Hidden adult jokes that made their way into cartoon shows

Now we all have to admit, on occasion, children's movies and TV shows are bloody hilarious!

Here are some of the hilarious rated-18 jokes that made their way on cartoon shows.

Dg3BBjCx4aC9aFxrR1usvT9_RTeFuyV2AjDTXHFzY05cyj_uJ029SYw1Ojye2_rw18fJgBMUKCbb4X2H7DVGMNMf7fBgJsGijmDB_uu82PCdPCOWrbyAg_oQu2TIiYPeR5X8f8I

Credit: wanna-joke.com/DreamWorks.

1. This scene from Shrek (2004) may seem to be an innocent question from the green ogre to his friend Donkey.

However, adults surely catch the humour behind it, especially since Lord Farquaad is a man of short stature. The scene implies that Lord Farquaad's huge castle compensates for something small he has...maybe his height or something else. Can you pick exactly what they mean?

TFuFt_0vDGZEqfSR1OJVUXIevHiMoVKPACAmdx8BS_RSdYPohTOWToO-WYFo3MsTVSP2TudgJDyTEbzYNIc3U1CDznGNHCr39oVTYoaXcu4NNJsxW4yQYCjnIEIzB99bwky766E

Credit: complex.com/Cartoon Network

2. The Powerpuff Girls series has inspired generations of young girls to become strong and independent, showing them that girls can be superheroes too.

In this clip, Blossom — the red-haired girl — told her sisters that the villain shrinks in size when its masculinity is threatened.

At first glance, particularly for children, this seems perfectly innocent. But, once it clicks, it's pretty clear what's up (or in this case...down).

CR2MIZ7vE2wok7dilyo0u38JY0ggGWUw2x1HMiWR8npAuFAXuF5rs8-vCR8hkIaSommA37aXbLJanGROxxaCSGtV3pXNmLhDrmKc0LwKtOrGClHNezwfz17poany2CRyPyqZlAg

Credit: @tastesliketurtles/Reddit/Nickelodeon

3. Let's be honest, kids don't usually understand puns. That's why this scene showing Dr Bendova's name from Rocko's Modern Life definitely got the pass for being innocent.

sV8ObVw5xOdTrscE0VmE_rvB0mJ7KhHLJPJvEmmdiT3fxbjj2JRgvY5CPCINyS-OqGugBjePLN04D4QR_SPoxWU-uIbrSQz5FOCsIjN26vsbLLuYLjh0nDi_LGZATAX0GDwm0hw

Credit: Clay/ifunny.co/Kids’ WB

4. We're sure kids don't have any idea of how relationships work. It’s pretty unlikely the tiny tots understood this clever quip in this scene where a grumpy police officer sarcastically answered Freakazoid's question on why he's still single with "I like meat too much".

m8g5FHh3OaM1zTH36cj2pTxTaS4SMDuUWrVcuNuXZwIDbXD5_z7DcHrrcz7MVj8WtCBwsCOkGIGYIJwMxZWssu2AjZio1OiZ9LKXwqy_49wd63oU7hM8Z8K_NjKigLGt84iSpBs

Credit: galleryroulette.com/Nickelodeon

5. We're assuming the target audience of the Fairly OddParents series is prepubescent children.

However, in this scene, Timmy's parents were watching an advert that seemed to be pertaining to the "behavioural changes" an individual goes through puberty. A little bit cheeky eh?

