How an 81-year-old woman lost over $100k through fraud

Growing older comes with its own challenges, but in Australia, seniors face another concerning issue—falling prey to scams.

To put it into perspective, in 2021, Australians aged 65 and over lost a staggering $82 million to scammers.

This was the highest amount lost to scams in any age group and contributed significantly to the total reported losses of $1.8 billion across various agencies, such as the ACCC's Scamwatch, ReportCyber, financial institutions, and government bodies.

According to experts, the older you get, the more vulnerable you become to fraudsters. Even more concerning is that these scams are evolving, becoming more sophisticated and deceiving even the most cautious consumers.

To put a face on this issue, consider a recent incident involving an 81-year-old woman who was allegedly manipulated into giving away over $100,000 by people she knew.

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 1.48.03 PM.png
An 81-year-old woman was allegedly coerced out of her unit and stripped of more than $100,000. Credit: Pixabay.

Two individuals have been charged with defrauding the older woman out of her life savings. They also evicted her from her apartment so they could profit from 'renting' it out to others.

On October 16, a 43-year-old woman was apprehended at a school in Lucas Heights, while a 48-year-old man was arrested in Narwee last week.

The accused pair, acquaintances of the elderly victim, allegedly stole her jewellery, cash, and bank cards, using them to make purchases totalling over $100,000, primarily on clothing and food.

The suspects allegedly forced the victim out of her residence in Mascot and illegally collected rent from the property.

The 43-year-old woman is charged with committing two counts of obtaining financial benefits through deception and has been granted bail. Her next court appearance is scheduled for November 30 in Bankstown Local Court.

On the other hand, the man is charged with falsifying an expense account and obtaining financial benefits through deception. He is scheduled to appear in Bankstown Local Court on October 31.

Elder abuse is when an older person is harmed by someone they know and trust, often a family member. Here are some examples:

Physical abuse involves kicking, hitting, locking the older person in a room, or using restraints to restrict their movement. Meanwhile, emotional or psychological abuse includes behaviours like pressuring, intimidating, bullying, name-calling, degrading, and humiliating the older person.

Neglect happens when there's a failure to provide basic necessities, such as enough food, proper housing, or necessary medications. Social abuse involves limiting the older person's contact with their family and friends and preventing them from participating in social activities. It can also include restricting their freedom within their own home.

Financial abuse consists of exploiting the older person's financial resources. This can involve misusing powers of attorney, stealing the person's money, coercing them into transferring property titles or blocking their access to their finances.

Where to get help:

VIC
- Seniors Rights Victoria

NT - Elder Abuse Information Line for the Territory

NSW - Elder Abuse Helpline and Resource Unit

QLD - Elder Abuse Prevention Unit

SA - South Australian elder abuse prevention phone line

TAS - Tasmanian Elder Abuse Helpline

WA - Alliance for the Prevention of Elder Abuse Western Australia

ACT - ACT Human Rights Commission

Key Takeaways

• An 81-year-old Sydney woman was allegedly coerced out of her unit and defrauded more than $100,000 by a man and woman demanding 'rent'.
  • The pair allegedly stole her jewellery, cash, and bank cards and fraudulently used her bank cards to purchase items totalling over $100,000.
  • The 43-year-old woman has been charged with dishonestly obtaining financial advantage by deception and granted strict conditional bail.
  • The 48-year-old man has been charged with fraudulently rendering a false expense account and dishonestly obtaining financial advantage by deception, he was refused bail.

Members, we hope you found this story informative! If there are any signs of fraud or if you experience any other emergencies, please don't hesitate to contact authorities. Stay safe always!

Last edited:
Sponsored
The author of this reporting somehow managed to get the dates tangled up a little. I t was reported that the male offender will appear at Bankstown court tomorrow, the 31 November. Obviously the author meant 31 October. Just a little ahead of him/her self. Any way, I hope those 2 mongrels pay a hefty fine & repay every penny back. This is even if they have to sell up themselves to repay. Just hope that the magistrate, or if the matter has to progress to the District Court, the judge has the "BALLS" to convict them heavily & appropriately. Good luck to the "D-O-L".

The author of this reporting somehow managed to get the dates tangled up a little. I t was reported that the male offender will appear at Bankstown court tomorrow, the 31 November. Obviously the author meant 31 October. Just a little ahead of him/her self. Any way, I hope those 2 mongrels pay a hefty fine & repay every penny back. This is even if they have to sell up themselves to repay. Just hope that the magistrate, or if the matter has to progress to the District Court, the judge has the "BALLS" to convict them heavily & appropriately. Good luck to the "D-O-L".
Apologies for the oversight! Thank you for pointing it out. :) We've already corrected the date in the article.

I know some scumbags are relatives or friends, but this makes me in a hurry to finish my Power of Attorney Forms (2) completed so that if I lose my marbles no unauthorised person can take advantage.

I know some scumbags are relatives or friends, but this makes me in a hurry to finish my Power of Attorney Forms (2) completed so that if I lose my marbles no unauthorised person can take advantage.
As a matter of interest, whom are you appointing?

As a matter of interest, whom are you appointing?
One of my sons and one daughter. Have told all 4 why I chose those two and the 2 who weren’t named gave a sigh of relief. Actually the other 2 were better situated ( area , experience and family situation).

