How often should you replace your towels? Here’s the ‘shocking’ answer

It’s no secret that we here at SDC love a clean and organised living space.

When making sure our homes and the items within them are clean, we like to believe we know a thing or two about how often various items should be cleaned.

However, when it comes to the specifics, we have to admit that we’re not entirely sure about the answers.

Take towels for instance. How often should you really be washing them?

Well, according to professional organiser Anita Birges, you should be washing your bath towels after three to five uses.

‘Let me tell you, I was a little bit shocked and you might be as well,’ she said in a video.

‘Wash after three to five uses on a high temperature of 60C to ensure you kill any germs lurking in there.’

The same advice is given by the American Cleaning Institute, an organisation that represents the cleaning products industry.

towels-2822910_1280.jpg
The primary reason people wash their bathroom towels is visual cleanliness (67%), followed by smell (61%) and number of uses (58%). Image source: Pixabay

However, many people were surprised by how often they were supposed to change their towels, and some shared how frequently they washed them instead.

‘Once every two weeks. I use two towels every month. And only use the tip for my face,’ one shared.

Another confessed: ‘I do mine once a month. Feels pointless doing it more often.’

One said: ‘It depends [on] how well the towel is allowed to dry. I usually grab a fresh bath towel after three to four uses but a week is fine if it’s well-ventilated.’

Another wrote: ‘Going say every two to four weeks but I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s every six weeks.’

In fact, a recent survey by UK-based hardware store Showers to You revealed some surprising facts about people's hygiene habits.

Shockingly, more than 1.5 million people in the UK (3 per cent) admitted to washing their bath towels only once a year. Men were five times more likely than women to fall into this category.

Around 8% of respondents cleaned their towels twice a year, while a third of those surveyed (33%) washed them every three months.

However, there's some good news for bathroom hygiene—nearly 38% of people reported washing their towels once a month, 24% used a fresh towel every week, and 5% replaced their towels every day after a shower.

Back home, the towel situation is a bit more optimistic.

In ABC’s 2021 Australia Talks National Survey, around 1% of 60,000 Aussies surveyed said they changed their towels ‘less than once’ a year, or never!

On the other end, 61% said they changed several times a month, 30% said several times weekly, and 3% a whopping once daily.

Showers to You’s report highlighted that freshly washed towels contain 190,000 bacteria counts. This number increases to 17 million after one day of use and can soar as high as 94 million after a week.

Dermatologist Dr Hamdan Abdullah Hamed pointed out the importance of maintaining proper hygiene in our daily routines, including how we use and care for our bathroom towels.

‘Regular washing of bathroom towels is important to maintain cleanliness and reduce the risk of infection,’ the dermatologist said.

‘Towels tend to accumulate moisture, creating an environment conducive to bacterial and fungal growth.

‘Bacteria like staphylococcus aureus can lead to skin infections, while fungi like Candida yeast can cause issues like athlete’s foot or yeast infections.’

soap-dispenser-2337697_1280.jpg
In an upcoming study by Charles Gerba, a microbiologist at the University of Arizona, it was discovered that almost 90% of bathroom towels have coliform bacteria, which is commonly found in human faeces. Image source: Pixabay

Dr Hamed also stressed that dirty towels can contain allergens that trigger allergic reactions or skin irritations in sensitive individuals.

‘Therefore, it is recommended to wash towels after every three to four uses to eliminate bacteria, dirt, dead skin cells, and allergens, ensuring optimal hygiene and minimising health risks,’ he added.
Key Takeaways

• Professional organiser Anita Birges advises washing bath towels every three to five uses at 60C to kill germs.
  • A Showers to You survey found that over 1.5 million UK residents washed their bath towels only once a year, with men more likely to do so.
  • Freshly washed towels contain 190,000 bacteria, increasing to 17 million after one day and 94 million after a week of use.
  • Dermatologist Dr Hamdan Abdullah Hamed stresses regular towel washing to maintain cleanliness and reduce infection risk due to moisture buildup.
So members, how frequently do you wash your towels? Do you follow the recommended three to five-wash interval? Please share your thoughts in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored

When making sure our homes and the items within them are clean, we like to believe we know a thing or two about how often various items should be cleaned.

However, when it comes to the specifics, we have to admit that we’re not entirely sure about the answers.

Well, according to professional organiser Anita Birges, you should be washing your bath towels after three to five uses.

‘Let me tell you, I was a little bit shocked and you might be as well,’ she said in a video.

‘Wash after three to five uses on a high temperature of 60C to ensure you kill any germs lurking in there.’

The same advice is given by the American Cleaning Institute, an organisation that represents the cleaning products industry.

