Homebuyers beware! A couple lost $275,000 to an invoice scam after buying property

For many, owning their first home is a long-held dream. People work hard to save money so they can purchase their dream house.

But for some unlucky couples, this dream could become a nightmare if they find themselves scammed out of their hard-earned savings.

Such is the case for Simon Elvin and his wife, both of whom had spent 10 years saving to buy a property in the Blue Mountains in New South Wales.

They thought their dream of owning their first home had finally come true, especially when Mr Elvin received an email requesting a final payment of $274,311.57 for the purchase.

Screenshot 2023-10-09 093025.png
A couple from New South Wales was scammed out of $275,000 due to a fake invoice. Credit: Oleksandr P/Pexels

It also seemed to have all the right details included—the correct property address and matching conveyancer account details (including the Bank State Branch or BSB and account name).

Since the email seemed legitimate, the couple made the payment. Mr Elvin had to divide it into two separate transactions because the amount was too large to transfer in one.

However, the couple didn’t receive a confirmation email, and when Mr Elvin asked their conveyancer and real estate agent, they claimed they never received the payment.

When the real estate agent gave the couple the correct account details, doubt started to sink in.

‘I thought, “This account doesn't look the same as the last one. Maybe they've got two accounts”... the realisation that we had been scammed became quite clear,' Mr Elvin admitted.

He contacted his bank, Westpac, immediately. They then reached out to National Australia Bank (NAB), which was the bank of the scammer.

Unfortunately, a week had passed, and the couple’s money was almost gone by the time they realised it. The couple only got $270.72 back.

Mr Elvin believed the scammers had hacked into the conveyancer’s email to create the fraudulent invoice, that’s why the correct details of the home were included in the email they received.

Data from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s (ACCC) Scamwatch showed invoice scams—particularly targeting big purchases like renovations, properties and cars—have been on the rise.

In the first nine months of 2023, Aussies reported 28,617 fraud billing scams, a 95 per cent increase from the same time period last year. Australians have collectively lost $23 million to false billing in the same time period.

Consumer advocates urge banks to launch a ‘confirmation of payee’ policy to help stop this scam.

Under the Bulk Electronic Clearing System (BECS), money transfers can be made even if the correct name was not used.

Consumer Action Law Centre Senior Policy Officer Tom Abourizk stated that banks do not check if the account name matches the account number even though both details were provided in the transfer.

Some banks have taken precautionary measures in their systems. This year, the Commonwealth Bank launched NameCheck—a policy that flags transfers with account details discrepancies.

Meanwhile, Westpac—who didn’t comment on the scam the Elvins experienced—said that they detect 60 per cent of scams: ‘When funds are unable to be retrieved, reimbursement is considered on a case-by-case basis with a range of factors taken into account.’

As for the couple, they settled their final payment on the house by taking out a lender’s mortgage insurance and increasing their mortgage. This cost them an extra $2,000 in monthly repayments.

So, what can you do to avoid being scammed? Customers are advised to call the company or person to verify their account details before paying. They can also use the PayID transfer system since it displays a bank account holder’s name.

Scamwatch stated that victims should immediately call their bank, report the scam to ACCC and provide the scammer’s profile name and details.

Tip

Key Takeaways
  • A couple lost almost $275,000 to an invoice scam after purchasing their first home in the Blue Mountains, New South Wales.
  • The husband, Simon Elvin, received an email appearing to come from his conveyancer requesting the final settlement payment. The account and BSB details matched those of his conveyancer.
  • After not hearing from his conveyancer, Simon contacted them and discovered they had not received the payment. He contacted his bank immediately, but most of the money was lost.
  • Invoice scams are rising in Australia, with $23 million lost between January and September this year, a 95 per cent increase compared to the previous year.
  • Banks are urged to introduce a 'confirmation of payee' policy to prevent such scams.

What do you think of this story, members? Do you have any good or bad experiences when it comes to home buying? Share them in the comments below!

Sponsored
For many, owning their first home is a long-held dream. People work hard to save money so they can purchase their dream house.

But for some unlucky couples, this dream could become a nightmare if they find themselves scammed out of their hard-earned savings.

Such is the case for Simon Elvin and his wife, both of whom had spent 10 years saving to buy a property in the Blue Mountains in New South Wales.

They thought their dream of owning their first home had finally come true, especially when Mr Elvin received an email requesting a final payment of $274,311.57 for the purchase.

View attachment 31735
A couple from New South Wales was scammed out of $275,000 due to a fake invoice. Credit: Oleksandr P/Pexels

It also seemed to have all the right details included—the correct property address and matching conveyancer account details (including the Bank State Branch or BSB and account name).

Since the email seemed legitimate, the couple made the payment. Mr Elvin had to divide it into two separate transactions because the amount was too large to transfer in one.

However, the couple didn’t receive a confirmation email, and when Mr Elvin asked their conveyancer and real estate agent, they claimed they never received the payment.

