How fast you walk (and how many steps you take) could be a factor in developing dementia, research suggests

Folks, we know you probably don't need us to tell you that walking is beneficial for your health, either in the long or short term.

Even just half an hour of walking every day can improve your heart health, strengthen your bones, get rid of extra body fat, and make your muscles stronger and more durable. It can also make you less likely to develop heart disease, type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis, some types of cancer, and even dementia.

And the best part is probably how easy and accessible walking is – it doesn't cost anything, doesn't require any specific skills, and can be done by anyone, anywhere, anytime!

86g9qp1kJt3ePYLMtzjWL_r499z4-hAlHnViQBDslEVVg3MyWeEj4v9UlTrXUUhtEgn3e3gQl7P1vfLWEf1kD4pJOWSWO1V4_LTpDKZHf1qDfudAwZ6aIavRvP_on_4Vz1ZHBcpRFYWaEf1uYF5KC-t8BdIuBXee78SBerFXcC4aOMpnBcbanFHCiA

Daily walks are one of the most beneficial and effective forms of exercise for older adults. Credit: City of Adelaide.

But how many steps do you need to take before you can get the benefits, especially if you want to reduce your risk for dementia?

A recent study suggests that in order to prevent the risk of cognitive deterioration, you need to do between 3,800 and 9,800 steps every day. Findings showed that people aged 40-79 who averaged 9,826 steps per day had a 50% lower risk of developing dementia during the following seven years.

But if you find it quite challenging to walk more than 6,000 steps a day, don't worry, because the study also found that people who walk about 3,800 steps a day at any speed cut their risk of dementia by 25%. So, this is a reasonable goal to begin with!

'4,000 steps is very doable by many, even those that are less fit or do not feel very motivated,' said Borja del Pozo Cruz, PhD, co-author of the study and an adjunct associate professor at the University of Southern Denmark.

'Perhaps, more active and fitter individuals should aim for 10,000 steps, where we see maximum effects.'

1gnNCf7Xh-yULe4V3EOYvjAQLITo2UcvGU7IierbvJLdfyQCR1JHmTegQVZdkpcvUI40hhiat7WHZB9p_fEfGGDar8dNvkR7XH_q8GwIkJPGFFyhyLKV02GIJ97a4IbnclJOPr1MqV9r-pZRFQMZH3zKE3AYHgvlbbUnIF1rSimu6MpgSnVHaF7raA

It's not just about how many steps you take; how quickly you take them also counts. Credit: Assembly/DigitalVision/Getty Images.
It wasn't only the total number of steps that mattered, though; the scientists also factored in how fast or slow one walked.

They found that the risk of dementia can be reduced by 57% with just 6,315 steps per day, and this benefit is even greater for those who walk with 'purpose' (i.e., at a rate of over 40 steps per minute).

'It is a brisk walking activity, like a power walk,' the researcher added.

The incidence of dementia was reduced by a whopping 62% among those who walked very quickly, at an average of 112 steps per minute, for 30 minutes each day. This is the largest percentage they have gathered from the results of their study!

According to data from previous studies, walking at a rate of 100 steps per minute (2.7 miles per hour) is already considered to be of a 'brisk' or moderate intensity, so you might need to step up your walking game beyond just 'brisk' if you want to achieve maximum risk reduction from dementia.

rmFNu90PL-Di8YC7FKBMuKR_yszT6TgUwsLceadgKWotbbaVjPYGvNbu1fcMXZcJqlOjoOOFq1GLur1uk_4jmyygWtJSSZDxP1o1Tc75WPlUTiNirWQeWJYBrQaNi7IR_D24Pxn5iHgpqGdrqHB3KBNEVxElA8VJnHcwWoP-uiwSaeu8l9s5bO4t8A

Having a step counter while you walk can help you track your progress. Credit: Dragonimages/Dreamstime.

You read it here, folks! If you want to know whether or not you're getting the health benefits of walking, you should wear a step counter while you go for your daily walk.

But if you don't have one, you can simply estimate your daily step goal by multiplying the number of steps you take in 10 seconds by 6, or the number of steps you take in 6 seconds by 10.

As always, we emphasise the need of getting your doctor's approval before beginning any new exercise routine, and that you should discontinue all physical activity immediately if any discomfort or pain develops.

Stay safe and healthy always, members!

Sponsored
I can see exactly what this is saying.

I love walking and upto a couple of months ago I was walking 10,000 to 15,000 steps equal to around 8km to 12 km . Then add the rest of my daily walking eg at home ect I was reaching 20,000 to 23,000.

I put this to helping me lose weight

It also put my head in the right head space.

I have a watch that tells me how much I've walked. My heart rate , my blood pressure plus so much more.
It also tells me I've rested enough to get up and move.

Since my surgery I can't walk so I haven't charged my watch .

