How one Coles customer's $72 fiasco reveals disturbing truth you need to know!

As we navigate the aisles of our local supermarkets, many of us are acutely aware of the rising cost of living, particularly when it comes to our weekly grocery shop.

Many Australians have discussed this topic, especially those who remember when the dollar stretched much further than it does today.

The recent experience of a Melbourne woman has brought this issue into sharp focus, sparking a conversation about the value we get from our grocery spend.

The woman in question was left bewildered after a shopping trip to Coles, where she picked up a mere eight items, including everyday essentials like cottage cheese, deodorant, and eggs, and found herself parting with $72.

To add to her dismay, a subsequent trip to ALDI saw her trolley brimming with goods for just $100 more, a contrast that left her feeling short-changed by the mainstream supermarket.

‘I just feel ripped off shopping at Coles and Woolies when it's a shock how far $100 can get you, which isn't far at all,’ she said.

1719795645554.png
A Melbourne Coles shopper expressed her frustration at the higher costs compared to what she found at ALDI. Credit: @alondra_g23_ / TikTok

‘Someone make it make sense ... how an extra hundred dollars is the equivalent to food for two weeks from ALDI versus eight items ... from Coles.’

This incident isn't just a one-off grumble but echoes a nationwide sentiment.

A recent consumer advocacy group CHOICE survey revealed that ALDI was approximately 25 per cent cheaper than its competitors, Coles and Woolworths.

The survey sent mystery shoppers to 81 supermarkets to compare prices, and ALDI emerged as the 'clear leader on value for money' with a significantly cheaper basket of goods.

In response to the outcry over high prices, Coles has defended its pricing strategy.

‘Coles offers a wide range of product choices for our customers, including affordable own brand essentials, premium selections, and a range of popular brands,’ a Coles spokesperson said.

Yet, Coles and Woolworths' defence, both of which have been under fire for perceived price gouging, seems to be ignored by consumers feeling the pinch.

Woolworths has argued that for every $100 of revenue, it only nets $3.60, and further reducing prices would cut into already slim profits, offering customers a mere $5 savings per week.

Coles similarly cited a modest net profit of $2.57 per $100.

Both supermarkets attribute the surging prices to a confluence of external factors, including rising costs in commodities, shipping, oil, and fertiliser, as well as the impacts of global conflict and natural disasters.

Economist Stephen Koukoulas acknowledged customers' frustration but suggested that passing on some price increases is rational.

‘They're an easy target because we all go to the supermarket every week,’ he said.

‘But when they’re paying a higher price for opening the doors of their supermarket every morning, passing on some of the price increases is largely a fair and reasonable thing to do.’

Similarly, an ALDI shopper discovered substantial savings by switching from Woolworths to ALDI, potentially saving up to $1000 annually.

Although not a substantial amount per shopping trip, these incremental savings accumulate to a significant yearly sum for loyal ALDI customers. Learn more about this story here.
Key Takeaways
  • A Melbourne Coles shopper expressed her frustration at the cost of her small grocery haul, feeling ripped off compared to the value she found shopping at ALDI.
  • The woman compared her $72 Coles receipt for eight items with her approximately $100 ALDI shop that fetched a trolley full of goods.
  • A Coles spokesperson highlighted that it might not be a 'like-for-like' comparison and mentioned the variety of products.
  • Coles and Woolworths are facing criticism over high prices, but they claim slim profit margins and point to external factors.
Have you noticed a substantial difference in your grocery bills depending on where you shop? Do you have tips for stretching your dollar further without compromising on quality? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
Well, the customer bought cottage cheese, probably cost abt $4 or so, eggs $5, deodorant $6 total of $15. So what the hell else was bought ? One can only guess. At least another $57 worth of stuff not mentioned. Who's having who on. At least someone is getting their 5minutes of fame. Seems like a load of complete & utter "BS" to me. Didn't mention the couple of kilo's of "Eye Fillet" steak they bought which would have easily made up the extra cost. Give us a break.

Please stop making unfair comparisons!!
the 2 items i saw in photo from Coles show why the 8 items cost so much. Organic eggs and some speciality ice confection. A fair comparison is Coles brand items with Aldi products.
Choice also didn't make a fair comparison. They didn't compare Coles brand items to Aldi
I shop at Coles and have tried Aldi. I buy Coles brand items and I can get all I need there, NOT at Aldi without paying the premium that i regularly see in the media.

As we are in a democracy, you choose where and when to shop. As for only making $2.75 per hundred dollars on a hundred dollars shop, is bullshit, when then same shops sell Lamb at $30.00 to $18.00 per kilo, they were paying Producers $4 .35 @kilo, you do not make billions selling at reasonable prices. Please do your sums.

Please stop making unfair comparisons!!
the 2 items i saw in photo from Coles show why the 8 items cost so much. Organic eggs and some speciality ice confection. A fair comparison is Coles brand items with Aldi products.
Choice also didn't make a fair comparison. They didn't compare Coles brand items to Aldi
I shop at Coles and have tried Aldi. I buy Coles brand items and I can get all I need there, NOT at Aldi without paying the premium that i regularly see in the media.
Why dont you pay to see the Choice results, and learn the truth.
They also opened all products and did scientific research on volume, and quality.
Also, FYI Aldi sell a much greater percentage of Australian products then the others.

