Homeowner faces outrageous $640 fine for common parking mistake

In a tale that might strike a chord with many Australian homeowners, a man from Blue Haven on the NSW Central Coast has been slapped with a hefty $640 fine for what he considered a harmless and practical parking decision.

Craig, the homeowner in question, was simply trying to be considerate by moving his and his visiting mother-in-law's cars to the nature strip outside his neighbour's house while he mowed his lawn.

He had been parking on the grass for years without issue, but suddenly, this common act became a costly mistake.

Craig had parked the cars on the nature strip for just a couple of hours and had even obtained his neighbour's permission beforehand.

However, a council ranger passing by didn't see the situation with the same neighbourly understanding and issued $320 fines for each vehicle parked on the nature strip.

The frustration Craig felt was palpable as he recounted the incident.

1727319198608.png
A driver and his mother-in-law were fined $320 each for parking on the nature strip in Blue Haven. Credit: Shutterstock

'I understand it is council land, but the way I see it, if the neighbour's mowing the lawn, then it's his land,' he said.

'If he doesn’t have an issue, I don’t know why they've given out a fine. I’m dirty about the whole thing.'

Craig's appeal to revoke the fines was rejected, leaving him feeling that the fines were nothing more than 'dirty revenue raising.'

The absence of signs prohibiting parking on the grass compounded his irritation, as did the fact that the quiet residential street didn't have a footpath, making the nature strip seem like an unused space perfect for temporary parking.

The incident sparked debate among locals online, with opinions divided.

Some sympathised with Craig, pointing out the irony of being expected to maintain the council-owned strip but not being allowed to park on it.

Others, however, highlighted the importance of keeping the strip clear for pedestrian safety, regardless of whether a formal footpath exists.

This issue is separate from Craig's neighbourhood.

Across Australia, there's been a notable uptick in reports of illegal parking, with the reporting app Snap Send Solve noting significant surges in every state and territory.

Parking on driveways and across footpaths is not just a nuisance; it poses real dangers to pedestrians, including those with wheelchairs or prams, and disrupts essential foot traffic pathways.

Illegal parking reports have surged across Australia, with significant increases reported in various states:

New South Wales saw a 37 per cent rise, the Australian Capital Territory experienced a 56 per cent jump, and Queensland reported a 53 per cent increase.

Tasmania followed closely with a 42 per cent rise, while Victoria, South Australia, and Western Australia recorded increases of 33 per cent, 34 per cent, and 41 per cent, respectively.

The Northern Territory had the smallest increase at 17 per cent.

When approached for comment, the Central Coast Council stated that its parking officers and rangers exercise discretion when responding to alleged parking offences.

In other news, nearly 90 motorists in Graceville, Brisbane, were fined $154 each for parking perpendicular to the kerb, against council rules.

The local community argues that angled parking allows for more cars in the busy area and has been safely practised for decades. You can read more about it here.

1727327577493.png
Key Takeaways

• A driver in Blue Haven, NSW, was fined $320 for parking on the nature strip, and his mother-in-law received the same fine, totalling $640.
  • The driver, Craig, had moved the cars for a couple of hours while mowing the lawn and had even obtained permission from the neighbour.
  • Despite appeals, the fines were not revoked, and Craig feels this is a form of 'dirty revenue raising' by the council.
  • Reports of illegal parking are rising across Australia, with significant increases in offences reported through the Snap Send Solve platform.
Have you ever been fined for parking on a nature strip or encountered similar issues in your area? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aussiedazza
Sponsored
Personally I don't see a problem with parking on the nature strip as long as there is enough room to go around, I find it more of a problem when people park the opposite side of travel, one thing is for sure is that governments of all persuasion are broke and the only place they can get revenue is from the little people, you and I.
To park this way would require driving on the WRONG side of the Road. Surely illegal.

Our street has no footpath, is quite narrow and already has several vehicles regularly parked both sides of the street, creating quite a bottle neck.
I unfortunately do not have a choice, there is plenty of room on the grass outside my home, wide enough for 2 vehicles, with a tree between them, and still room for pedestrians to get past (although I would not like to try to get a wheel chair or mobility scooter along our nature strips -never seen the council maintain it!).
I park against our fence, under the tree -which drops lots of debris, twigs, leaves and seed pods as well as plenty of bird droppings! - there is no way I will park on the road and add to the bottleneck especially with the way some drivers scream through as they use the street as a “rat-run” to avoid traffic lights.
You are responsible for maintaing ypur nature strip, not the Council.
And the reason for keeping nature strips clear and free from vehicles, and that includes the concrete overpass to your driveway, is precisely what you mentioned. So wheelchairs, mobility scooters and prams and pushchairs and toddlers on trikes etc can traverse unobstructed. You should not expect them to have to move into the road and risk injury or death just for your convenience. Oh. And there are no exceptions just because your street is busy.

I don't mow the "nature strip" outside my home. I don't the the time, energy or finances to mow this council property. Every few weeks council comes with their big mower & mows it without question. My neighbours all mow their "nature strip" without question but, as I found, leave it long & council comes & does it just as they mow the "dunny lanes" right through this town. They don't expect us to go behind our homes to mow these council owned spaces so why should I mow the council owned space in front of my home?
Our council mows it too, but then sends me an invoice.

I don't mow the "nature strip" outside my home. I don't the the time, energy or finances to mow this council property. Every few weeks council comes with their big mower & mows it without question. My neighbours all mow their "nature strip" without question but, as I found, leave it long & council comes & does it just as they mow the "dunny lanes" right through this town. They don't expect us to go behind our homes to mow these council owned spaces so why should I mow the council owned space in front of my home?
I don't mow, nor pay anyone to do it. It took about 3 years and I now have nothing. not even weeds. It's not my land. They planted a tree slap bang in the front of my house, not to the side, but the front. Did they ask no. It's their land, so if that's therirs then why does anyone pay to keep it up to scratch for them at house owner's costs/time. Can't have it both ways..