Hopefully with in the next few weeks I will start walking again

Last edited:
Reactions: Annette V and Ricci
Folks, we know you probably don't need us to tell you that walking is beneficial for your health, either in the long or short term.

Even just half an hour of walking every day can improve your heart health, strengthen your bones, get rid of extra body fat, and make your muscles stronger and more durable. It can also make you less likely to develop heart disease, type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis, some types of cancer, and even dementia.

And the best part is probably how easy and accessible walking is – it doesn't cost anything, doesn't require any specific skills, and can be done by anyone, anywhere, anytime!

86g9qp1kJt3ePYLMtzjWL_r499z4-hAlHnViQBDslEVVg3MyWeEj4v9UlTrXUUhtEgn3e3gQl7P1vfLWEf1kD4pJOWSWO1V4_LTpDKZHf1qDfudAwZ6aIavRvP_on_4Vz1ZHBcpRFYWaEf1uYF5KC-t8BdIuBXee78SBerFXcC4aOMpnBcbanFHCiA

Daily walks are one of the most beneficial and effective forms of exercise for older adults. Credit: City of Adelaide.

But how many steps do you need to take before you can get the benefits, especially if you want to reduce your risk for dementia?

A recent study suggests that in order to prevent the risk of cognitive deterioration, you need to do between 3,800 and 9,800 steps every day. Findings showed that people aged 40-79 who averaged 9,826 steps per day had a 50% lower risk of developing dementia during the following seven years.

But if you find it quite challenging to walk more than 6,000 steps a day, don't worry, because the study also found that people who walk about 3,800 steps a day at any speed cut their risk of dementia by 25%. So, this is a reasonable goal to begin with!

'4,000 steps is very doable by many, even those that are less fit or do not feel very motivated,' said Borja del Pozo Cruz, PhD, co-author of the study and an adjunct associate professor at the University of Southern Denmark.

'Perhaps, more active and fitter individuals should aim for 10,000 steps, where we see maximum effects.'

1gnNCf7Xh-yULe4V3EOYvjAQLITo2UcvGU7IierbvJLdfyQCR1JHmTegQVZdkpcvUI40hhiat7WHZB9p_fEfGGDar8dNvkR7XH_q8GwIkJPGFFyhyLKV02GIJ97a4IbnclJOPr1MqV9r-pZRFQMZH3zKE3AYHgvlbbUnIF1rSimu6MpgSnVHaF7raA

It's not just about how many steps you take; how quickly you take them also counts. Credit: Assembly/DigitalVision/Getty Images.
It wasn't only the total number of steps that mattered, though; the scientists also factored in how fast or slow one walked.

They found that the risk of dementia can be reduced by 57% with just 6,315 steps per day, and this benefit is even greater for those who walk with 'purpose' (i.e., at a rate of over 40 steps per minute).

'It is a brisk walking activity, like a power walk,' the researcher added.

The incidence of dementia was reduced by a whopping 62% among those who walked very quickly, at an average of 112 steps per minute, for 30 minutes each day. This is the largest percentage they have gathered from the results of their study!

According to data from previous studies, walking at a rate of 100 steps per minute (2.7 miles per hour) is already considered to be of a 'brisk' or moderate intensity, so you might need to step up your walking game beyond just 'brisk' if you want to achieve maximum risk reduction from dementia.

rmFNu90PL-Di8YC7FKBMuKR_yszT6TgUwsLceadgKWotbbaVjPYGvNbu1fcMXZcJqlOjoOOFq1GLur1uk_4jmyygWtJSSZDxP1o1Tc75WPlUTiNirWQeWJYBrQaNi7IR_D24Pxn5iHgpqGdrqHB3KBNEVxElA8VJnHcwWoP-uiwSaeu8l9s5bO4t8A

Having a step counter while you walk can help you track your progress. Credit: Dragonimages/Dreamstime.

You read it here, folks! If you want to know whether or not you're getting the health benefits of walking, you should wear a step counter while you go for your daily walk.

But if you don't have one, you can simply estimate your daily step goal by multiplying the number of steps you take in 10 seconds by 6, or the number of steps you take in 6 seconds by 10.

As always, we emphasise the need of getting your doctor's approval before beginning any new exercise routine, and that you should discontinue all physical activity immediately if any discomfort or pain develops.

Stay safe and healthy always, members!
Definitely agree with all that. My wife and I should get out more for walking. But it's been too cold and stayed indoors, but there's only so far you can walk in a day round your house. 😕

However, when we do go out I could do power walking, but she's only good at power dawdling which doesn't help much. 🙄

Definitely agree with all that. My wife and I should get out more for walking. But it's been too cold and stayed indoors, but there's only so far you can walk in a day round your house. 😕

However, when we do go out I could do power walking, but she's only good at power dawdling which doesn't help much. 🙄
I'm the opposite I power walk and hubby dawdle looking at every plant in every 2nd house 🙄

Reactions: freedy50 and Ricci