SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
How did you and your partner meet?

Hello everyone!

I hope you are all doing well. I just want to hop on here to give a quick life update. My partner and I recently celebrated our 5th anniversary together! Yay! Time has flown by, but every day has been a joy with her. I couldn't be more grateful for this amazing woman who has been by my side through thick and thin. As we were reminiscing about our journey together, I couldn't help but think about the first time we met. I remember that first date like it was yesterday. I felt like time had stopped when I saw her sitting outside the cafe reading a book while waiting for me. I knew then that she would be the one.

So, in honour of our 5th anniversary, I thought it would be a great idea to hear some of your love stories too! Whether you are currently in a relationship or single, we all have stories of love that have impacted our lives in one way or another.

I understand that some of us may have lost our beloved partners, and I want to extend a special invitation to you as well. If you would like to give a shout-out to your partner who may no longer be with us or simply reminisce on how you met, we would love to read your story. Who knows, your story may just inspire someone else to take a chance on love or appreciate the love they already have in their lives.

I'm looking forward to reading your stories and learning more about your amazing partners!

love.jpeg
Credits: Unsplash

I was 14 and just moved to a new area Dulwich Hill. When ever I walked to the corner shop, maybe 10 houses away I used to see this boy whom I couldn't help but stare at.

One day I was at the local pool room the 500 with friends and who should be there but this same guy , who was across between Greek Adonis and a Rock star.

He came over and we started talking ,he was surprised how good I was at playing pool.

Turned out not only did we live in the same street but went to the same school.

And that was the start to along life together.

Did we have obstacles along the way ...yes we did, lots of them including that I was an Aussie and he was Greek.

Did we argue ....yes we did.

His parents died in a car crash , which he was in only 2 years before we met. I was a rebel and always in trouble .

When I was 16 and he was 18 we had our first baby who just turned 46. That in it self was hard due to non family members trying to convince us to adopt her out. Thank fully we had the support of my family

We worked hard purchased our own place and then went on to have another 12 kids.

15 years ago I had to take care of him and now over the last 2 years he now takes care of me

On the 17th of march we celebrate our 35 years married but we did have 4 kids before we married so we have been together 48 years this may

Do I have any regrets ... No

Then and Now

Screenshot_20230309-102326_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
As a youngster in my early 20's I was always putting my hand up for any new experiences so when 2 guys I knew asked me to go into business with them I thought why not it might be fun. We three had a hydraulics business, they had an encyclic knowledge of hydraulics, I understood finance.

One day two of us went to London some 90 miles away from our business. We were going to talk business with a big London firm. My colleague was to look over their production and talk technical stuff, I was to talk with their accounts manager talking about terms and conditions.

I was shown into an office by a secretary and there, standing behind a huge, football pitch sized desk was this Adonis, blue eyed blonde guy, dressed impeccably in a three piece suit. He shook my hand and I was lost. I have no idea what we talked about during that meeting but I do remember I came away with some very acceptable terms! The production manager and he took us to lunch at some fancy London eatery, lunch as I remember it took longer than three hours and I just glided through it.

The next day, back at work, he rang me and we chatted about a bit more than business. He rang every day for a week, at least once every day and we just chatted. He then found an excuse to come to my home town so I treated him to lunch, and then we had dinner and then he got an hotel and stayed the weekend and the rest of our lives!

Sixty three years ago my wife Pam phoned the company where I worked because she was going to impersonate her friend Betty who wanted a job there and she did not have the courage to call herself, however my wife couldn't lie and finally gave her own name and got the job herself. A short while later I bumped into Pam in the bicycle sheds as we were leaving to go home and as we had to ride up a steep hill I pushed her to the top of the hill. Our first date was to see the film South Pacific in London. Six months later we were married and this year is our sixty third anniversary. We have four children and nine grandchildren. Sometimes I wonder 'what if' her friend Betty had called herself. My wife is on the RHS.

Attachments

• Pam and Betty.jpg
    Pam and Betty.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 0
These are all so heart-warming to read, everyone! You sure know how to have people gushing on a weekday morning :love:

It's a bit cliche, but for the sake of conversation: What's the key to a lasting relationship? I'm sure that over the years you've heard so many stories of relationships that didn't work out (which we fully respect, not all relationships are healthy, after all), so how is your bond with your partner different?

