Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Holden Kingswood

compressed-Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 12.49.56 PM.jpeg
Credits: Michael Laidlaw/Facebook

Ah, the Holden Kingswood! Born and bred in Australia, Holdens were the pride of many Aussies and often their first cars. The sleek design and reliable build made them a hit. Who learned to drive in one of these things? Share your memories in the comments below.

• Love
Reactions: PattiB and NotNats
My first car was an HR (as shown in the picture) and they didnt come in the Kingswood model.
I didn't think the HR was a Kingswood. Dad had a HR amongst many others and we had 74? HQ automatic and it was quick off the lights. I love cars and motor racing!

I didn't think the HR was a Kingswood. Dad had a HR amongst many others and we had 74? HQ automatic and it was quick off the lights. I love cars and motor racing!
Correct. The Kingswood came out a bit later when Holdens got a larger model. This is an HR, but we get the message.

Reactions: PattiB
I learnt to drive in a Kingswood. We had a couple of Kingswoods.
I thought picture looks more like a Premier?

A friends father had a Kingswood which we (18-20 females in 1980-82) were allowed to borrow occasionally usually with the admonishment "don't scratch it". Ted Bullpit would have been proud of the condition. I think the fear of having to admit it was damaged made us VERY careful. Another friends Mum had a HR which was great at the Drive in - big enough for at least 6 of us and room on the Bonnet to seat at least 4 as we drooled over Mel Gibson in Tim and Gallipoli

Last edited:
Reactions: PattiB
That's not a Kingswood it's an HR Special I used to build them at Acacia Ridge in Brisbane then built the HK Kingswood in 1968,great cars great times, sadly no more.

Reactions: oldchook58
My Dad had an Army Green coloured on. Was told it was a Special Edition because of the double rim on the back window. I can still remember driving to Townsville in it towing a caravan. That was the year Townsville was destroyed at Christmas ('73).

I learned to drive in the model before this one. My dad and my husband always had Holdens so I’ve driven a few of them. I loved our v8 kingswood but the last one we had was truly horrible, it constantly stalled on me. Often Ted would come home to find it parked in odd places because I’d abandoned it in frustration. He really shouldn’t have taken my mini.

• Haha
Reactions: Veggiepatch
That's not a Kingswood it's an HR Special I used to build them at Acacia Ridge in Brisbane then built the HK Kingswood in 1968,great cars great times, sadly no more.
Did you ever work on the Toranas? Ours had been tampered with in the factory, but I think they said it was made in Adelaide, metal filings kept appearing in the carburettor. It was always at the dealership being repaired so was the last Holden we ever bought, making the switch to Ford. We now have Subarus which have served us well. I still get nostalgic whenever I see a mini.

My first car was an HR (as shown in the picture) and they didnt come in the Kingswood model.
You are right they were called Holden Special and the sedans had the special ability to rust by the time they were 12 months old. Firstly in the doors, then the front guards and bonnet (HD bonnet rusted considerably faster than the HR) and boot lid. Station Wagon's were on a different level again, with the tailgate and roof above it almost disappearing within 3 to 5 years of it starting to rust.

I think you will find the photo shown is not a 'Kingswood' but a HR Holden which was built between 1966 and 1968. The Kingswood was the HK model built in 1968 and was produced through to the WB model the final run being in 1985. The Kingswood was a completely different design to the HR shown.
Regards Adrian Martin (Arthur)

• Love
Reactions: oldchook58
Bob is 100% correct. The photo is of a 1966/7 Red HR Holden special sedan with non- original wheels.

I also owned a 1967 HR Premier, the first Kingswood was a 1968 HK I and currently own an original 1969 HT Kingswood

Me and my HD Ute, with the “pedestrian cutters” on the front mudguards.

Attachments

• IMG_7306.jpeg
    IMG_7306.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 0
I think you will find the photo shown is not a 'Kingswood' but a HR Holden which was built between 1966 and 1968. The Kingswood was the HK model built in 1968 and was produced through to the WB model the final run being in 1985. The Kingswood was a completely different design to the HR shown.
Regards Adrian Martin (Arthur)
You seem to know what your talking about. We had a HT once upon a time followed by a "74 HQ automatic red motor sedan. Dad had a Monaro when they first come out, best car he ever had.