have enjoyed the content. Potentially what we can do next time, is maybe pop in our newsletter that this content is a little more x-rated so please click through ‘at your own risk’. Would you appreciate a warning next time? It's certainly something we can organise. Thanks so much! -April
I love all the articles you put up and what a great job you do.
Thank you so much for giving me such interesting reading while having my coffee

Hi to everyone,
Not sure if anyone has picked up on this story but the psychotherapist, Pamela Stephenson Connolly is the wife of the comedian Billy Connolly.:cool:
The Big Yin!!