How an Australian Mum Managed to Shave $600 Off Her Monthly Grocery Bill!

Do you ever wander through supermarket aisles, feeling bewildered by the ever-increasing price tags attached to even the most basic grocery items?

It's a familiar sight, a regular part of our weekly routines, and a puzzle that takes a toll on our wallets.

Amidst these financial challenges, we offer a ray of hope.

compressed-hayley.jpeg
A woman from Sydney has revealed how her family achieved significant savings by blanching certain fresh produce, vacuum sealing it, and freezing it for later use. Source: TikTok/@pandlennysmama

In our mission to combat soaring grocery prices and help you make your hard-earned dollar go further, we present an incredible story.

Get ready for a remarkable account of an Australian mother who completely transformed her grocery shopping habits, slashing her monthly expenses by an astonishing $600!

Allow us to introduce Hayley Napthali-Sabjan, a super saver mum from Sydney, who has gained considerable attention online with her innovative approach to grocery shopping.

As a mother of two, with a third on the way, Hayley was troubled by the excessive amounts her seemingly quick supermarket visits would cost.

What started as a ‘few extra ingredients’ seemed to escalate into a bill surpassing $100. It's a relatable experience, isn't it?

In a stroke of inspiration, Hayley embarked on a challenge: to regain control over her escalating grocery expenses. Instead of frequent trips to the supermarket, she decided to embrace bulk buying once a month.

Hayley stocked her kitchen with ample quantities of meat and fresh produce, but here comes the twist in her tale: she employed an affordable vacuum sealer to freeze the surplus food.

In this pursuit, she looked into the ingenious methods employed by many who are true masters of the art of bulk buying and saving!

So, how does Hayley keep her frozen veggies as vibrant and fresh as the day they were picked? She uses an age-old technique called 'blanching'.

‘I follow a method called blanching where you pre-boil the food, and it stays really good and fresh for up to a year in your freezer.’ she explained on social media.

compressed-Screenshot_8.jpeg
By adopting this approach, the family of four has managed to save approximately $600 per month on their grocery expenses. Source: TikTok/@pandlennysmama

See Hayley's videos here:

Hayley told Yahoo, ‘I realised if I had all my meat and fresh produce frozen and kept staples in the pantry at all times, I wouldn’t need those additional trips to the store.’

This strategic swap to blanching and freezing has not only helped Hayley ensure a fresh supply of produce but has also thrown in the bonus of significant savings.

These smart moves have allowed Hayley to shift her grocery spending from around $250-$300 per week to just $50-$70, amassing an enviable monthly saving of $600!

Hayley’s smart shopping method is creating quite a buzz on social media, gaining the attention of nearly 200,000 Aussies!

Her approach of combining old-school wisdom with modern practicality bears the hallmark of a sure winner.

‘Great idea. Especially for the veggies. Sick of throwing our rotten veggies we never get around to eating.’ one person commented.

‘I literally ran out and bought one [vacuum sealer] because I saw this video... thank you.’ another said.

‘We do this, but with ziplock bags, this is a game changer! So good for space saving.’ a third person said.

If you are unsure how blanching works, see this video here:

Key Takeaways
  • A Sydney mum, Hayley Napthali-Sabjan, has significantly reduced her grocery bill by buying in bulk, blanching and then vacuum sealing her food.
  • Hayley's new method has led to her saving over $600 a month on groceries, slashing her weekly costs from $250-$300 to just $50-$70.
  • Blanching is a preservation method where food is briefly boiled and then immediately cooled, maintaining the food's colour, flavour, and nutritional value.
  • Videos detailing Hayley's method have received almost 200,000 views on social media, with many praising the cost-saving and waste-reducing strategy.

Members, would you consider implementing Hayley's strategy of stocking up on staple items and buying in bulk to reduce your grocery bills?

Sponsored
Only two of us now but I’ve been freezing meats in zip lock bags for quite some time now; also have a small manual vacuum pump for freezer bag use. Also cook soups and meals in bulk & freeze the excess in take away containers. I don’t put vegies in my cooked meals though. I haven’t had a lot of success with freezing vegetables but we don’t eat a lot of them anyhow. We also divide wholemeal bread & raisin bread into smaller lots and take out a pack at a time to the fridge for our daily use. Very handy. So our visits to the supermarket are not as often.

