Home and Away star's dramatic comeback? Radio co-star drops unmissable hint!

The whispers have been growing louder, and the fans are excited. Could it be true that Kate Ritchie, one of Australia's most beloved actresses, is returning to the sun-kissed shores of Summer Bay?

The speculation has been fueled by none other than her radio co-star, who dropped a tantalising hint that has set tongues wagging across the nation.

Kate Ritchie, whose portrayal of Sally Fletcher on the iconic Australian soap Home and Away won viewers' hearts for over two decades, left the show in 2008.

Since her departure, Ritchie's star has only continued to rise, with her voice becoming a familiar comfort on Sydney's airwaves as the co-host of the popular radio show Fitzy & Wippa with Kate Ritchie.

1719875528105.png
Kate Ritchie's radio co-stars sparked rumours of her Home & Away return by teasing her about a comeback on their show. Credit: Shutterstock

The recent on-air banter between Ritchie and her co-host Wippa, in a playful exchange that revealed more than intended, has fans on the edge of their seats.

‘I know you’re going back to the bay. I’ve seen your emails as I sit next to you in the office.‘ Wippa teased.

‘No, you don’t. You have bad eyes,’ Ritchie answered.

‘I know that you are set to make a bit of a comeback on Home and Away,’ Wippa said.

The possibility of Ritchie's return to Home and Away is not entirely out of the blue.

In a 2014 interview with TV Week, she expressed openness to reprising her role as Sally Fletcher, given the right story and circumstances.

‘If it was to happen, it would have to be a great story – or the 100th anniversary of the surf club! It’s never been on the agenda, but Sally is only an airfare away – who knows what the future holds?’ Ritchie mused.

This potential homecoming comes when Home and Away has been scrutinised by one of its original stars, Ray Meagher, who played the iconic Alf Stewart.

Meagher has expressed his concerns that the show has drifted from its original vision of a close-knit seaside community and the Fletcher family's heartwarming tradition of taking in foster children.

He pointed to the introduction of the River Boys in 2011, a storyline that brought a darker, more crime-focused narrative to Summer Bay, as a departure from the show's roots.

‘There is still a penchant for a River Boy,’ he said.

‘I mean, that was just a great period. But was it Summer Bay? Hmmm …. in my humble opinion, not to that extent.’

While the River Boys saga was undeniably popular, Meagher lamented that the show's shift towards 'sex, drugs and rock and roll' came in 'too big of a dose,' altering the essence of the beloved soap.

His comments reflect a longing among some fans for the return to the show's original charm and warmth, something that a character like Sally Fletcher could undoubtedly bring back.

In related news, former Home and Away actor Christie Hayes revealed her experience of being in an abusive relationship at just 15 years old.

During her radio show, Hayes discussed the domestic violence she endured and voiced her commitment to helping others in similar circumstances. You can read more about this story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Kate Ritchie's radio co-stars have sparked rumours of her return to Home & Away after teasing her about a comeback on their radio show.
  • Ritchie, who left the show in 2008, has been successful in her radio career but has previously indicated she would consider returning to the TV soap if the conditions were right.
  • Ray Meagher, another Home & Away icon, expressed his views on the show’s change in direction, suggesting it has deviated from its original family and community-focused premise.
  • The show has shifted towards more crime-driven storylines, particularly with the introduction of the River Boys in 2011.
Do you agree that the show has deviated from its original essence? What is your favourite moment of the TV show? We’d love to hear your thoughts and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
I watched Home & Away from day one. But it slowly changed and yes drifted right away from the original storey line. I do believe it had to grow as how many storeys can the caravan park and high school have year in and year out. BUT it went to far for me. When the River boys arrived at first was ok but when the violence and killing started I turned off it just got too far fetched for me. I have not watched it since. The youngest River boy was still in it but was shot a few weeks after I stopped watching. Not sure how long ago must be 10 years or more.

Reactions: Ezzy
IF it happens it happens they must be trying to save the show as it's getting stale. They need to quit copying shite like Days of our lives and young and restless.

Used to watch it years ago but gave it away when the ridiculous started happening. I believe Ray is correct in his statement. This show needs to return, even if only in part, to its roots.

Yes it is , I watched it when it first came out then it started getting ridiulous.The script and characters just became unbelievable and it just became very boring.Stopped watching after about 8 episodes