Hollywood mourns Beverly Hills Cop actor John Ashton’s death at 76

The entertainment world is mourning the loss of a beloved actor known for his iconic role in a classic film series.

Fans and fellow stars alike are sharing tributes and memories of the talented performer who left an indelible mark on the entertainment industry.

The actor's passing marks the end of an era, leaving behind a legacy that will be cherished for generations.

John Ashton, the seasoned character actor famous for portraying John Taggart in the Beverly Hills Cop series, has passed away.

The 76-year-old died last Thursday, September 26, in Fort Collins, Colorado, according to a statement from his family released by his manager, Alan Somers.

The cause of death was not immediately disclosed.

461744242_928651089283963_5673814769723515829_n.jpg
Veteran actor John Ashton has died at 76. Credit: Facebook / The Streamr

John Ashton, perhaps best known for his role as the tough but lovable Detective Sergeant John Taggart in the first two Beverly Hills Cop films—released in 1984 and 1987—was a staple of the silver screen during the ‘80s and ‘90s.

With a career spanning over 50 years, Ashton became a familiar face in numerous television series and films, including Midnight Run, Little Big League, and Gone Baby Gone.

His portrayal of Taggart, alongside Eddie Murphy and Judge Reinhold, brought a mix of humour and gravitas to the action-comedy genre, helping to cement the films as classics that are beloved to this day.

Although Murphy's Axel Foley was the main character, Reinhold's Billy Rosewood and Ashton's Taggart were his occasionally reluctant, yet sometimes enthusiastic, partners.

Ashton returned to his role in the 2024 Netflix reboot Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F, where his character has now become the chief of police.

In 1988, Ashton portrayed a competing bounty hunter to Robert De Niro's Jack Walsh in the buddy comedy Midnight Run, as they chased after a former mafia accountant.

In a July interview with Collider, Ashton reminisced about auditioning for the film alongside De Niro.

‘Bobby started handing me these matches, and I went to grab the matches, and he threw them on the floor and stared at me,’ he narrated.

‘I looked at the matches, and I looked up, and I said, “F*** you,” and he said, “F*** you, too.”’

‘I said, “Go f*** yourself.”’

‘I know every other actor picked those up and handed it to him, and I found out as soon as I left, he went, “I want him,” because he wanted somebody to stand up to him,’ the actor continued.

Ashton is survived by his wife Robin Hoye, his two children, three stepchildren, a grandson, and his two sisters and brother.
Key Takeaways
  • Veteran character actor John Ashton has passed away at the age of 76.
  • His family announced the news of his death, which occurred in Fort Collins, Colorado.
  • John Ashton was best known for his role as Detective Sergeant John Taggart in the Beverly Hills Cop series.
  • Ashton's contribution to film and his memorable role in Beverly Hills Cop were highlighted in remembering his legacy.
John Ashton's passing is a poignant reminder of the fleeting nature of life, but his work will live on. Through his films, we can continue to enjoy his talent and the joy he brought to the screen. Rest in peace, John Ashton, and thank you for the memories.

We invite you to share your memories of John Ashton and his performances. Which of his roles was your favourite? How did his work in Beverly Hills Cop or other films impact your love of cinema? Let's honour the legacy of a man who brought so much to the world of entertainment.

Sponsored