How holding a sunglasses case while driving could cost you $387: Shocking truth from a roadside camera incident!

In the age of advanced technology and heightened road safety measures, Australian drivers are finding themselves under the watchful eye of roadside cameras more than ever before. These cameras, designed to catch out those using their mobile phones while driving, are a testament to the country's commitment to reducing road accidents. However, as with all technology, there are kinks to be ironed out, and sometimes, innocent drivers bear the brunt of these imperfections.

Take the recent case of Ms. Lee, a Sydney resident who faced a hefty $387 fine and five demerit points for what was perceived as a driving offence. But here's the twist: Ms. Lee insists she wasn't committing any offence at all. Instead of a phone, she was holding her sunglasses case – a simple, yet costly, misunderstanding.

The incident occurred as Ms. Lee was travelling from Melbourne to Sydney on January 9, along the Hume Highway near Sutton Forest. A phone detection camera captured an image of her with a square item on her lap, which she claims was the case for her sunglasses. 'It was in the evening, so I removed my sunglasses, that's what I was doing. It looks like my sunglasses cover,' she explained to Yahoo News. With Android Auto at her disposal, Ms. Lee had no need to physically handle her phone, as voice commands would suffice.

compressed-shutterstock_1231965964.jpeg
Ms Lee was fined $387 and received five demerit points for allegedly holding her phone while driving, as captured by a roadside camera. Credit: Shutterstock

Upon receiving the infringement notice in the mail, Ms. Lee was confident that she could present evidence to clear her name through an appeal. However, her hopes were dashed when Revenue NSW reviewed the images and maintained that the fine was correctly issued, stating, 'a driver in a vehicle that is not parked cannot hold a phone in their hand or against their body.'

Despite her efforts, including submitting a reenacted photo showing the sunglasses case, the authorities remained unmoved. This left Ms. Lee, who had been made redundant the month before, with no choice but to enter into a payment instalment plan to settle the fine.

The frustration Ms. Lee experienced is not an isolated incident. With new camera technology set to be implemented from July 1 in NSW, concerns are mounting over the accuracy of these devices. Sydney motorist Andy Man expressed his distrust, citing instances where acquaintances were mistakenly fined for holding objects other than mobile phones, such as wallets and cigarette cases.

The issue is not just about the financial burden; it's about the principle of fairness and the reliability of the system. When a Sydney driver was wrongly fined for handling his wallet and another for holding a children's toy, it became clear that the technology is not infallible.

As we navigate this era of technological enforcement, it's crucial for authorities to ensure that the systems in place are as foolproof as possible. Drivers should not have to pay the price for technological errors, especially during times when many are struggling financially.

For our readers at the Seniors Discount Club, we understand that such incidents can be particularly distressing. It's important to remember that if you believe you've been wrongly fined, you have the right to appeal. Keep all relevant evidence, such as photos or receipts, and be persistent in your communication with the authorities.
Key Takeaways
  • Ms Lee received a fine of $387 and five demerit points after being photographed by a roadside camera which alleged she was holding her phone while driving.
  • She claims the item was her sunglasses case and not her phone and submitted evidence as part of her appeal, which was rejected by Revenue NSW.
  • This instance raises concerns about the accuracy of new camera technology used in NSW for detecting driving offences.
  • Motorists have experienced similar mistaken identity issues with these cameras, leading to unwarranted fines and demerit points for items mistaken for mobile phones.
We'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences on this matter. Have you or someone you know been affected by a similar situation? How do you feel about the increasing use of roadside cameras? Share your stories and join the conversation in the comments below. Let's ensure that our voices are heard and that the roads remain safe for everyone – without the unnecessary penalties.

Sponsored
Ms Lee was able to prove this was not a mobile phone therefore this fine should have been reversed.

There is a vast difference between a glass case & a mobile phone, surely?
I know mobiles can be small but normally a different shape to a glass case.

Reactions: Colette 3799
Some new cars actually have buttons for some of those things on their steering wheel now. I've witnessed it and couldn't believe my eyes.

Re wearing glasses while driving I was shocked to learn that air bags often hit the driver in their face, glasses break and you get glass in your eyes. I know a lady who had an accident - hit on the left rear corner of her car.
The other driver was speeding tried to pass on the left side of her on a single lane road. One of the first questions both the Police and Ambulance staff was did she have glasses on at all. Over the years the size of tine on windscreens has been reduced. Even with your visors down the sun comes in around the sides of them. Sometimes I wonder if that is part of the cause of accidents because you are suddenly "blinded"

fiddling with sun glass case or phone what's the difference
Isn't that like asking someone 'if they know the difference between an Elephant's trunk & a letterbox' isn't it? If the reply is, 'No', you would tell them, 'lt's no good giving you a letter to post!'

Isn't that like asking someone 'if they know the difference between an Elephant's trunk & a letterbox' isn't it? If the reply is, 'No', you would tell them, 'lt's no good giving you a letter to post!'
what the hell is that sort of reply?