Reactions: Macarj and KatKop
Can't understand why the bank, in this case, did not see the unusual spending pattern. You would think it would raise alarm bells.
I have seen this type of behavior through my aged care career. It happens far more than anyone would think. KatKop get your forms registered, even when you have good family, other people come into your home and life. Everyone should protect themselves.

Reactions: KatKop
Growing older comes with its own challenges, but in Australia, seniors face another concerning issue—falling prey to scams.

To put it into perspective, in 2021, Australians aged 65 and over lost a staggering $82 million to scammers.

This was the highest amount lost to scams in any age group and contributed significantly to the total reported losses of $1.8 billion across various agencies, such as the ACCC's Scamwatch, ReportCyber, financial institutions, and government bodies.

According to experts, the older you get, the more vulnerable you become to fraudsters. Even more concerning is that these scams are evolving, becoming more sophisticated and deceiving even the most cautious consumers.

To put a face on this issue, consider a recent incident involving an 81-year-old woman who was allegedly manipulated into giving away over $100,000 by people she knew.

View attachment 33016
An 81-year-old woman was allegedly coerced out of her unit and stripped of more than $100,000. Credit: Pixabay.

Two individuals have been charged with defrauding the older woman out of her life savings. They also evicted her from her apartment so they could profit from 'renting' it out to others.

On October 16, a 43-year-old woman was apprehended at a school in Lucas Heights, while a 48-year-old man was arrested in Narwee last week.

The accused pair, acquaintances of the elderly victim, allegedly stole her jewellery, cash, and bank cards, using them to make purchases totalling over $100,000, primarily on clothing and food.

The suspects allegedly forced the victim out of her residence in Mascot and illegally collected rent from the property.

The 43-year-old woman is charged with committing two counts of obtaining financial benefits through deception and has been granted bail. Her next court appearance is scheduled for November 30 in Bankstown Local Court.

On the other hand, the man is charged with falsifying an expense account and obtaining financial benefits through deception. He is scheduled to appear in Bankstown Local Court on October 31.

Elder abuse is when an older person is harmed by someone they know and trust, often a family member. Here are some examples:

Physical abuse involves kicking, hitting, locking the older person in a room, or using restraints to restrict their movement. Meanwhile, emotional or psychological abuse includes behaviours like pressuring, intimidating, bullying, name-calling, degrading, and humiliating the older person.

Neglect happens when there's a failure to provide basic necessities, such as enough food, proper housing, or necessary medications. Social abuse involves limiting the older person's contact with their family and friends and preventing them from participating in social activities. It can also include restricting their freedom within their own home.

Financial abuse consists of exploiting the older person's financial resources. This can involve misusing powers of attorney, stealing the person's money, coercing them into transferring property titles or blocking their access to their finances.

Where to get help:

VIC
- Seniors Rights Victoria

NT - Elder Abuse Information Line for the Territory

NSW - Elder Abuse Helpline and Resource Unit

QLD - Elder Abuse Prevention Unit

SA - South Australian elder abuse prevention phone line

TAS - Tasmanian Elder Abuse Helpline

WA - Alliance for the Prevention of Elder Abuse Western Australia

ACT - ACT Human Rights Commission

Key Takeaways

• An 81-year-old Sydney woman was allegedly coerced out of her unit and defrauded more than $100,000 by a man and woman demanding 'rent'.
  • The pair allegedly stole her jewellery, cash, and bank cards and fraudulently used her bank cards to purchase items totalling over $100,000.
  • The 43-year-old woman has been charged with dishonestly obtaining financial advantage by deception and granted strict conditional bail.
  • The 48-year-old man has been charged with fraudulently rendering a false expense account and dishonestly obtaining financial advantage by deception, he was refused bail.

Members, we hope you found this story informative! If there are any signs of fraud or if you experience any other emergencies, please don't hesitate to contact authorities. Stay safe always!
Bloody parasites and wait until the court case 🙄 probably get off with a slap on the wrist 🙄 jail the bastards properly 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

One of my sons and one daughter. Have told all 4 why I chose those two and the 2 who weren’t named gave a sigh of relief. Actually the other 2 were better situated ( area , experience and family situation).
My eldest son is ours and my other son and daughter agree with the choice

My daughter stabbed 2 nurses when she was in the psyche ward, NOTHING happened, she attacked me with a hammer, NOTHING Happened, she burnt my house down NOTHING happened, she withheld her fathers medication and he died NOTHING happened. It was a case of outright murder, she is the only child and promptly moved into his house, getting his bank accounts, cars, drive on mower, and investments with her useless son. Mental Health have just turned a blind eye when I told them of the murder, they don't care what she does, the courts are Mental Health courts, and they just close the case. So its not only other scumbags it is family as well

• Sad
Reactions: KatKop
My daughter stabbed 2 nurses when she was in the psyche ward, NOTHING happened, she attacked me with a hammer, NOTHING Happened, she burnt my house down NOTHING happened, she withheld her fathers medication and he died NOTHING happened. It was a case of outright murder, she is the only child and promptly moved into his house, getting his bank accounts, cars, drive on mower, and investments with her useless son. Mental Health have just turned a blind eye when I told them of the murder, they don't care what she does, the courts are Mental Health courts, and they just close the case. So its not only other scumbags it is family as well
😢My heart aches for you. To have so much drama in your family and no one will help. Stay safe and try to take care of yourself.

Reactions: Linwar