How a stranger's gift at Woolworths moved an Aussie pensioner nearly to tears

In an age where the cost of living just keeps going up, many of us are holding onto our hard-earned cash a bit tighter.

And when every dollar seems to count even more these days, it's easy to think that random acts of kindness might be harder to come by.

But even in these times, there are still those with big hearts. Take, for example, the story of a grandmother who unexpectedly received a $30 voucher from a thoughtful stranger…

Karen Harding, a 54-year-old disability support pensioner from Sydney, was left stunned after a surprise act of generosity came her way, bridging the gap to her next paycheck.

According to her, she had just finished shopping and was taking the bus home on Wednesday morning, but as she got off at her stop, she spotted something someone had left behind.

‘When I got off the bus, it was sitting on the seat at the bus shelter,’ Karen said. ‘That kind person has no idea the appreciation I have towards them.'

WISH-Lights-GiftCard.jpg
Woolworths' WISH Gift Card designs feature themes for birthdays, Valentine's Day, Father's Day, and Mother's Day. Image source: Woolworths

On the bus shelter's seat lay a WISH Gift Card, valid for use at Woolworths, BIG W, BWS, Dan Murphy's, and EG Ampol fuel stations.

‘Honestly, I checked to make sure it wasn't a gift for someone else, as I know a lot of people that get that bus,’ she said. ‘But once I turned it over, I nearly cried.’

On the back of the voucher card was a message for a ‘random person’ from ‘another random person’. It said, ‘Just for today. I'll do something nice for someone and not get caught out or brag about it.’

After rushing home to confirm the gift card was legitimate and did, in fact, have $30 on it, Karen, a mother of four and grandmother of five, described this generous gesture as a ‘blessing’.

‘As I am only on the disability pension, it will be getting me a few things in Woolworths to get me through to payday. And I promise you I will be paying it forward to someone closer to Christmas,’ she explained.

Deeply moved by the kindness of a stranger, Karen shared her lucky news on social media.

She wrote: ‘You hear of this happening to people, but I never imagined I could be one of the lucky ones. [Got] off the 882 bus, and this [was] sitting on the seat. Truly appreciated, and thank you, kind person.’

Over 1,100 people have since responded to her post. One person replied, ‘That other random person is awesome for spreading some good vibes, good karma to them!’

Another also commented, ‘There are good people out there, what a lovely thought.’

senior-3336451_1280.jpg
The number of Australians aged 65 and over receiving income support has been steadily increasing over the past 8 years, from 2.5 million in June 2014 to 2.8 million in June 2022. Image source: Pixabay

Australian pensioners’ financial realities

While Karen's story warms our hearts, it's a glimpse into a bigger issue that many pensioners in Australia deal with daily.

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, about 2.8 million Aussies age 65 and over are currently relying on some kind of pension.

A significant portion of them are trying to manage their lives with ever-increasing living and medical expenses on minimal financial support.

Just to give you an idea, the Age Pension pays out $1,096.70 per fortnight (approximately $28,514 per year) for singles and $1,653.40 (approximately $42,988 per year for couples).

Moreover, a report from the OECD in 2021 revealed that over 23.7 per cent of pensioners are living below the poverty line.

The collaborative database Expatistan approximates that in Australia, the cost of living stands at about $4,364 monthly for an individual and around $7,850 monthly for a four-member family, covering only basic necessities.

Despite these grim statistics, stories like Karen's remind us that small acts of kindness can make a big difference. These little acts of generosity can truly lighten the load for everyone. So, let's keep extending our empathy, compassion, and, yes, our wallets when and where we can.
Key Takeaways

• An Aussie grandmother found a WISH Gift Card left behind at a bus stop she disembarked at.
  • The WISH Gift Card contained a $30 credit that can be used at a variety of stores, including Woolworths, BIG W, BWS, Dan Murphy's and EG Ampol fuel stations.
  • The gift card included a note from a ‘random person’ promising to do something nice for someone else without getting caught out or bragging about it.
  • The grandmother, who is a disability pensioner, has described the act as a ‘blessing’ and promised to pay it forward closer to Christmas.
Members, what are your thoughts on this story? Have you ever experienced something similar? How do you lend a helping hand or show kindness to others? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
In an age where the cost of living just keeps going up, many of us are holding onto our hard-earned cash a bit tighter.

And when every dollar seems to count even more these days, it's easy to think that random acts of kindness might be harder to come by.

But even in these times, there are still those with big hearts. Take, for example, the story of a grandmother who unexpectedly received a $30 voucher from a thoughtful stranger…

Karen Harding, a 54-year-old disability support pensioner from Sydney, was left stunned after a surprise act of generosity came her way, bridging the gap to her next paycheck.

According to her, she had just finished shopping and was taking the bus home on Wednesday morning, but as she got off at her stop, she spotted something someone had left behind.

‘When I got off the bus, it was sitting on the seat at the bus shelter,’ Karen said. ‘That kind person has no idea the appreciation I have towards them.'

View attachment 31743
Woolworths' WISH Gift Card designs feature themes for birthdays, Valentine's Day, Father's Day, and Mother's Day. Image source: Woolworths

On the bus shelter's seat lay a WISH Gift Card, valid for use at Woolworths, BIG W, BWS, Dan Murphy's, and EG Ampol fuel stations.

‘Honestly, I checked to make sure it wasn't a gift for someone else, as I know a lot of people that get that bus,’ she said. ‘But once I turned it over, I nearly cried.’