When the real estate agent gave the couple the correct account details, doubt started to sink in.

‘I thought, “This account doesn't look the same as the last one. Maybe they've got two accounts”... the realisation that we had been scammed became quite clear,' Mr Elvin admitted.

He contacted his bank, Westpac, immediately. They then reached out to National Australia Bank (NAB), which was the bank of the scammer.

Unfortunately, a week had passed, and the couple’s money was almost gone by the time they realised it. The couple only got $270.72 back.

Mr Elvin believed the scammers had hacked into the conveyancer’s email to create the fraudulent invoice, that’s why the correct details of the home were included in the email they received.

Data from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s (ACCC) Scamwatch showed invoice scams—particularly targeting big purchases like renovations, properties and cars—have been on the rise.

In the first nine months of 2023, Aussies reported 28,617 fraud billing scams, a 95 per cent increase from the same time period last year. Australians have collectively lost $23 million to false billing in the same time period.

Consumer advocates urge banks to launch a ‘confirmation of payee’ policy to help stop this scam.

Under the Bulk Electronic Clearing System (BECS), money transfers can be made even if the correct name was not used.

Consumer Action Law Centre Senior Policy Officer Tom Abourizk stated that banks do not check if the account name matches the account number even though both details were provided in the transfer.

Some banks have taken precautionary measures in their systems. This year, the Commonwealth Bank launched NameCheck—a policy that flags transfers with account details discrepancies.

Meanwhile, Westpac—who didn’t comment on the scam the Elvins experienced—said that they detect 60 per cent of scams: ‘When funds are unable to be retrieved, reimbursement is considered on a case-by-case basis with a range of factors taken into account.’

As for the couple, they settled their final payment on the house by taking out a lender’s mortgage insurance and increasing their mortgage. This cost them an extra $2,000 in monthly repayments.

So, what can you do to avoid being scammed? Customers are advised to call the company or person to verify their account details before paying. They can also use the PayID transfer system since it displays a bank account holder’s name.

Scamwatch stated that victims should immediately call their bank, report the scam to ACCC and provide the scammer’s profile name and details.

Tip

Key Takeaways

• A couple lost almost $275,000 to an invoice scam after purchasing their first home in the Blue Mountains, New South Wales.
  • The husband, Simon Elvin, received an email appearing to come from his conveyancer requesting the final settlement payment. The account and BSB details matched those of his conveyancer.
  • After not hearing from his conveyancer, Simon contacted them and discovered they had not received the payment. He contacted his bank immediately, but most of the money was lost.
  • Invoice scams are rising in Australia, with $23 million lost between January and September this year, a 95 per cent increase compared to the previous year.
  • Banks are urged to introduce a 'confirmation of payee' policy to prevent such scams.

What do you think of this story, members? Do you have any good or bad experiences when it comes to home buying? Share them in the comments below!
I am so sorry for that couple, what a blow, after saving for so long to lose it in
one tragic and disastrous scam. My eyes are welling up at the thought of it. I hope there is some way of getting it back for them., These Mongrels should be locked
away never to be freed. And everything they own confiscated.
What a Gut Wrenching Dilemma.
Sorry to say I don't have anything I could say to make it better. But I hope somebody can. My heart goes out to you, my lovelies.

Unless every scam is reported they cannot be followed up. It’s up to each one who has been scammed to report to their bank and the relevant authority. But as someone has said on this site - paying/transferring large amounts on line and not having the sense to go direct to their bank, in my opinion IS JUST STUPIDITY. Anything above $1000 is worth the trip to physically check authenticity with our banks.

If we stop unknowingly(!!) giving scammers our money because we’re too lazy to make the trip to our banks then we cannot blame anyone but ourselves. If we don’t comply with these scammers they’ll eventually go somewhere else. We cannot expect governments and banks to be always responsible for our stupidity.

• Sad
Reactions: AlanQ and marni
Why isn't the current govt taking care of scammers better? Why doesn't the current govt care about australians? Why isn't the current govt doing positive things like putting scammers in jail? Why isn't the current govt warning scammers to stop. It is because they do not care about Australians getting scammed
they are mostly overseas scammers.

I have heard of this before when purchasing property and the scam emails are very convincing. Real Estates need to clearly outline the process of payment, and recommend that before transferring funds the person rings the real estate once they receive the email to double-check the details. Someone also suggested making payments via the conveyancer/solicitor. While it is now many years ago, we obtained a bank cheque which we dropped of at the solicitors who then handled both the deposit and final payment (there was no electronic transfer). Two years ago, I paid the real estate by bank cheque, in their name, who then dispersed the funds to the sell.er

It's because most of the scammers aren't operating from this country so our Government has very limited powers to track them down and bring them to justice.
We have to work with several other Governments and put the scammers into their jails. Some of those Governments, such as Russia, are not that cooperative and not concerned about stopping scamming in other countries.
In a recent case involving scammers from Russia who were using stolen Medicare data. The AFC would not share information that would allow the Russian police to arrest those responsible because "we are concerned that the human rights of these people will be infringed by the actions of the Russian authorities". Are we going soft on criminals? A spell on forced labour in Siberia might be a disincentive.

