Homeowners warned after 'suspicious' markings suddenly appeared on fences and mailboxes

You have invested a lot of time, energy, and money into making your house feel more like a home for you and your family. The very last thing you want is for somebody to break in and steal everything you have ever worked for!

It's scary to think that someone could take your belongings, but knowing if your house, or a house in your neighbourhood, is being watched by a burglar can help you a lot in the long run.

It is known that most burglars won't just pick a house at random. Choosing a target is a strategy that burglars use, and it is commonly referred to as 'casing a house'.

While casing a house, a thief will often watch the people who live there for patterns to figure out the best way to get in.

To break in undetected, they would observe the owners and the neighbourhood for clues about their routines. They monitor things like when people aren't at home, whether or not there are alarm systems, whether or not there are dogs, and so on.

Also, they look for signs to figure out if the people who live there are wealthy or not.

IKTjfJYWpgtjEbSQxqXBMjAiPuAyA9BO38xfwbliMTWAU8qmurcCQKsi4FlAthMwkK8bm9G-xuykM0lbmky4KBMZQGmEt8X3RMe91a1tiUiPHx3zI6G-EXTcVZqNvlnyLJ6-465BiqIBuAJKbnQUzkA

The neighbour noticed this 'secret' code on their fence, which consists of four parallel lines. Credit: Reddit.

Folks, did you know that burglars often use a code of symbols to mark the homes they want to rob?

It has been reported that thieves sometimes 'mark' residences of interest with something, such as a graffiti symbol, some lines or letters, or even a bit of string attached to your fence, both as a reminder and a signal to their accomplices.

That is most likely why the homeowners of this Adelaide neighbourhood are being urged to stay vigilant against possible burglaries after several 'secret' markings suddenly appeared on their fences, mailboxes, and entryways.

As soon as one of them saw the markings on the fence and back door, they raised the alarm and posted pictures of them on Reddit to alert their fellow Aussies.

'Found these marks on our fence and back door entrance,' wrote the user in their post. 'They appeared overnight. Thoughts? Could the house be marked for a burglary?'

The person said they looked around and saw that other homes nearby had also been marked.

'Our front door entrance is concealed by a front high fenced garden. You cannot access the front door from the street. You need to use a gate (where the markings are). The back door entrance isn't gated and is accessible,' they continued.

'The four strike marks at the back entrance were on the only visible but not exactly obvious area. They were the last ones we found. We walked past them multiple times without seeing them.'

DgFjLQePN6gy1Lu-a91mKCEY08HiWXIm4N-TYH6CLjqGzDDNNvjq0vzA0Eu6v84CX1inQStcPqzXmlSlgBJsDYyyGiWLJlHnLE110NecM1qf7xiedq-8RwPT_XmZO6LX0kMMpY1GY8wTmz7nnjl-XJY

The initials 'NT' were also marked in another part of Adelaide. Credit: Reddit.

Users on the forum site discussed the mysterious graffiti, with many speculating that it was left by robbers who had just 'cased' the area and were using some sort of code to communicate with one another.

Some have speculated that 'NT' could denote 'no threat' while the total number of strokes could indicate how long a potential intruder has been checking out the house.

'The marks are usually the number of days they've been watching your place/how many times you use an entrance in a day,' one user wrote in the comments.

'NT means 'No Threat', as in you've got no dogs or security. Best to remove the markings ASAP,' another user suggested.

The resident verified that they do not have a dog, and went on to say that they had filed a report with the police and hoped the situation would be addressed as soon as possible.

'We made a report. I did become paranoid after we found the markings at the start and end of the street,' they said.

Members, if you have any reason to believe that someone is attempting to break into your home please dial Triple Zero (000). If you have seen anything strange in your neighbourhood, you can call 131 444 if you ever need help from the police.

Stay safe always, folks!

Sponsored
When I lived in WA there was a spate of burglaries in my area. The police stopped and searched a car and in the glove box found a notebook with a street by street list of who had a dog and who didn't. Was I ever glad we had a hound and had not been touched.:mad:

I live rural, come near my Family or my belongings and a palaeontologist will dig up your dry white bones in a few hundred years, and I'm not kidding, can't rely on the Police or court system nowadays.

You have invested a lot of time, energy, and money into making your house feel more like a home for you and your family. The very last thing you want is for somebody to break in and steal everything you have ever worked for!

It's scary to think that someone could take your belongings, but knowing if your house, or a house in your neighbourhood, is being watched by a burglar can help you a lot in the long run.

