Home security footage exposes dog owner's ‘classless’ act

In Australia dog ownership is a common thread that binds many communities together. With one of the highest rates of dog ownership in the world, it's no wonder that the streets, parks, and footpaths are often dotted with people enjoying a stroll with their canine companions.

But dog ownership also comes with a responsibility that's as unavoidable as it is unglamorous: dealing with pet waste.

Scooping up after their pets is a familiar routine for most dog owners. However, the challenge often lies in finding a suitable bin to dispose of the waste. The relief of locating one is palpable, but what if the bin belongs to someone else's household?

This very scenario played out in Epping, a suburb in Sydney's northwest, and has sparked a heated debate across the nation.

A resident, upon reviewing their home security footage, was taken aback to discover a dog walker nonchalantly entering their driveway and depositing a bag of dog poo into their red household bin.

Screenshot 2024-03-15 122531.png
Security footage captured a dog owner disposing of their pet's waste in the bin. Image source: Facebook

The footage, which the resident shared online, quickly became a talking point.

'Security camera recorded this person with a black dog conveniently disposing dog poo into our household bin,' the resident lamented.

'This is not the first time. Can the video evidence be used to identify and take actions against the person?'

The question at the heart of the matter is one that divides Australians: Is it acceptable for dog walkers to use someone else's bin to dispose of their pet's waste?

The online community weighed in on the incident with a variety of opinions.

Many labelled the resident's frustration as 'petty' and 'sad,' praising the dog walker for being responsible and disposing of the waste properly.

'Actually not a crime. Good guy bagging and disposing of it appropriately,' one commenter noted.

Another expressed surprise that such an act 'wasn't allowed,' admitting to doing the same on their dog walks.

On the flip side, some sympathised with the resident's dismay, branding the dog walker as having 'no class' and suggesting extreme measures such as moving the bins or securing them with padlocks to prevent future occurrences.

The issue isn't isolated to Epping.

In Bondi, another Sydney suburb, a resident vented their frustration after their freshly emptied bin began accumulating a collection of dog waste bags, with additional waste left on the grass.

'Our bin was only emptied last night and already it’s building up a collection of baggies. There’s even a steamer in the grass... get your s*** together, or I’m installing razor wire and an electric fence,' they threatened.

The issue of how to properly dispose of dog waste is a small representation of the larger conversation on community, respect, and shared spaces.

Although many dog owners are responsible and clean up after their pets, there is still a debate on where to properly dispose of the waste.
Key Takeaways
  • An Epping resident in Sydney's northwest caught a dog walker disposing of dog poo in his household bin, leading to a debate on the matter.
  • The incident was captured on the resident's home security camera and shared online, prompting various reactions.
  • Some responders see no issue with the practice of disposing of dog waste in someone else's bin, while others find it disrespectful and suggest measures to prevent it.
  • A prior complaint had been made by a Bondi resident about local dog owners leaving dog bags in his bin immediately after it was emptied.
What’s your take on this issue, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Councils need to provide more street bins so that those walking their dogs can safely dispose of their waste products. It is not easy to carry the full plastic bag(s) while at the same time maintaining control of your dog. I think that more people would pick up the waste if there was somewhere convenient to dispose of it quickly.

I would not object to someone dropping their dog droppings in my bin. Provided that they have bagged it in plastic and my bin is by the kerbside.

However, comming onto my property is trespass and that I will not accept.

Not only is it illegal, and a bad example to kids, it's also taking a liberty with their rights and responsibilities.

Once you step on someone else's property you're placing the responsibility on them if you injure yourself.

What makes pet owners think they have the right to do that, anymore than have the right to let their pets enter other people's property?

I would not object to someone dropping their dog droppings in my bin. Provided that they have bagged it in plastic and my bin is by the kerbside.

However, comming onto my property is trespass and that I will not accept.

Not only is it illegal, and a bad example to kids, it's also taking a liberty with their rights and responsibilities.