Fair comment by "Singomate'. "Wot" one has to take into consideration by all supermarkets, & i.e., Their electricity bills to run all their freezers which are opened up a ""Mill" times a day letting out the coldness incl., all of the refrigeration along with all of their lighting. The wages they pay their staff. Sick leave & holiday pay plus loading to staff. Sick leave & all of the superannuation they have to account for their staff as well. When that is all added up, "Wot" then is the total cost. That's all before the cost of the produce which has to be purchased by the supermarkets before it is stored & shelved for us to buy.

When the "BIG" picture is looked at, there is an almighty cost to the companies involved.

I, for one don't complain abt prices, I just keep looking for the specials & best buys. Sometimes one just has to do a bit of leg & foot work. Also, it's keeping people employed which is the ultimate equation.

Reactions: DLHM and Taurusgirl
Well, the customer bought cottage cheese, probably cost abt $4 or so, eggs $5, deodorant $6 total of $15. So what the hell else was bought ? One can only guess. At least another $57 worth of stuff not mentioned. Who's having who on. At least someone is getting their 5minutes of fame. Seems like a load of complete & utter "BS" to me. Didn't mention the couple of kilo's of "Eye Fillet" steak they bought which would have easily made up the extra cost. Give us a break.
Try from $10 to $11.50 per carton of 12 "organic" eggs. There's $20 to $23 right there!

From the Coles website:-

As we are in a democracy, you choose where and when to shop. As for only making $2.75 per hundred dollars on a hundred dollars shop, is bullshit, when then same shops sell Lamb at $30.00 to $18.00 per kilo, they were paying Producers $4 .35 @kilo, you do not make billions selling at reasonable prices. Please do your sums.
Don't have Ald's in Hobart.Talking about lamb though can anyone remember been able to get a side of lamb for 19c a kilo ?

I hardly shop at Aldi, they do not sell the products that I buy.
Were is all there Gluten Free Wheat Free, that I buy, they hardly have any of those things.
You people need to look at the big picture, do you only want to eat what Aldi sells, well then I would be staving. Were is there Plant based Food that I eat a lot of.
Also you have to pack your shopping.
I also stock up on specials which saves me a lot of money.
And you never get any Rewards from shopping at Aldi, you might pay a bit more but it is worth it to be able to have choices at what you have buy.
I rest my Case.

Excuses by Woolies and Coles doesn't fly... Aldi has the same issues, PLUS they import their Special Buys, which are practical and affordable, which many people would have less opportunity to purchase anywhere else.
Aldi sells a lot of Australian produce, supports local workforce and regard their shoppers with some respect (in my opinion).
Aldi is my preferred store.

I hardly shop at Aldi, they do not sell the products that I buy.
Were is all there Gluten Free Wheat Free, that I buy, they hardly have any of those things.
You people need to look at the big picture, do you only want to eat what Aldi sells, well then I would be staving. Were is there Plant based Food that I eat a lot of.
Also you have to pack your shopping.
I also stock up on specials which saves me a lot of money.
And you never get any Rewards from shopping at Aldi, you might pay a bit more but it is worth it to be able to have choices at what you have buy.
I rest my Case.
I think you're hoodwinked, nothing for nothing the reason you get rewards is the very rewards you get you're paying for. 😉

They need to check the quality of Fruit at Aldi especially if you buy pre-packed. You will be lucky if at least one item doesn't need to go in green waste. I have witnessed fruit being unpacked a few times. Some of their loose isn't that fresh either. A lot of their generic brand products could originate from overseas. Some are just labelled packed in Australia. The product may have come from overseas in bulk and been packed here.

Why dont you pay to see the Choice results, and learn the truth.
They also opened all products and did scientific research on volume, and quality.
Also, FYI Aldi sell a much greater percentage of Australian products then the others.

Did they check the actual origin of the products. If they are packed or distributed under an Australian name it doesn't necessarily mean the products themselves are manufactured or grown in Aust.

It is amazing that some shoppers will compare the dearest items from Coles and Woolies to the cheapest from Aldi.
if they purchased the Coles Simply brand it would have been on par.
No it would not. Coles Simply is a home brand, whereas ALDI does not have home brand. Just because the brand name may not be familiar does not mean they are poorer-quality items.

No it would not. Coles Simply is a home brand, whereas ALDI does not have home brand. Just because the brand name may not be familiar does not mean they are poorer-quality items.
Aldi does have a "generic" (home brand). I can't remember the brand name though. When I see it again I will recognize it unless have cancelled it.

In reply to EBBY'. When I was an apprentice butcher latter 1960 - 65, in our suburb of work there were 8 butcher shops operating. Our shop was the dearest of all with 9 workers incl., cashier & the boss as well.

Our lamb prices for chops were 3/11d pence/lb. Cutlets 3d (pence) each. Hogget chops 1/9d /lb. I used to say to myself, "How can people afford paying 6/11d / lb for eye fillet steak" ? Rump steak was cheaper at 6/9d /lb. The good old snags were abt 1/3 - 6d /lb. Then there were the pork & veal prices as well.

Yes, as with many others of us still around, I remember those prices well.

All of us were allowed 1 pound & 10 shillings, i.e., $3 in todays money, worth of meat free to take home. Anything extra we paid shop price for.

Ah, for the good old days & where you worked your guts out. There are plenty of older butchers around who can relate to those days. Amen.