It is known that most burglars won't just pick a house at random. Choosing a target is a strategy that burglars use, and it is commonly referred to as 'casing a house'.

While casing a house, a thief will often watch the people who live there for patterns to figure out the best way to get in.

To break in undetected, they would observe the owners and the neighbourhood for clues about their routines. They monitor things like when people aren't at home, whether or not there are alarm systems, whether or not there are dogs, and so on.

Also, they look for signs to figure out if the people who live there are wealthy or not.

IKTjfJYWpgtjEbSQxqXBMjAiPuAyA9BO38xfwbliMTWAU8qmurcCQKsi4FlAthMwkK8bm9G-xuykM0lbmky4KBMZQGmEt8X3RMe91a1tiUiPHx3zI6G-EXTcVZqNvlnyLJ6-465BiqIBuAJKbnQUzkA

The neighbour noticed this 'secret' code on their fence, which consists of four parallel lines. Credit: Reddit.

Folks, did you know that burglars often use a code of symbols to mark the homes they want to rob?

It has been reported that thieves sometimes 'mark' residences of interest with something, such as a graffiti symbol, some lines or letters, or even a bit of string attached to your fence, both as a reminder and a signal to their accomplices.

That is most likely why the homeowners of this Adelaide neighbourhood are being urged to stay vigilant against possible burglaries after several 'secret' markings suddenly appeared on their fences, mailboxes, and entryways.

As soon as one of them saw the markings on the fence and back door, they raised the alarm and posted pictures of them on Reddit to alert their fellow Aussies.

'Found these marks on our fence and back door entrance,' wrote the user in their post. 'They appeared overnight. Thoughts? Could the house be marked for a burglary?'

The person said they looked around and saw that other homes nearby had also been marked.

'Our front door entrance is concealed by a front high fenced garden. You cannot access the front door from the street. You need to use a gate (where the markings are). The back door entrance isn't gated and is accessible,' they continued.

'The four strike marks at the back entrance were on the only visible but not exactly obvious area. They were the last ones we found. We walked past them multiple times without seeing them.'

DgFjLQePN6gy1Lu-a91mKCEY08HiWXIm4N-TYH6CLjqGzDDNNvjq0vzA0Eu6v84CX1inQStcPqzXmlSlgBJsDYyyGiWLJlHnLE110NecM1qf7xiedq-8RwPT_XmZO6LX0kMMpY1GY8wTmz7nnjl-XJY

Users on the forum site discussed the mysterious graffiti, with many speculating that it was left by robbers who had just 'cased' the area and were using some sort of code to communicate with one another.

Some have speculated that 'NT' could denote 'no threat' while the total number of strokes could indicate how long a potential intruder has been checking out the house.

'The marks are usually the number of days they've been watching your place/how many times you use an entrance in a day,' one user wrote in the comments.

'NT means 'No Threat', as in you've got no dogs or security. Best to remove the markings ASAP,' another user suggested.

The resident verified that they do not have a dog, and went on to say that they had filed a report with the police and hoped the situation would be addressed as soon as possible.

'We made a report. I did become paranoid after we found the markings at the start and end of the street,' they said.

Members, if you have any reason to believe that someone is attempting to break into your home please dial Triple Zero (000). If you have seen anything strange in your neighbourhood, you can call 131 444 if you ever need help from the police.

Stay safe always, folks!

The police should be using these marking to arrest perpetrators. The idiots have left a message saying that they're coming, so alert the police who should then use that information to catch these mongrels. A serve of corporal punishment for the perpetrators wouldn't go astray and might shock them out of their criminal mindset. We're way to easy on repeat offenders.

We are creatures of habit, so we inadvertently make it easy for the would-be thieves.
I have done a pamphlet delivery round in my area since 1999. Keeps me moving, although I am slow.
It is amazing how much you pick up about people's movements even if not trying.
I can tell by curtains being different, or bins not out, or mail not collected etc.
Many folk know me, and will say to me they are going away for 3 weeks, can I not deliver pamphlets while they are away.
If close-by neighbours are going away, I'll seek their permission to still put their bins out and collect their mail.....pre-covid, I was attending to 7 addresses for bins.
Can't be too careful, and look out for each other.

Stay safe always, folks!
Thankyou for this information. Could save me a lot of grief if l know about this practice.

I found the same outside where I live and cleaned it all up. I refuse to give in to these people. I dont like the idea of someone in my house and taking my things.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci