I vividly remember our milk & bread being delivered in this fashion during the latter 40's through the 50's. I
always asked the bakery delivery guy if he had any crusts. My mum would always put out a large saucepan out for our milky, "Mr. Morgan", to fill up. I remember the 1 & 2 pint containers he used. As for his horse, no "Start & Stop/Off" buttons then, just a squawk was enough to get "Old Bobbin" to move on.

I always remember that when "Bobbin" decided too, & dropped a load, the neighbours seemed to always know & would rush out with a shovel or spade & a bucket to collect same for the garden. It was quite a business.

"Wot" abt the clothes prop man yelling out 'Props For Sale" with a cart load of props for 2/. each on his horse drawn cart doing his rounds as well. This was well before the "Hills Hoist" made its appearance on the scene.

The "Ice" man seemed to always have a truck of some sort for his deliveries to put a block of ice in the ice cooler to try to keep the food fresh. No freezers or fridges as such in the households then either. We as kids in the street would always get chips off the ice when the "Icey" chipped the blocks in half. It was a "Ritual".

How many can remember the "HUMDINGER" ? The double decked truck of the "Shit Can" collector. I can always remember him coming to the ''Little House" out the back, with a cleaned pan, pulling the full one out, replacing with the cleaned one, then hoisting the full one up on his shoulders & loading onto the truck. Never spilled a drop. Also, having a piece of wire hanging on the wall of the "Little House" with the squares of newspaper cut up to wipe yr bum with.

Fun memories, the "Good Old Days". How would the youngens of today survived then ? Ha Ha.

I vividly remember our milk & bread being delivered in this fashion during the latter 40's through the 50's. I
always asked the bakery delivery guy if he had any crusts. My mum would always put out a large saucepan out for our milky, "Mr. Morgan", to fill up. I remember the 1 & 2 pint containers he used. As for his horse, no "Start & Stop/Off" buttons then, just a squawk was enough to get "Old Bobbin" to move on.

I always remember that when "Bobbin" decided too, & dropped a load, the neighbours seemed to always know & would rush out with a shovel or spade & a bucket to collect same for the garden. It was quite a business.

"Wot" abt the clothes prop man yelling out 'Props For Sale" with a cart load of props for 2/. each on his horse drawn cart doing his rounds as well. This was well before the "Hills Hoist" made its appearance on the scene.

The "Ice" man seemed to always have a truck of some sort for his deliveries to put a block of ice in the ice cooler to try to keep the food fresh. No freezers or fridges as such in the households then either. We as kids in the street would always get chips off the ice when the "Icey" chipped the blocks in half. It was a "Ritual".

How many can remember the "HUMDINGER" ? The double decked truck of the "Shit Can" collector. I can always remember him coming to the ''Little House" out the back, with a cleaned pan, pulling the full one out, replacing with the cleaned one, then hoisting the full one up on his shoulders & loading onto the truck. Never spilled a drop. Also, having a piece of wire hanging on the wall of the "Little House" with the squares of newspaper cut up to wipe yr bum with.

Fun memories, the "Good Old Days". How would the youngens of today survived then ? Ha Ha.
I can relate to everything you have written about. I can remember one morning my mate and I were walking to school, when a dunny truck came around a corner and one of the doors flew open.
Several full cans fell on to the road. Phew!
What a mess!
As for the squares of newspaper hanging on the wall, I found them useful, not only for their intended purpose, but I could keep up with the latest news to pass the time!
As you say, the kids of today have got it easy. We didn’t have iPhones or iPads to
pass the time, we had to invent our own games.