On the back of the voucher card was a message for a ‘random person’ from ‘another random person’. It said, ‘Just for today. I'll do something nice for someone and not get caught out or brag about it.’

After rushing home to confirm the gift card was legitimate and did, in fact, have $30 on it, Karen, a mother of four and grandmother of five, described this generous gesture as a ‘blessing’.

‘As I am only on the disability pension, it will be getting me a few things in Woolworths to get me through to payday. And I promise you I will be paying it forward to someone closer to Christmas,’ she explained.

Deeply moved by the kindness of a stranger, Karen shared her lucky news on social media.

She wrote: ‘You hear of this happening to people, but I never imagined I could be one of the lucky ones. [Got] off the 882 bus, and this [was] sitting on the seat. Truly appreciated, and thank you, kind person.’

Over 1,100 people have since responded to her post. One person replied, ‘That other random person is awesome for spreading some good vibes, good karma to them!’

Another also commented, ‘There are good people out there, what a lovely thought.’

View attachment 31742
The number of Australians aged 65 and over receiving income support has been steadily increasing over the past 8 years, from 2.5 million in June 2014 to 2.8 million in June 2022. Image source: Pixabay

While Karen's story warms our hearts, it's a glimpse into a bigger issue that many pensioners in Australia deal with daily.

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, about 2.8 million Aussies age 65 and over are currently relying on some kind of pension.

A significant portion of them are trying to manage their lives with ever-increasing living and medical expenses on minimal financial support.

Just to give you an idea, the Age Pension pays out $1,096.70 per fortnight (approximately $28,514 per year) for singles and $1,653.40 (approximately $42,988 per year for couples).

Moreover, a report from the OECD in 2021 revealed that over 23.7 per cent of pensioners are living below the poverty line.

The collaborative database Expatistan approximates that in Australia, the cost of living stands at about $4,364 monthly for an individual and around $7,850 monthly for a four-member family, covering only basic necessities.

Despite these grim statistics, stories like Karen's remind us that small acts of kindness can make a big difference. These little acts of generosity can truly lighten the load for everyone. So, let's keep extending our empathy, compassion, and, yes, our wallets when and where we can.
Key Takeaways

• An Aussie grandmother found a WISH Gift Card left behind at a bus stop she disembarked at.
  • The WISH Gift Card contained a $30 credit that can be used at a variety of stores, including Woolworths, BIG W, BWS, Dan Murphy's and EG Ampol fuel stations.
  • The gift card included a note from a ‘random person’ promising to do something nice for someone else without getting caught out or bragging about it.
  • The grandmother, who is a disability pensioner, has described the act as a ‘blessing’ and promised to pay it forward closer to Christmas.
Members, what are your thoughts on this story? Have you ever experienced something similar? How do you lend a helping hand or show kindness to others? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below!

She is a grandmother and most "older" women are grandmothers. It is age discrimination again and it is happening more now than ever. It MUST STOP.
Oh grow up, she wasn't being discriminated against. Not as if she was applying for a job and didn't get it because if her age.
I'm sure the lady in question doesn't give two hoots about being described as a grandmother, as most of us grandmothers wouldn't.
What is your problem???

She is a grandmother and most "older" women are grandmothers. It is age discrimination again and it is happening more now than ever. It MUST STOP.
I myself would much rather be referred to as a grandmother than an "older" woman thanks very much.
There are plenty of younger grandmothers out there as well who I am sure do not want to be referred to as an "older"woman.

Reactions: Jersey Girl
This story is about a random act of kindness, not age discrimination. Stay on topic please. There are some wonderful kind people out there who make a difference when it counts and more importantly when people least expect it.
Absolutely agree! Sadly some people can't or won't recognise random acts of kindness ... it is something we all need to pay more attention to. There are some incredible people out there and I have always said if you can't find a kind person, then be one yourself.

Absolutely agree! Sadly some people can't or won't recognise random acts of kindness ... it is something we all need to pay more attention to. There are some incredible people out there and I have always said if you can't find a kind person, then be one yourself.
Well said siameezer!!!

Reactions: Leenie

View attachment 31743

View attachment 31742

Key Takeaways

I am also one of the aged Pensioners who rely on Government Money. I applaud the people who do these incredibly precious
things to help with doing unexpected gestures to Bless the people they do these things for.
I have been blessed by the generosity of Strangers on a few occasions over the years. This one I will share with you. My Grandson and I were doing the shopping at Aldi's. We got to the register to pay, the Groceries had all gone through, No Problem. I have the habit of paying through Drivethousfrom McDonalds etc
expecting my Grandson getting and

putting my Money Purse back in my handbag.
Back to Aldi's "oh BRODY where is my money purse......you guessed it. Nowhere to be found, I said BRODY Honey you haven't put it back.... I was so embarrassed. I said to him, "it must still be in the Car, we will have to leave the
Groceries and go back to the Car to get it." Immediately the Lady behind me said
She would pay for my groceries. I said it's okay(a few times) she insisted. I asked her for her address and I would give her back her money. No she was determined to pay regardless. She saved the day.
I don't know about you, but it could be said, I am a Person who is very independent, and who receives well meaning gifts with " oh you shouldn't have done that" etc. It was eventually pointed out to me that you don't allow the giver to show a way of thanking you
for the thing you have done. I had to accept that I was wrong for not allowing someone to give a gesture of thanks. I have always given whatever it was without thinking of"payback". But I hadn't considered the other point of view. I still don't really know how to do that, but I am trying to be at least a person who is thankful for the thought.

Reactions: Leenie