I'm not blaming the Government for people being scammed. I agree with you absolutely that people need to take responsibility for themselves and I've said so many times on this platform, but we cannot identify the scammers and bring them to justice. We need Governments and law enforcement to cooperate around the world and do that.
And there is the main problem in our
modern world:  so many countries are
reluctant to work together to regulate
such business dealings in case they 
accidentally become friends!
we all seem to  be more inclined to 
want to be adversarial in all dealings
with other countries!

Why isn't the current govt taking care of scammers better? Why doesn't the current govt care about australians? Why isn't the current govt doing positive things like putting scammers in jail? Why isn't the current govt warning scammers to stop. It is because they do not care about Australians getting scammed
Scammers - so many of them - are from overseas. We have had a number of text messages at 3am saying they couldn't deliver a parcel!! Hello - this is Australia and Australia Post does not work or send out messages at 3am (except perhaps in their sorting sections).

Guaranteed they came from an overseas source who is stupid enough to not know our mobile numbers in Australia start with 04!! So now we do not bring our mobiles into our bedroom at night (we also leave them on 'silent' at night) as our children are the only ones who would contact us in any emergency and they know not to do so after 9pm except on our landline extension which is next to our bed.

Why should we expect the government, banks etc to protect us when we are stupid enough to play to the scammers? Government is doing it's best 'behind the scenes' without telling us what it is they are doing. If they did let us know their methods of catching these criminals then the crims would change tack. It is our responsibility to protect ourselves, and no one else's.

It's because most of the scammers aren't operating from this country so our Government has very limited powers to track them down and bring them to justice.
We have to work with several other Governments and put the scammers into their jails. Some of those Governments, such as Russia, are not that cooperative and not concerned about stopping scamming in other countries.
I agree with you, halscion.
Interference in another country's issues is not the way to go. Be responsible for our own actions is the way forward and don't get scammed in the first place by our own stupidity.

Can't do that with Internet Banking.
Agreed, but what is the way forward that EVERYONE has access to? There is no one method that will appease everyone. We can lock and unlock our smartphones with a finger print so there is probably a way to incorporate this into our phones - for those who use phones. People don't even want to take the time to go to their bank in person, hence banks are now getting rid of staff and using technology, which so many are against because they don't have a computer, mobile phone etc. So what is the way forward - I'm at a loss.

Agreed, but what is the way forward that EVERYONE has access to? There is no one method that will appease everyone. We can lock and unlock our smartphones with a finger print so there is probably a way to incorporate this into our phones - for those who use phones. People don't even want to take the time to go to their bank in person, hence banks are now getting rid of staff and using technology, which so many are against because they don't have a computer, mobile phone etc. So what is the way forward - I'm at a loss.
I still go into the bank when ever I need to, they ask me all the time if I want to change to Internet banking and I just say when hell freezes over, they laugh and Off I go. If more people went into the banks and did their stuff they would have to think a little harder about closing them I would hope, especially for really important stuff like PAYING FOR A HOUSE. I know some people live away from their bank mine is an hour away but I will always make the trip when need be.

Scammers - so many of them - are from overseas. We have had a number of text messages at 3am saying they couldn't deliver a parcel!! Hello - this is Australia and Australia Post does not work or send out messages at 3am (except perhaps in their sorting sections).

Guaranteed they came from an overseas source who is stupid enough to not know our mobile numbers in Australia start with 04!! So now we do not bring our mobiles into our bedroom at night (we also leave them on 'silent' at night) as our children are the only ones who would contact us in any emergency and they know not to do so after 9pm except on our landline extension which is next to our bed.

Why should we expect the government, banks etc to protect us when we are stupid enough to play to the scammers? Government is doing it's best 'behind the scenes' without telling us what it is they are doing. If they did let us know their methods of catching these criminals then the crims would change tack. It is our responsibility to protect ourselves, and no one else's.
Obtaining an 04 mbl no isn't difficult, the internet allows for almost every scammer to access any mbl number in any country. On the number of times I've settle any purchase of a house, the conveyancer has rung me to confirm with me the time set for settlement and they did the transferring not me.

This couple did everything right - verified the details, double-checked the accounts - yet still fell victim to the scam. It's a harsh lesson in trust and vigilance.It got me thinking about my own journey in the property market. While I've been fortunate enough to avoid such scams, it's a stark wake-up call to stay alert. You never know when something like this could happen to you or someone you know.In light of recent events, I've been exploring different avenues to safeguard my own investments. And you know what? Dubai real estate listings seem like a promising option. I stumbled upon dorchester-elaresidences.com recently, and it's been quite enlightening.

Last edited: