How Aussie driver turned $1,028 fine into $0—police officer spills insider tips

Navigating the roads can be tricky, and for many of us over 60, we've seen our fair share of changes to traffic laws and enforcement over the years.

But one South Australian driver's recent experience has left many scratching their heads—and it might just offer a glimmer of hope for those of us who dread the sight of a speeding ticket.

The driver was caught speeding, going 20 to 29 kilometres per hour over the limit.

Ordinarily, such an offence would result in a hefty $1,028 fine and five demerit points.

However, to their surprise, the fine arrived in the mail for $0. Yes, you read that correctly—zero dollars.

1724722840020.png
A South Australian driver got a $0 speeding fine instead of the usual $1,028 and five demerit points. Credit: Reddit

A South Australia Police spokesperson clarified this peculiar turn of events, explaining that a financial penalty isn't necessary in some instances.

'Police have used discretion in these circumstances and cautioned the offending driver for exceeding speed,' they said.

'The issuance of the notice is a formal way of recording the caution and is not a faulty fine.'

The driver had been travelling on Dukes Highway when they encountered a speed limit change from 80km/h to 60km/h and admitted to slowing down 'very late'.

Although they were told to expect a fine, the $0 infringement left them baffled.

But how can you, as a driver, increase your chances of receiving a caution instead of a fine?

A former police officer illuminated the matter, noting that a driver's record and attitude are the most significant factors in determining the outcome of a traffic stop.

'Good record + don't lie = excellent chance of a warning. Traffic (police) are less predictable,' they advised.

However, they also cautioned that once you've received a break, it's recorded in the system, and you might not be so lucky next time.

The story sparked a conversation among drivers from other states, with some expressing envy at South Australia's seemingly lenient approach.

An interstate driver commented, 'A caution notice for 20-29kph over the limit? You guys in SA are living in heaven,'

Meanwhile, a Queenslander lamented their state's stricter penalties.

New South Wales Police confirmed that drivers can be given speeding warnings, which are sent via mail but don't resemble a fine.

On the other hand, the Queensland Police Service had less encouraging news for drivers, stating that such leniency is 'not a thing up in Queensland.'

In contrast, a driver in New South Wales was fined $2764 and suspended his license for six months after being caught driving 55 km/h over the speed limit.

He argued that his speeding was due to a desperate need to use the restroom. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways

• A South Australian driver received a $0 fine in the mail for speeding, which could generally result in a $1,028 fine and five demerit points.
  • South Australia Police explained that the $0 fine represents a formal caution, and discretion was used not financially to penalise the driver.
  • A former police officer suggested that a driver's record and attitude can significantly influence whether they receive a ticket or a warning.
  • The leniency found in South Australia regarding speeding cautions contrasts with stricter responses in other states, such as Queensland.
Have you ever received a caution instead of a fine? What are your tips for dealing with traffic stops? Share your stories and advice in the comments below.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsan and janj
Sponsored
In NSW if you have a 10 year clean driving record you can apply for a caution on a cautionable offence. There are offences that cannot be cautioned eg Red Light, mobile phone, Seat belts, Speeding over 30km, School zone offences. NSW Police have the authority to issue a caution if warranted. Just slow done n be respectful on the roads, sadly courtesy on the roads is rare. It always amuses me that a driver will overtake you dangerously n when you get to the next intersection they are in front of you.

Here, in WA, quite a few years ago now, I had a similar experience.
I was driving in a 110kph zone when the person in front of me was doing 80. Each time we reached an overtaking lane she would speed up.
In exasperation I eventually planted my foot and around the corner came the police.
I apologised, explained what was going on. He checked my licence, which was clean, and gave me a warning. My lucky day.

In NSW if you have a 10 year clean driving record you can apply for a caution on a cautionable offence. There are offences that cannot be cautioned eg Red Light, mobile phone, Seat belts, Speeding over 30km, School zone offences. NSW Police have the authority to issue a caution if warranted. Just slow done n be respectful on the roads, sadly courtesy on the roads is rare. It always amuses me that a driver will overtake you dangerously n when you get to the next intersection they are in front of you.
Or they overtake you to then brake heavily to turn off right in front of you. Happens a lot in Tassie & makes me a bit cross. A lot of drivers speed up on overtaking lanes then slow back down so you end up stuck behind them. Frustrating!

I commend their action, but this example is extraordinary and not to be taken as the rule, I can assure UR readers. The majority of speed traps are just that, and UR record is rarely considered, let alone UR ability to pay, which by the book is unlawful, but who can afford to take on "The Force".

What ticks me of is the fact that most car speedos are not accurate and can be out by as much as 14kph. The cops allow 2kph. Since we have no way to accurately measure our speed, this is just another revenue tactic to make up for tax cuts etc. Driving too slow is as dangerous as driving too fast. We need a class action lawsuit against the ADR for passing such a stupid regulation.

Reactions: Willowis147
You have to laugh, we were driving out of a 50 zone, into a 100k zone, with a drop kick right up my backside, he overtook us, obviously with his foot "Pedal to Metal", 15 k's up the road, exactly 1 car in front of us. All the way, we were about 2 minutes behind him at max. He certainly saved a mass of driving time. We were doing 100 k's in the zone.

Any way, each to their own.

Reactions: DLHM