Once you step on someone else's property you're placing the responsibility on them if you injure yourself.

What makes pet owners think they have the right to do that, anymore than have the right to let their pets enter other people's property?
Totally agree. I wouldn’t worry about people dropping their bags in the bin as long as they were on the roadside and not on the property. But saying that I personally wouldn’t put the doggie bag in anyone else’s.

Opening for an inventor to design a toilet to fit on dogs.
I like your take on this! I often comment like that to my husband when I see so many things that could have something better invented for the purpose. We could make a lot of money for an invention!!

We have previously had this happen to us because our bin had been left out after clearing and we had not yet come home yet. The stench in our bin was unbelievable. If you are walking ‘YOUR’ dog, then take your dog’s faeces home and dispose of it in your own bin, not someone else’s. I’m not directing this paragraph at anyone - just responding with my comment on the action.

I don't think it's the right thing to do,,,the householder pays for that bin for their use not anyone else's,,,,there are bins everywhere for dog bags,,,I remember a person saw a dog doing it's business on their lawn and of course no-one picked it up so the home owner did and followed the person home putting the bag in their mail box,,,quite a nice little surprise waiting for them,,,,my husband saw the same thing happen on our lawn,,he tapped the window telling the person to pick it up,,her reply was she had to go get a bag but he told her he would get her one and surprise surprise she pulled one out of her pocket,,,,,,,,,,hopefully it taught them a lesson..unfortunately today people think it's ok to use anything they want which doesn't belong to them

Reactions: Bridgit and Ezzy
Your dog, your poo, your responsibility, your bin.
:poop::poop::poop:
I don't want to smell your dog's poo when I use my bin🤮
How about I come around to your place and deposit a bag of my poo in your bin to fester in the sun for a week😷
Your dog, your poo, your responsibility, your bin.
:poop::poop::poop:
I don't want to smell your dog's poo when I use my bin🤮
How about I come around to your place and deposit a bag of my poo in your bin to fester in the sun for a week😷
👍🫤🤮

Reactions: Bridgit and Ezzy
I can't believe people can be so petty. In the bin is better than on your shoe and if your bin is in the sun SHIFT IT TO THE SHADE. Surely you have a little bit of shade somewhere that's caused by a shadow.

I can't believe people can be so petty. In the bin is better than on your shoe and if your bin is in the sun SHIFT IT TO THE SHADE. Surely you have a little bit of shade somewhere that's caused by a shadow.
You think other people are being petty?

You DEMAND people relocate their bins, just so you can trespass on their private property to avoid having to carry a small plastic bag, of YOUR dog's droppings back home with you.

Plus you've implied that you feel you have the right to just leave it on the ground, if people complain.

You Don't!

Your Dog, Your Responsibility!

You think other people are being petty?

You DEMAND people relocate their bins, just so you can trespass on their private property to avoid having to carry a small plastic bag, of YOUR dog's droppings back home with you.

Plus you've implied that you feel you have the right to just leave it on the ground, if people complain.

You Don't!

Your Dog, Your Responsibility!
get a life. Firstly I have neither dog no cat any more I HAVE FISH and had a bird. Easy fixed. Once upon a time you didn't have to bother about this type of thing and people just enjoyed their animals but today people love to live with their panic stations and thin skins. BY THE WAY I NEVER DEMAND ANYTHING OF ANYONE.

get a life. Firstly I have neither dog no cat any more I HAVE FISH and had a bird. Easy fixed. Once upon a time you didn't have to bother about this type of thing and people just enjoyed their animals but today people love to live with their panic stations and thin skins. BY THE WAY I NEVER DEMAND ANYTHING OF ANYONE.
You too. No dog, but you just had to set the rules.

Once upon a time the streets of cities were full of horse sh*t and people emptied the contents of their toilets out the windows.

So "SHIFT IT TO THE SHADE" was just a suggestion... and pigs fly!