Hilarious old clip of Sesame Street’s Elmo arguing with a rock sends fans into a frenzy — “Was Elmo always like this?”

Hilarious old clip of Sesame Street’s Elmo arguing with a rock sends fans into a frenzy — “Was Elmo always like this?”
Sesame Street has been a part of childhoods all over the world since it first aired in 1969.

As more and more characters are being introduced in the long-established series, complex (yet entertaining) storylines are also being developed.

One of such intriguing character's is Rocco, Zoe's pet rock.

You read that right, folks! For those who have not been tuning in on the show, Rocco was introduced in Sesame Street's 30th season in 1999.

But, did you also know that one of the most well-known characters from the show, Elmo, had a long-standing feud with Rocco?

Another shocker, I know. But the furry red Muppet has always had a hard time controlling his frustration over Zoe's insistence on treating her pet rock like a real person.

Although this schtick may seem weird to most of us, Sesame Street fans were losing it after a certain fan took to Twitter to post a clip of Elmo going on a rampage in a 2004 episode titled "Elmo feels he's treated unfairly by Rocco".

Twitter user @Wumbooty tweeted the clip along with the caption: 'There are tears in my eyes y’all my stomach hurting.'

The 35-second clip showed Elmo asking Gabi (Desiree Casado) if he can have an oatmeal raisin cookie — the red Muppet's favourite.

However, Gabi told Elmo that she had just given the last one to Rocco.

Elmo quickly responded, telling Gabi that he would just trade cookies with the pet rock.

Zoe then informed him that Rocco wants the oatmeal for himself.

At this point, Elmo flipped out on his friend and her pet rock, saying: 'Rocco? Rocco’s a rock, Zoe! Rocco won’t know the difference.'

'Yes, he will!” Zoe responded.

'You can’t have that cookie, Elmo! Rocco wants to eat it!' she added.

Elmo then hit back with: 'How? How is Rocco going to eat that cookie, Zoe? Tell Elmo. Rocco doesn’t even have a mouth.'

'Rocco is just a rock. Rocco is not alive.'

XVjZQQ0XUwIxvxE1Yzr5jY7I1j5NAdWECYX7F2_j6oGt8cfMkeF9heOoWQZgSwtV5iGqnN6nko0u276lMjpL_p2cv339jteZQ29rVSOFUhQlPOtdty2CQD_2WDVpz6npfjSag50

Elmo argued that rocks can’t eat cookies. Credit: Twitter,

The video — which has been viewed more than 7.4 million times on Twitter — has sent users into a frenzy of laughter, with many 'accusing' Zoe of gaslighting Elmo.

One user asked: 'Was Elmo always like this? 'Cause I watched this all the time but never clocked how funny he is.'

'The Elmo vs Rocko saga is one of the most astounding things I've ever seen,' another added.

A third wrote: 'The funniest part is that Elmo's never in the wrong, but he keeps getting scolded for not playing along. And Zoe gaslights the crap out of him in every situation.'

Another added: 'That rock did something to Elmo and imma find out what happened.'

Other users were inspired to share other clips of Elmo and Zoe's arguments on the social media platform, with one clip showing the pals feuding about whether Rocco can play.

User @formermerc tweeted along with a clip: 'Elmo vs Rocko the greatest rivalry of all time.'

'On one hand, Elmo is a petty king. On the other, Zoe is a gaslighting legend,' one person said.

'Truly I cannot pick a side here, I revere them both.' the user added.

Meanwhile, a number of Twitter users said that the absurdity of the rivalry is what they needed in 2022.

One person wrote: 'Things like Elmo having a feud with a pet rock are why I joined Twitter in the first place. Not to try and preserve democracy.'

'I just tried to explain the Elmo v. Rocco feud to my mom. She thought I was crazy for finding it amusing. Look, I think we all needed this in year 3 of the pandemic,' another shared.

A third chimed in: 'I wish I had been a Sesame Street parent in the age of Elmo absolutely HATING this rock! This video, and all the other ones in the replies, are INCREDIBLE.'

'The way @elmo refuses to let Zoey gaslight him is the kind of energy I'm bringing to 2022,' someone else shared.

The 'backlash' over Zoe's attitude towards her pet rock and Elmo prompted the red Muppet to release a statement.

Elmo tweeted on Wednesday night: 'Don't worry everybody! Elmo and Zoe practiced sharing and are still best buds forever! Elmo loves you Zoe! Ha ha ha!'

'Elmo doesn't want to talk about Rocco.'

The red Muppet also revealed that he's still not over the cookie incident, writing: 'Has anybody ever seen a rock eat a cookie?'

“Elmo is just curious.”

EMTmyOH1tmdV_KuqoaEZKjU1BwlJA43Uk_6c1JfXddktYuEfobw7Xk2gP3IucLrewcxT2ptSZRvMSrRORz2c3o5E4Hh8aBu_I6C19ohMfT5HJeoXjYX4WqjePtya-diyHRitg-s

8JAGSRsXzHrC1ruMP7XzNgfBsVmk-KLISvd-ZM4yOyFALbL4zlVZ5iLFxERCOG752WmbuByscXwPVhmVEMfqo4S1U2OXEy8mAL8fpJCBV_r1fweDhSSrm6PHjLZS1tFTs_G931M

Elmo issues a statement regarding the viral video. Credit: Twitter/@elmo.

Are you a fan of Sesame Street? If you are, what is the show's most memorable moment for you?

Sponsored