Sue and I met through RSVP on the 23rd February 2007 and for a few years had a long distance relationship as Sue lives in Forster and I was living and working in Newcastle. I moved to Forster 11 years ago and we are still together and looking forward to travelling when I finally retire in June after working in the retail automotive industry for more than 52 years.

These are all so heart-warming to read, everyone! You sure know how to have people gushing on a weekday morning :love:

It's a bit cliche, but for the sake of conversation: What's the key to a lasting relationship? I'm sure that over the years you've heard so many stories of relationships that didn't work out (which we fully respect, not all relationships are healthy, after all), so how is your bond with your partner different?
Laughter, listening, and compromise.

You have to be able to see the funny side of any situation and not take life to seriously.
You have to have a good pair of ears, what is the other person really saying.
You may not get everything you want in life, learn to be happy with the alternatives.

• Love
Reactions: Jarred Santos
My husband and I met on my front steps in 1960. November 19th. I had a spare ticket to the works Christmas social, and an office member needed one for a friend.
He picked me up, brought me home and I thought that was it.
We were then engaged on the 18th February. 1961.
Married on the 16th September, our first son born on the 22nd September, a year later. 1962.
Subsequently had 2 more sons, adopted a 6 week old daughter in 1973.
We’re married until 1998, when he died from cancer.
He said it was love at first sight, I took a couple of months to be sure.
Lasting relationships are due to honesty, everything being equal, and the mother of his children getting the best and safest car in which to transport his family.

Lots of Patience, understanding and alot of yes of course your right.

Seriously learning to talk and respect each one's decision .

To many people walk away from a marriage for no reason at all.

My biggest thing is to keep the fire alight . It's a little hard when you have kids but do things like date night every few weeks

Laughter, listening, and compromise.

You have to be able to see the funny side of any situation and not take life to seriously.
You have to have a good pair of ears, what is the other person really saying.
You may not get everything you want in life, learn to be happy with the alternatives.
My husband and I met on my front steps in 1960. November 19th. I had a spare ticket to the works Christmas social, and an office member needed one for a friend.
He picked me up, brought me home and I thought that was it.
We were then engaged on the 18th February. 1961.
Married on the 16th September, our first son born on the 22nd September, a year later. 1962.
Subsequently had 2 more sons, adopted a 6 week old daughter in 1973.
We’re married until 1998, when he died from cancer.
He said it was love at first sight, I took a couple of months to be sure.
Lasting relationships are due to honesty, everything being equal, and the mother of his children getting the best and safest car in which to transport his family.

My biggest thing is to keep the fire alight . It's a little hard when you have kids but do things like date night every few weeks
Love these responses, you SDC legends @Ricci, @Suzanne rose, and @Nannymoore1! Patience, compromise, understanding each other, and keeping the romance alive are great things to keep in mind (and heart!). At least in your cases, do you think the relationships of younger people today have these key ingredients to a successful relationship?

Love these responses, you SDC legends @Ricci, @Suzanne rose, and @Nannymoore1! Patience, compromise, understanding each other, and keeping the romance alive are great things to keep in mind (and heart!). At least in your cases, do you think the relationships of younger people today have these key ingredients to a successful relationship?
Unfortunately these days I think far too many people are selfish, it's all about them. It's not all their fault, they have grown up being told they are the most important person in their lives. Also I don't think many people see beyond the fancy wedding and being the centre of attention on their big day. The reality of a humdrum life after that stretches into infinity they are not prepared for. Divorce is far too easy to come by these days and maybe life with the next partner might just be the magical life they are after.

Sadly not many. My sons ex wife saw her mother jump from husband to husband and when her marriage went through a hard patch she wanted and got a divorce.

You have to work at a marriage.

Working in bridal I saw soooo many women going onto their 3rd and even 4th marriage.

Marriage is suppose to be forever and not disposable.

I think the only true excuse to divorce is abuse and this is both mental and physical.

I saw problems in my sons marriage way before they did. My daughter inlaw was a home mum and my son is a builder working long hours.
They would eat at ours maybe 3 times aweek and my son left for work at 4.30 am and get home around 7pm and as soon as he walked in the door it would be OK your here now bath the girls.

