How not visiting your loved ones may shorten their lifespan, according to a new study

Just a trigger warning members! As this article discusses isolation, loneliness and death. If you’re ever in need of some help and support you can reach out to these incredible mental health hotlines.

Seeing someone you love just once a month could make a world of difference if you want them to live a longer, healthier life, new research suggests. In an effort to better understand the impacts of social isolation on longevity, researchers at the University of Glasgow tracked the health of nearly 500,000 adults and found that lack of social engagement can raise your risk of dying early.

The study, published in the journal BMC Medicine, found that not being visited by family or friends at least once a month, living alone, and feeling a lack of emotional support all independently increase a person’s chances of passing away sooner than expected.

What’s worse is that the higher the number of social isolation factors, the higher the likelihood of early death. People experiencing multiple forms of isolation – such as living alone and never being visited by family or friends – had a 77% higher risk compared to those who lived with someone else or someone who received friends and family visits daily.

people-playing-bingo-together_23-2149212491.jpg
Loved ones are a part of what makes life meaningful. Image: Freepik.

But the news isn’t all bad. The study showed that even one social contact per month can reduce mortality risk by a significant amount. Visiting your lonely relatives at least every four weeks could therefore significantly improve their chances of living a healthier life.

The researchers believe this risk stems from a combination of factors. Those who feel isolated may be more likely to indulge in unhealthy habits such as smoking or excessive alcohol consumption, and not having someone to help you in times of need or keep you company when you’re unwell can amplify the negative effects these behaviours have on longevity.

The lead author, Dr Hamish Foster from the University of Glasgow, further noted that direct biological impacts on the body’s natural defences can also come into play. 'It is possible that feeling lonely or cut off from the world activates pathways that, over time, reduce the effectiveness of the immune system,' he said.

The results of this study paint a very concerning picture for elderly people who may lack social engagements, such as those who have lost a partner or suffer from mobility problems. Feeling lonely and isolated can become a vicious cycle that could be difficult to break without support.

Dr Roman Raczka, the president-elect of the British Psychological Society, highlighted the importance of recognising loneliness and social isolation as pressing public health issues.

Caroline Abrahams from Age UK also noted the importance of confidants that can motivate older adults to address health concerns. 'It’s really easy for all of us, at any age, to ignore a health concern and put off doing something about it, but having someone close we can confide in can make a real difference.'

full-shot-happy-family-nature_23-2149049239.jpg
It’s important to be with family and friends from time to time. Image: Freepik.

So what can you do to help combat isolation for yourself or your loved ones? Here are some tips:

- Schedule regular visits, calls, or video chats (even monthly makes a difference!)

- Offer to assist with transportation to doctor visits OR ask for assistance.

- Encourage / engage in social hobbies and group activities

- Listen without judgement and provide emotional support to those around you

- Help bridge connections in your community and social circles, even encouraging lonely friends to join the Seniors Discount Club so they can always chat with us on the forum and get our newsletter every day.

- Speak up if you notice signs of depression or health issues in yourself or your friends.

Key Takeaways

• University of Glasgow's research has stated that not visiting loved ones at least once a month and leading a solitary life significantly increases the risk of early death.
  • The study found that individuals who were never visited by friends or family were 53% more likely to die from cardiovascular disease and had a 39% increased risk of death.
  • According to the study, visiting at least once a month could reduce this risk as there appears to be a protective effect from social interaction.
  • The study did not determine why social isolation and loneliness increased mortality risk, but suggested unhealthy behaviours like smoking or high alcohol consumption, or lack of assistance in seeking medical help could be factors.

The impact of showing up for loved ones in your life cannot be understated. So, set a reminder to reach out to any isolated family or friends you haven’t seen in a while – it could have more meaning than you know. And, if you’re feeling isolated yourself, reach out to your family and friends, or, jump on our Meet the Members or Members Helping Members forum to make some new friends! What do you think of this story? Share your thoughts in the comments!

Reactions: NoelleM and Ezzy
Sponsored
I once worked as secretary to the nursing unit manager in an aged care facility and it was very sad to see the number of people who had no visitors, especially dementia patients.
How can people treat their family like that.
There were many amusing incidents however. One lovely old man would ask me every day if I was on the same cruise as him, bless him. For some reason he thought I was Lady Di and would always bow to me.
Another old dear was once very upset and kept telling me they killed the baby. Most of the staff were at lunch or busy so I took her to her room and went to the kitchen and made her a cup of tea. When I got back she was still upset, I tried to call her down and said, no darling, there's no baby here, to which she replied "of course there isn't, you stupid thing, I told you they killed it".
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
Luckily a nurse came along and I scurried back to my office.
I didn't work there very long, on the whole I found it too distressing.