Agree- use of bags to seal, and using takeaway containers for cooked meals, and ziplock for meats, all to freeze. Really don't know anyone who didn't know this. My grandmother, mother and now next generation do it, as do friends. Maybe we have all been taught to be frugal, not waste? How else has been anyone freezing foods if not any of these. Mind I know a lady only in her 40s who has never own a freezer, but she goes to the market almost every day- couldn't be bothered going that often.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Do you ever wander through supermarket aisles, feeling bewildered by the ever-increasing price tags attached to even the most basic grocery items?

It's a familiar sight, a regular part of our weekly routines, and a puzzle that takes a toll on our wallets.

Amidst these financial challenges, we offer a ray of hope.

View attachment 23783
A woman from Sydney has revealed how her family achieved significant savings by blanching certain fresh produce, vacuum sealing it, and freezing it for later use. Source: TikTok/@pandlennysmama

In our mission to combat soaring grocery prices and help you make your hard-earned dollar go further, we present an incredible story.

Get ready for a remarkable account of an Australian mother who completely transformed her grocery shopping habits, slashing her monthly expenses by an astonishing $600!

Allow us to introduce Hayley Napthali-Sabjan, a super saver mum from Sydney, who has gained considerable attention online with her innovative approach to grocery shopping.

As a mother of two, with a third on the way, Hayley was troubled by the excessive amounts her seemingly quick supermarket visits would cost.

What started as a ‘few extra ingredients’ seemed to escalate into a bill surpassing $100. It's a relatable experience, isn't it?

In a stroke of inspiration, Hayley embarked on a challenge: to regain control over her escalating grocery expenses. Instead of frequent trips to the supermarket, she decided to embrace bulk buying once a month.

Hayley stocked her kitchen with ample quantities of meat and fresh produce, but here comes the twist in her tale: she employed an affordable vacuum sealer to freeze the surplus food.

In this pursuit, she looked into the ingenious methods employed by many who are true masters of the art of bulk buying and saving!

So, how does Hayley keep her frozen veggies as vibrant and fresh as the day they were picked? She uses an age-old technique called 'blanching'.

‘I follow a method called blanching where you pre-boil the food, and it stays really good and fresh for up to a year in your freezer.’ she explained on social media.

View attachment 23784
By adopting this approach, the family of four has managed to save approximately $600 per month on their grocery expenses. Source: TikTok/@pandlennysmama

See Hayley's videos here:

Hayley told Yahoo, ‘I realised if I had all my meat and fresh produce frozen and kept staples in the pantry at all times, I wouldn’t need those additional trips to the store.’

This strategic swap to blanching and freezing has not only helped Hayley ensure a fresh supply of produce but has also thrown in the bonus of significant savings.

These smart moves have allowed Hayley to shift her grocery spending from around $250-$300 per week to just $50-$70, amassing an enviable monthly saving of $600!

Hayley’s smart shopping method is creating quite a buzz on social media, gaining the attention of nearly 200,000 Aussies!

Her approach of combining old-school wisdom with modern practicality bears the hallmark of a sure winner.

‘Great idea. Especially for the veggies. Sick of throwing our rotten veggies we never get around to eating.’ one person commented.

‘I literally ran out and bought one [vacuum sealer] because I saw this video... thank you.’ another said.

‘We do this, but with ziplock bags, this is a game changer! So good for space saving.’ a third person said.

If you are unsure how blanching works, see this video here:

Key Takeaways

• A Sydney mum, Hayley Napthali-Sabjan, has significantly reduced her grocery bill by buying in bulk, blanching and then vacuum sealing her food.
  • Hayley's new method has led to her saving over $600 a month on groceries, slashing her weekly costs from $250-$300 to just $50-$70.
  • Blanching is a preservation method where food is briefly boiled and then immediately cooled, maintaining the food's colour, flavour, and nutritional value.
  • Videos detailing Hayley's method have received almost 200,000 views on social media, with many praising the cost-saving and waste-reducing strategy.

Members, would you consider implementing Hayley's strategy of stocking up on staple items and buying in bulk to reduce your grocery bills?

The vacuum sealer is a must have been using one for year's meat fish etc date it freeze it 👍

I'm guessing most of us old schoolers been doing this sort of stuff for decades already so nothing new i daresay (my grandma taught me this, along with growing vegie garden etc)
yes, especially growing a vegie garden - this passion was inherited from my father which I have continued throughout my adult (married) life 😁

My leeks and spring onions aren't doing so well with this cold weather. Any stalks that grow, I cut them off, then chop them up, portion them and freeze for meals. Unlike in summer, when they grow like weeds.