I said to her let him sit down, you are home all day why don't you do it and let him put them to bed and read them a story . There was no compromise.

The mothers of today think they had the kids through the day now it's dads turn.

I understand when both are working , everything should be shared but when one partner stays home then it's different

That was my little rant

Unfortunately these days I think far too many people are selfish, it's all about them. It's not all their fault, they have grown up being told they are the most important person in their lives. Also I don't think many people see beyond the fancy wedding and being the centre of attention on their big day. The reality of a humdrum life after that stretches into infinity they are not prepared for. Divorce is far too easy to come by these days and maybe life with the next partner might just be the magical life they are after.
I think this is fair! I partly place the blame on this on social media, because all we see is the glitz and glamour of everyone's lives and not the rough patches --- married people included. So much so that it can be hard to come to terms with when reality bites.

Sadly not many. My sons ex wife saw her mother jump from husband to husband and when her marriage went through a hard patch she wanted and got a divorce.

You have to work at a marriage.

Working in bridal I saw soooo many women going onto their 3rd and even 4th marriage.

Marriage is suppose to be forever and not disposable.

I think the only true excuse to divorce is abuse and this is both mental and physical.

I saw problems in my sons marriage way before they did. My daughter inlaw was a home mum and my son is a builder working long hours.
They would eat at ours maybe 3 times aweek and my son left for work at 4.30 am and get home around 7pm and as soon as he walked in the door it would be OK your here now bath the girls.

I said to her let him sit down, you are home all day why don't you do it and let him put them to bed and read them a story . There was no compromise.

The mothers of today think they had the kids through the day now it's dads turn.

I understand when both are working , everything should be shared but when one partner stays home then it's different

That was my little rant
Oh wow, what a story! Hopefully your son (and the ex-wife) are living better lives now. It's really a great illustration of comprise, as you and @Ricci said!

You know I've seen so many brides that would say 'it's my wedding ' not the grooms , to me that was flashing red lights

How did you and your partner meet?

Hello everyone!

I hope you are all doing well. I just want to hop on here to give a quick life update. My partner and I recently celebrated our 5th anniversary together! Yay! Time has flown by, but every day has been a joy with her. I couldn't be more grateful for this amazing woman who has been by my side through thick and thin. As we were reminiscing about our journey together, I couldn't help but think about the first time we met. I remember that first date like it was yesterday. I felt like time had stopped when I saw her sitting outside the cafe reading a book while waiting for me. I knew then that she would be the one.

So, in honour of our 5th anniversary, I thought it would be a great idea to hear some of your love stories too! Whether you are currently in a relationship or single, we all have stories of love that have impacted our lives in one way or another.

I understand that some of us may have lost our beloved partners, and I want to extend a special invitation to you as well. If you would like to give a shout-out to your partner who may no longer be with us or simply reminisce on how you met, we would love to read your story. Who knows, your story may just inspire someone else to take a chance on love or appreciate the love they already have in their lives.

I'm looking forward to reading your stories and learning more about your amazing partners!

View attachment 15173
Credits: Unsplash

We met at a night club. Married when I was 19 & he was 21. We both had jobs, so before we got married, we bought a block of land to build our own house. The house was finished just before we got married, so after the honeymoon we could move in. I wasn't keen on having children straight away & my husband agreed. We had a really good time for 8 yrs before our 1st son was born. We had another son 2 yrs after. We've been married for 43yrs. There's always issues arising within a marriage, but at the end of the day, it always works out if people want to or not.

I couldn't agree more! Understanding and patience are crucial in any relationship, especially when it comes to weathering tough times. Fights are inevitable, but how we handle them can make or break a relationship. So I'm very grateful to have a partner who has stuck with me through thick and thin, and who always strives to understand my point of view, even when I'm difficult to understand most of the time.

I know I've pushed my partner to her limits at times, and I'm not proud of that. It's important to recognise when we're in the wrong and to take responsibility for our actions. The key is to communicate openly and honestly.

Also, I totally agree about keeping the fire alive. One thing I’ve found particularly helpful is having something to look forward to. Whether it’s planning a trip together, trying out a new restaurant, or just having a cosy movie night in, having activities to anticipate can help keep the excitement and anticipation alive. :)