How often should you be replacing household items? Find out here!

Although there is no harm in being sentimental and reluctant to part with our personal belongings, a professional housekeeper advises that there are many items we use on a daily basis that should be changed far more frequently than we might care to admit.

The expert wrote a piece for a website aimed at homemakers in which she stressed the significance of maintaining a record of the ‘used-by’ dates of all of your home appliances, furnishings, and linens.

Personally, we think you should also do this with everything perishable that is currently stored in your refrigerator and kitchen pantry, but that is a subject for another discussion, so let's move on.

Here, we'll talk about the things we use every day and when it would be best to finally get rid of them and replace them with newer ones.

bbWJNj6Mgf7lrlh0K4JPUzyaGhUqGEzEi26yE_yFTtkSRfb-4xCsDyhuxFxWms2EB17VKa91l1JVWjoOOffuGKQsOODhhXS-Bhlhu0WqUrbTcbD1ZfX58MOXH6_db-32suYfIchZ23Uh_bPZwevgXC2Ndn0zOzbIBADORiITiUMsNXn6hqS0lRKA3A

Some things we use every day should be replaced more often than we might think. Credit: Shutterstock.

When should you replace these things in your home?

Beddings and sheets: Two years

Regardless of how often and how carefully you wash your sheets, you still need to replace them every two years. There is, however, an exception to this rule: if it is made from high-quality linen, it can be kept for up to five years as long as it does not seem to be severely damaged or worn out.

Towels: Two years

Towels, much like bedsheets, should only be used in your home for a maximum of two years and should be washed every two or three times before being reused.

The more they are washed, the less they will absorb. It is time to get a new set of towels when they become less effective at absorbing water; in most cases, this occurs at around the two-year mark.

Toilet brushes: Six to twelve months

This one is self-explanatory.

Shower curtain: Three months

Unless well-cleaned but you don’t want any mould hanging around.

Bathroom mats: One year

Like towels, whenever it stops being absorbant.

Door mats: It depends

Once the bristles become worn out.

Kitchen sponges: It depends

Once they look worn or begin to smell.

Non-stick pans: Five years

In general, non-stick pans have a long lifespan, but when their surfaces start to degrade and lose their non-stick quality, it may be time to replace them.

Small appliances (toasters, blenders, and coffee grinders): Ten to twelve years

Depending on how frequently they are used, smaller home appliances such as toasters, blenders, and coffee grinders can have a lifespan of anywhere from ten to twelve years.

However, there are other parts, such as filters, that need to be inspected more frequently and replaced once every six months. There are usually filters in vacuum cleaners, microwaves, and dishwashers as well, so make sure to check them regularly too.

sqmnKo-vAnwGyDTlRW8_HVJkETzOswJFl51LcZVIFiS3KLjJeTo1S05f3cKXmwQAsRH5ixjyBPjFuKTjTzQ7WC5n6BAgof1zOvz2aEpSOja-ma_1gAXVCRQ04ZTaeHKfprp-8p-Rv434FgtoJU8YWRVUJ70McNOPeMQ0AWBi1isR4LuFirwOiUY9rg

With the right care and protection, a couch can survive for up to fifteen years. Credit: Better Homes and Gardens.

Couch: Seven to fifteen years

Couches are among the items in our house that have the potential to last the longest; however, this depends on whether or not they are protected from their surroundings. However, there are a number of things that can shorten this, like excessive use, sharp items piercing the cover, or animals (especially cats) scratching the surface.

Bedroom pillows: One to two years

Keep in mind that bed pillows can also become a breeding ground for bacteria, so in addition to washing them frequently, you should replace them every two years.

Throw pillows: Five to ten years

On the other hand, throw pillows don't get used as often, so they can last anywhere from five to ten years.

Mattresses: Seven to eight years

Just like with bedding, how long a mattress lasts depends on its quality, who uses it, and the weather, because it can be an ideal place for bacteria to grow.

So what do you think about this list, members? Do you follow these guidelines for replacing common household items?

We must admit that several of these are already past their prime in our home, so we better visit the shops for newer ones! If you have more to add to the list, please feel free to comment below.

Sponsored
Although there is no harm in being sentimental and reluctant to part with our personal belongings, a professional housekeeper advises that there are many items we use on a daily basis that should be changed far more frequently than we might care to admit.

The expert wrote a piece for a website aimed at homemakers in which she stressed the significance of maintaining a record of the ‘used-by’ dates of all of your home appliances, furnishings, and linens.

Personally, we think you should also do this with everything perishable that is currently stored in your refrigerator and kitchen pantry, but that is a subject for another discussion, so let's move on.

Here, we'll talk about the things we use every day and when it would be best to finally get rid of them and replace them with newer ones.

bbWJNj6Mgf7lrlh0K4JPUzyaGhUqGEzEi26yE_yFTtkSRfb-4xCsDyhuxFxWms2EB17VKa91l1JVWjoOOffuGKQsOODhhXS-Bhlhu0WqUrbTcbD1ZfX58MOXH6_db-32suYfIchZ23Uh_bPZwevgXC2Ndn0zOzbIBADORiITiUMsNXn6hqS0lRKA3A

Some things we use every day should be replaced more often than we might think. Credit: Shutterstock.

Regardless of how often and how carefully you wash your sheets, you still need to replace them every two years. There is, however, an exception to this rule: if it is made from high-quality linen, it can be kept for up to five years as long as it does not seem to be severely damaged or worn out.

Towels, much like bedsheets, should only be used in your home for a maximum of two years and should be washed every two or three times before being reused.