I used to live alone in my 2 bed unit. Sometimes it was lonely, but most of the time I enjoyed my own company. Now my daughter and 5 year old grandson have moved in to save money for a house deposit. Its nice having them, but sometimes I miss having my place to myself.

Just a trigger warning members! As this article discusses isolation, loneliness and death. If you’re ever in need of some help and support you can reach out to these incredible mental health hotlines.

Seeing someone you love just once a month could make a world of difference if you want them to live a longer, healthier life, new research suggests. In an effort to better understand the impacts of social isolation on longevity, researchers at the University of Glasgow tracked the health of nearly 500,000 adults and found that lack of social engagement can raise your risk of dying early.

The study, published in the journal BMC Medicine, found that not being visited by family or friends at least once a month, living alone, and feeling a lack of emotional support all independently increase a person’s chances of passing away sooner than expected.

What’s worse is that the higher the number of social isolation factors, the higher the likelihood of early death. People experiencing multiple forms of isolation – such as living alone and never being visited by family or friends – had a 77% higher risk compared to those who lived with someone else or someone who received friends and family visits daily.

View attachment 34704
Loved ones are a part of what makes life meaningful. Image: Freepik.

But the news isn’t all bad. The study showed that even one social contact per month can reduce mortality risk by a significant amount. Visiting your lonely relatives at least every four weeks could therefore significantly improve their chances of living a healthier life.

The researchers believe this risk stems from a combination of factors. Those who feel isolated may be more likely to indulge in unhealthy habits such as smoking or excessive alcohol consumption, and not having someone to help you in times of need or keep you company when you’re unwell can amplify the negative effects these behaviours have on longevity.

The lead author, Dr Hamish Foster from the University of Glasgow, further noted that direct biological impacts on the body’s natural defences can also come into play. 'It is possible that feeling lonely or cut off from the world activates pathways that, over time, reduce the effectiveness of the immune system,' he said.

The results of this study paint a very concerning picture for elderly people who may lack social engagements, such as those who have lost a partner or suffer from mobility problems. Feeling lonely and isolated can become a vicious cycle that could be difficult to break without support.

Dr Roman Raczka, the president-elect of the British Psychological Society, highlighted the importance of recognising loneliness and social isolation as pressing public health issues.

Caroline Abrahams from Age UK also noted the importance of confidants that can motivate older adults to address health concerns. 'It’s really easy for all of us, at any age, to ignore a health concern and put off doing something about it, but having someone close we can confide in can make a real difference.'

View attachment 34706
It’s important to be with family and friends from time to time. Image: Freepik.

So what can you do to help combat isolation for yourself or your loved ones? Here are some tips:

- Schedule regular visits, calls, or video chats (even monthly makes a difference!)

- Offer to assist with transportation to doctor visits OR ask for assistance.

- Encourage / engage in social hobbies and group activities

- Listen without judgement and provide emotional support to those around you

- Help bridge connections in your community and social circles, even encouraging lonely friends to join the Seniors Discount Club so they can always chat with us on the forum and get our newsletter every day.

- Speak up if you notice signs of depression or health issues in yourself or your friends.

Key Takeaways

• University of Glasgow's research has stated that not visiting loved ones at least once a month and leading a solitary life significantly increases the risk of early death.
  • The study found that individuals who were never visited by friends or family were 53% more likely to die from cardiovascular disease and had a 39% increased risk of death.
  • According to the study, visiting at least once a month could reduce this risk as there appears to be a protective effect from social interaction.
  • The study did not determine why social isolation and loneliness increased mortality risk, but suggested unhealthy behaviours like smoking or high alcohol consumption, or lack of assistance in seeking medical help could be factors.

The impact of showing up for loved ones in your life cannot be understated. So, set a reminder to reach out to any isolated family or friends you haven’t seen in a while – it could have more meaning than you know. And, if you’re feeling isolated yourself, reach out to your family and friends, or, jump on our Meet the Members or Members Helping Members forum to make some new friends! What do you think of this story? Share your thoughts in the comments!
I'm isolated and dreadfully lonely, I have no friends, relatives or family 😭😭😭

I'm isolated and dreadfully lonely, I have no friends, relatives or family 😭😭😭
It may be time to move to a leisure village. There is a club house where you can indulge in a cup of coffee. It is interesting if you help another through loneliness it helps you as well . Same for volunteering at vinnies or any of the food centres

It may be time to move to a leisure village. There is a club house where you can indulge in a cup of coffee. It is interesting if you help another through loneliness it helps you as well . Same for volunteering at vinnies or any of the food centres
I'm not old enough to go to those villages

A friend of mine lives in a 50's and over village rental. I don't know if you have something like that near you. At least you would be around other people.

Reactions: marni