Here’s how you can help veterans while enjoying the classic Anzac biscuits this Anzac Day

Anzac Day is fast approaching!

The special holiday where we commemorate our brave veterans who fought for our country's peace and freedom is traditionally celebrated with a fresh batch of Anzac biscuits that will surely satisfy your sweet tooth.

And for those who are looking to support veterans, we've got good news for you!

Coles has partnered with The Bravery Trust (BT) — a social services organisation supporting veterans and serving members of the Australian Defence Force who incurred an injury or illness as a result of their service — to offer its own brand of Anzac bikkies which is currently available in all of its stores nationwide until April 25.

This year, the retailer pledged to donate 50 cents from every pack of its $2.75 Anzac biscuit — which comes with 12 biscuits — sold between April 20 to April 25 to the Bravery Trust.

e3EmDul7wQWvEc6sqgZlpE38pcGYVI5xDp-3oNpLuylT2Hwmh2AIdlkB0UVmRlQX0Fpu-HsB3npINGlRuIt6ZIwGulQfn2PxcB3qcZgWx6NGJBbF9w2SG_cMIxLj8pWyvCLjhpM

Coles announced a partnership with The Bravery Trust to support veterans this Anzac Day. Credit: Rob Leeson.

The partnership allows Australians to enjoy the classic Aussie bikkie while being able to donate money to the veterans.

75-year-old AFL legend Kevin Sheedy described the biscuits as a "quintessential" Australian treat.

“Even if it’s not Anzac Day, they’re the first one I go for,” he said.

Mr Sheedy, who's in his 5th year serving as an ambassador for the charity, said that he will be stocking up on the delicious treats.

He said: “They taste even better if I know they’re a donation to The Bravery Trust. I’ll eat more biscuits that I normally would over that period.”

While Mr Sheedy did not go to war and will not be marching on Anzac Day, he was conscripted for national service in the late 1960s.

“I don’t march because I didn’t go to war,” he said while explaining why he dedicated himself to supporting the charity.

“It’s not good enough we don’t look after the Defence Forces when they come home from war zones."

“We need to put our hand up, look after them and give them the confidence they didn’t fight for nothing.”

8F0NkobpMPvORaZzGUH4xqRN_vrB2cM9JAIwEdUmeESpJVvJzJ0c5QhLEHceEJGrxZuv68OCAJJCVpK0lWYNPa8Ac3NBffI-oMsJsOcvck3h0PXv2_Dbkm2HptAFSFO7LHH_g-I

Mr Sheedy said that Anzac biscuits are great treats to enjoy all year round, not just on Anzac Day. Credit: Rob Leeson.

Victorian veteran Gordon Traill said that the BT has helped him pay for his daughter's congenital condition.

He recalled: “Our youngest daughter needed surgery for a congenital condition.”

“I wrote a letter to BT about how I was prepared to go into debt to pay for it. They rang me a day later and told me they would cover everything."

“I couldn’t believe it. They didn’t just help me, they helped my family."

BT CEO Belinda Wilson expressed her gratitude for Coles' initiative, describing its support for the charity as "invaluable".

She quipped: “With the help of Coles and their customers, not only can we change the lives of veterans and their families – together, we can save lives.”

Will you be getting your hands on these classic bikkies this Anzac Day? Share your thoughts with us!

Sponsored
While the majority of Australians are enjoying a lot less Covid restrictions it would do them well to remember that many Australian veterans who live in aged care facilities are going to spend Anzac Day in isolation and lockdown. Our veterans care home will not be having an Anzac service for the first time in over 30 years. Even in 2020 at the height of the pandemic many veterans at our facility held candles in the driveway at 6am to Light Up The Dawn. But no service or remembrance of any kind this year. So while Australians this year enjoy their freedom remember those Vets isolated in their aged care homes.

Anzac Day was always a big thing in our family. With both my husband and I as reservist Cadet Officers and both kids cadets our Anzac day used to start at 3am ready for the Dawn Service, quickly followed by the March and then later in the day a service at the local retirement home. As the kids grew they both went on to serve in the Navy, son for 13 years and daughter still serving at 20 years and counting. Anzac day is still an important day for my family, my daughter will march, unfortunately my son has to work or he too would be marching and I will watch it all on tv with an Anzac biscuit in my hand.:):coffee:🍪🍪☕