The more they are washed, the less they will absorb. It is time to get a new set of towels when they become less effective at absorbing water; in most cases, this occurs at around the two-year mark.

In general, non-stick pans have a long lifespan, but when their surfaces start to degrade and lose their non-stick quality, it may be time to replace them.

Depending on how frequently they are used, smaller home appliances such as toasters, blenders, and coffee grinders can have a lifespan of anywhere from ten to twelve years.

However, there are other parts, such as filters, that need to be inspected more frequently and replaced once every six months. There are usually filters in vacuum cleaners, microwaves, and dishwashers as well, so make sure to check them regularly too.

sqmnKo-vAnwGyDTlRW8_HVJkETzOswJFl51LcZVIFiS3KLjJeTo1S05f3cKXmwQAsRH5ixjyBPjFuKTjTzQ7WC5n6BAgof1zOvz2aEpSOja-ma_1gAXVCRQ04ZTaeHKfprp-8p-Rv434FgtoJU8YWRVUJ70McNOPeMQ0AWBi1isR4LuFirwOiUY9rg

With the right care and protection, a couch can survive for up to fifteen years. Credit: Better Homes and Gardens.

Couches are among the items in our house that have the potential to last the longest; however, this depends on whether or not they are protected from their surroundings. However, there are a number of things that can shorten this, like excessive use, sharp items piercing the cover, or animals (especially cats) scratching the surface.

Keep in mind that bed pillows can also become a breeding ground for bacteria, so in addition to washing them frequently, you should replace them every two years.

On the other hand, throw pillows don't get used as often, so they can last anywhere from five to ten years.

Just like with bedding, how long a mattress lasts depends on its quality, who uses it, and the weather, because it can be an ideal place for bacteria to grow.

So what do you think about this list, members? Do you follow these guidelines for replacing common household items?

We must admit that several of these are already past their prime in our home, so we better visit the shops for newer ones! If you have more to add to the list, please feel free to comment below.
Can we add Husbands to that list. I had mine for almost 43 years and he’s really starting to full apart, a Double Lung transplant, two shoulder replacements, broken bones from Lung transplant Medication and the list goes on. I feel he is well over due to be replaced lol

Can we add Husbands to that list. I had mine for almost 43 years and he’s really starting to full apart, a Double Lung transplant, two shoulder replacements, broken bones from Lung transplant Medication and the list goes on. I feel he is well over due to be replaced lol
😆😆my sister has had hers for the same length of time as you and heart attack, quadruple bypass, diabetes and circulation issues had her thinking the same as you. I’ve only had my current model for 18 years and he’s still going 👍😆😆

You forgot to add pillow protectors doonas and underlays, unless of course you launder them often and air in the sun. I do air all mine regularly - good to do this time of year once we get a warm windy day

Mine for 52 years and almost the same. Mind you I'm not going to fall off the twig first as I couldn't bear the thought he'd marry again and someone else would get the benefit of all those years of training!

Well... "Baa Humbug" why on earth would you be so stupid as to replace good linen unless its falling into holes.. Who is so wealthy that they follow such a regime ?...this is stupid nonsense....as kids ( one of eight ) I remember repaired sheets, sheets cut in half & sewn up the center joining side selvages , to get a few more months wear & tear, I remember thread bare towels that still served their purpose...I truly find pleasure in my still fluffy four year old towels, & my still going strong six year old sheets, admittedly they are good quality & I have four pair to cycle ..

My mattress has a 15 year warranty !!!

Dish clothes I don't wait until it smell.. yuk, and I can't smell so that gets replaced every 3 days or so.

Sheets I keep until they start getting thin maybe 10 years I do use Sheridan.

Towels when they start getting holes.

Pillows I do change 18 months usually it has a change date on it.

Couches I change when I want a change

Didn't see toothbrushes on your list. Believe it's three monthly or sooner if bristles breaking down.

I would like to see the scientific evidence to support all the above assertions.

My items mostly get changed on a needs must basis. I'm not in the habit of throwing away perfectly serviceable things. They might work their ways down the food chain though, pillows get used for dog beds, towels likewise used for dogs or along with old bedding donated to my local animal charity.:D

I am quite old and wise enough to know when my sheets/ towels couch etc.. need replacing!!
I really don’t need some jumped up ‘influencer’ or other ‘expert’ to tell me when these things are getting old!
I did not come down in the last rainstorm!
I would suggest not any of the members here require this ‘education’

I would like to see the scientific evidence to support all the above assertions.

I am quite old and wise enough to know when my sheets/ towels couch etc.. need replacing!!
I really don’t need some jumped up ‘influencer’ or other ‘expert’ to tell me when these things are getting old!
I did not come down in the last rainstorm!
I would suggest not any of the members here require this ‘education’
🤣

I understand that you need to change pillows regular which I hate getting use to new ones

But if you look after things properly why do you need to change things so regular.

If you Need to change a mattress every 7 years why then do they give a 15 years warranty like I have on mine.

I know it's the retail sector that has put this list out just to try and get us to spend money
🙂

I understand that you need to change pillows regular which I hate getting use to new ones

But if you look after things properly why do you need to change things so regular.

If you Need to change a mattress every 7 years why then do they give a 15 years warranty like I have on mine.

I know it's the retail sector that has put this list out just to try and get us to spend money
🙂
Mi wife is asthmatic so anything at home is cleaned asap, as said to my friends, if one day I am not at home, check into the washing machine because It look like I don’t have time to get my clothes out when arrive at home.