View attachment 31770
The primary reason people wash their bathroom towels is visual cleanliness (67%), followed by smell (61%) and number of uses (58%). Image source: Pixabay

However, many people were surprised by how often they were supposed to change their towels, and some shared how frequently they washed them instead.

‘Once every two weeks. I use two towels every month. And only use the tip for my face,’ one shared.

Another confessed: ‘I do mine once a month. Feels pointless doing it more often.’

One said: ‘It depends [on] how well the towel is allowed to dry. I usually grab a fresh bath towel after three to four uses but a week is fine if it’s well-ventilated.’

Another wrote: ‘Going say every two to four weeks but I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s every six weeks.’

In fact, a recent survey by UK-based hardware store Showers to You revealed some surprising facts about people's hygiene habits.

Shockingly, more than 1.5 million people in the UK (3 per cent) admitted to washing their bath towels only once a year. Men were five times more likely than women to fall into this category.

Around 8% of respondents cleaned their towels twice a year, while a third of those surveyed (33%) washed them every three months.

However, there's some good news for bathroom hygiene—nearly 38% of people reported washing their towels once a month, 24% used a fresh towel every week, and 5% replaced their towels every day after a shower.

In ABC’s 2021 Australia Talks National Survey, around 1% of 60,000 Aussies surveyed said they changed their towels ‘less than once’ a year, or never!

On the other end, 61% said they changed several times a month, 30% said several times weekly, and 3% a whopping once daily.

Showers to You’s report highlighted that freshly washed towels contain 190,000 bacteria counts. This number increases to 17 million after one day of use and can soar as high as 94 million after a week.

Dermatologist Dr Hamdan Abdullah Hamed pointed out the importance of maintaining proper hygiene in our daily routines, including how we use and care for our bathroom towels.

‘Regular washing of bathroom towels is important to maintain cleanliness and reduce the risk of infection,’ the dermatologist said.

‘Towels tend to accumulate moisture, creating an environment conducive to bacterial and fungal growth.

‘Bacteria like staphylococcus aureus can lead to skin infections, while fungi like Candida yeast can cause issues like athlete’s foot or yeast infections.’

View attachment 31769
In an upcoming study by Charles Gerba, a microbiologist at the University of Arizona, it was discovered that almost 90% of bathroom towels have coliform bacteria, which is commonly found in human faeces. Image source: Pixabay

Dr Hamed also stressed that dirty towels can contain allergens that trigger allergic reactions or skin irritations in sensitive individuals.

‘Therefore, it is recommended to wash towels after every three to four uses to eliminate bacteria, dirt, dead skin cells, and allergens, ensuring optimal hygiene and minimising health risks,’ he added.
Key Takeaways

• Professional organiser Anita Birges advises washing bath towels every three to five uses at 60C to kill germs.
  • A Showers to You survey found that over 1.5 million UK residents washed their bath towels only once a year, with men more likely to do so.
  • Freshly washed towels contain 190,000 bacteria, increasing to 17 million after one day and 94 million after a week of use.
  • Dermatologist Dr Hamdan Abdullah Hamed stresses regular towel washing to maintain cleanliness and reduce infection risk due to moisture buildup.
So members, how frequently do you wash your towels? Do you follow the recommended three to five-wash interval? Please share your thoughts in the comments below!
Twice a week

Reactions: bluetang

View attachment 31770

View attachment 31769

Key Takeaways

So members, how frequently do you wash your towels? Do you follow the recommended three to five-wash interval? Please share your thoughts in the comments
I live alone, put 2 towels out a and use them turn and about. Wash them at the end of the week. Frankly if l had amassed the germs the Experts say I should probably have caught some dread disease.

View attachment 31770

View attachment 31769

Key Takeaways

I am amazed how often people {or lack thereof} wash their towels. With me it's every two to three days, it stems back from my childhood, there were 11 in the family and mum always washed towels every couple of days - mind you my brothers always left them hanging around on the floor.

Reactions: Gsr

View attachment 31770

View attachment 31769

Key Takeaways

Weekly and they are aired daily weather permitting

Reactions: Littleboy8
Depends on the weather. If fine I air them in the sun after use, and use them for up to a week. If is rainy weather I usually only use them for about 3 days.

Reactions: Littleboy8
Change bath towels and hand towels, which are full size older bath towels, everyday. Hand towels in laundry and 2nd bathroom which are used less often I change every 3rd day. I wash all the used towels every 3rd day. Dry outside when fine, on airer under the ceiling fan if wet, finish off in clothes dryer on rare occasions they don’t dry properly on airer.