grannym

Oct 30, 2021
How do you keep cool in Summer ?

I bought a cooling mat for the puppies a few seasons back, but decided to give it a try first, then they had to wait until I bought them another one - I ended up buying 2 large and 2 small (the size of a pillow) for myself - much cheaper buying those for pets than those for humans, and I like to keep them in the fridge.
These are an upgrade for me from using hot water bottles filled with cold water, which I still use as a foot cushion while watching tellie or sitting at the computer.
And I wouldn't be without my cooling neck scarves which are filled with little beads that swell when soaked in water, which I also keep in a container in the fridge, and have two sets - one for around my neck or forehead and one for each wrist, the second set already cool by the time the first set has warmed up, as with the mats.
I also have 2 rechargeable neck fans - never leave home without one (along with my brollie), and they work a treat when combined with the cooling scarf around my head at home.
The only time I turn on the big fan is about an hour before I retire, sitting on a chair close to and pointing out of the open window, so it draws the hot air out of the room.
With electricity being so expensive, these are ways I keep the cost down - does anyone have any other ideas to share?

Reactions: Ricci
I bought a cooling mat for the puppies a few seasons back, but decided to give it a try first, then they had to wait until I bought them another one - I ended up buying 2 large and 2 small (the size of a pillow) for myself - much cheaper buying those for pets than those for humans, and I like to keep them in the fridge.
These are an upgrade for me from using hot water bottles filled with cold water, which I still use as a foot cushion while watching tellie or sitting at the computer.
And I wouldn't be without my cooling neck scarves which are filled with little beads that swell when soaked in water, which I also keep in a container in the fridge, and have two sets - one for around my neck or forehead and one for each wrist, the second set already cool by the time the first set has warmed up, as with the mats.
I also have 2 rechargeable neck fans - never leave home without one (along with my brollie), and they work a treat when combined with the cooling scarf around my head at home.
The only time I turn on the big fan is about an hour before I retire, sitting on a chair close to and pointing out of the open window, so it draws the hot air out of the room.
With electricity being so expensive, these are ways I keep the cost down - does anyone have any other ideas to share?
These are actually great tips are far more environmentally friendly. Us younger folks are much more accustomed to convenience so we never think to do things like this but I actually really like the cooling mat idea

Reactions: Ricci
I also have cooling mats, one under the bottom sheet on the bed and one inside the pillowcase. No more trouble sleeping at night.

@Ricci these cooling mats sound interesting... Can you link to one of them?

We're in an old apartment (in Sydney) and bought a portable a/c because the fan wasn't really sufficient anymore. But it's incredibly noisy and wakes us up when it turns itself off and on :(

@Ricci these cooling mats sound interesting... Can you link to one of them?

We're in an old apartment (in Sydney) and bought a portable a/c because the fan wasn't really sufficient anymore. But it's incredibly noisy and wakes us up when it turns itself off and on :(
There are various sizes and prices available on Ebay just search "cooling mats". They are not expensive, up to about $50 depending on size. I bought one of mine from Aldi for about $20, they have them when they do pet specials. I think Innovations has them as well.

Reactions: Jonathan Leane