D5uw---lLaH3RwMT4vR0pGhJqdQUhC5yUIb8dhvLOiDZTPfanQIIERDUU4pomKD5bY9YNWaCbDdtTvk2WYe5lAVdmii27freoKdc9R1P8gtjX-qnfAZ99L1U7aDweDiC-Tod1wE

Credit: Pinterest/Nickelodeon

6. This scene from Rugrats may seem to imply that adult cartoon characters may need some time to enjoy some of their favourite movies themselves too. If you know what we mean…

b-qyPyokIh-Oqe66fufwRzd_fnHZlN9voPa9rZroaI31KvcIeEQRVz_6JSAWOcUD-CUf9E4OOtZVKDccqyh13_bwLLLUVgPXysf0bWgzbJjlFbnFui1cu0L2IlnkIRhLtcczXtc

Credit: @GeraSol13/Imgur/Cartoon Network

7. Speaking of adult experiences, this dirty joke has made its way in the Justice League Unlimited series where Hawkgirl gave a sarcastic comment about The Flash's claim that he's the fastest man alive. Maybe it’s not always a superpower…

DANtBt6wpMFsP7C3hf6rgoCdp1kwQtEOi_yPRs12diUwt038DwVIpz3m0-yGiz7eLcYH9zTgII1nxvwaAQmWSIYD_y0zQfg_d-F8NEna60htZR_LDkpGjUAP5jUkpw4DsA8-vac

Credit: YouTube

8. Several dark jokes can be found in some of the scenes in Three Little Pigs. In the scenes, frames containing photos of meat products — ham and sausages — were displayed around the piglets' home.

Seems like this piglets family met a tragic yet delicious end.

pIdE6Oa8-y-_OIV3qekVRR4qD8bBF8KuDUjAOOfRP87hNrzWf1g2W2DNVfv7BJtFLya2sqzLgE-H39O6IwqQ9SyFaF4j7kr3KJql6dhBWb6zeEQCH2Y00RgIA1YBA-o95Y8B34k

Credit: Buzzfeed News/CBS

9. One scene from Scooby-Doo focused on the flirting attempts of Velma's — the female character wearing glasses — older cousin Marcy — the blonde girl — with Fred.

In her flirting attempts, Marcy said that she's 18 and is legal to vote...you know, amongst other things she's legal to do at that age.

TGW2uleAnDQ9_VfAhXqNouTO-pU6SeryuKN8lbRlM2ZikkWDoTtLp3YDs9Zj1fbxAWder_1zCYes7kpaCeeAQ9C6QoLgHLgmrcYAdr8us-Lq4oJu1ucsudt0q9OQtGT00dt0jZU

Credit: @fatalxheadshotx1/Imgur/Cartoon Network

10. For those who are not aware of the Powerpuff Girls series, the superhuman girls were accidentally made from the lab by the professor using various chemicals.

So, this befittingly adult joke played on the idea of "accidentally conceiving kids" when a girl said she was "an accident too" after Bubbles — the blonde girl — introduced the girl to the professor.

While we recognise that the producers of these shows don’t have any ill-intent for inserting these jokes in kids’ shows, we encourage our members who supervise their grandkids to always be on the lookout for any possible age-inappropriate scenes on TV.

Have you spotted any adult jokes on kids television? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I find it a total shame that kids movies/shows cannot be just that. I do not see any reason whatsoever that any 'adult jokes' should be inserted in kids shows. Let kids be kids for as long as possible. Its a tough world out there & they are expected to grow up to fast.

Reactions: Ricci
I find it a total shame that kids movies/shows cannot be just that. I do not see any reason whatsoever that any 'adult jokes' should be inserted in kids shows. Let kids be kids for as long as possible. Its a tough world out there & they are expected to grow up to fast.
If the kids are not going to get the adult jokes, why not? They will still be innocent and us adults can have a wee chuckle within. ;) Lighten up, we have enough politically sh... in our world already and we need loads of humour more than ever.

I may be particularly dense but almost all of the adult jokes would have completely passed me by. When I watch a kids movie I'm not looking for adult content, therefore I don't see it.

Reactions: Groovy and VeeFar
The adult humour (however much I disapprove of it, or of it appearing in kids' movies) does give the adults (who may have seen this movie for the fifth time, something to be amused by.

In another light, the original Chipmunks' movie had Theodore hiding behind the eight-ball when they were first discovered messing up the kitchen. Now, that joke I really appreciated!

Or maybe there was no adult jokes intended 🤷🏻‍♀️ Just people having a wondering mind 😁

Last edited: