Here's what one shopper got for $96 at Woolies - how did they fare?

With the cost of groceries skyrocketing, what can a hundred dollars get you at the supermarket?

One Aussie shopper recently took to Reddit to share their haul and people had a lot of thoughts.

The shopper took to the AusFinance thread — where Aussies can share finance-related news and tips on Reddit — and said: 'How did I go? $96.25 including 1.5kg of chicken breast/thigh and 250g salami. Few half-price items.'

The small collection of goods included taco meals, UP & GO, fresh veggies such as a carrot, cucumbers and onions, eggs, pasta, tortillas, spinach, some meats, two boxes of cereal and ice cream.

Needless to say, other Redditors were as impressed as they were curious about the shopper’s haul!

jgbjbg (1).png
One shopper shared their $96 Woolies haul with Reddit and got varied reactions. Image Credit: Reddit/user professor cheese

'Nice effort! How much were all those UP n GOs?' one asked. ‘You could save money by buying a flavoured protein powder and your choice of milk.'

Another said: 'A bowl of quick oats would be cheaper and possibly more nutritious than UP and GOs. Most only take about 90 seconds in the microwave with some milk, add in a touch of fruit and yay health. All in all though, nice work!'

‘Two-hundred fifty grams of salami! That’s a fair amount!’ one of the most upvoted (liked) comments said.

‘Stays fresh (for) 3 weeks usually. (Salamis are) good for a sandwich or toastie,’ the shopper responded.

Some commenters pointed out that there were other ways to get better value for money, such as shopping for fresh produce from markets instead of at the supermarket.

‘I hope this doesn't come across as judgmental because it's not meant to be,’ another user said. ‘But if you cut back on pre-packaged crap and shop for fresh produce, you'll get better value for money.’

'Supermarkets sell s**t produce at high prices…shopping from markets will get you more food and better quality for a better price. And you'll get a nice walk while you're at it.'

A couple of others also took aim at the shoppers' haul, which some felt had too few healthy options and too many unhealthy items like ice cream and soft drinks.

To their credit, the shopper said they had items like the ice cream on sale at half price which prompted them to purchase.

20230129-180407.jpg
The shopper eventually shared their dinner in response to commenters who felt like their grocery haul was more on the unhealthy side. Image Credit: Image Credit: Reddit/user professor cheese

Perhaps to drill their point down further, they even shared their dinner to prove that they weren’t living an unhealthy diet.

‘Just for all the haters — this is my dinner tonight,’ they added, showing a Teriyaki Chicken Poke Bowl featuring beans, corn, and carrot and cucumber slices.

‘I (don’t) mean to suggest this was my whole diet for the week. I wanted to offer an alternative to all the “This is too expensive posts” (on the forum).’

‘I get my fruit and vegetables elsewhere. I also stock up when things I like are half-price.’

Well, all in all, it was a decent shop, especially at a time when it feels like Aussies have their backs against the wall as far as cost-of-living is concerned.

According to Canstar Blue, the average Aussie spends $104 weekly on groceries.

However, inflationary pressures have steadily hounded consumers over the past months, leading some to look down at their shopping carts in dismay at what their money can buy them.

Another recent conversation on Reddit spoke of adjustments some people have been forced to make, including cutting back on cereals, fruits, and even meat just to make ends meet.

That said, if certain assumptions hold true for 2023, Aussies might be seeing the light at the end of the consumer tunnel soon.

Industry experts expect food inflation to stabilise this year as the global supply chain continues adjusting to the fallout from Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and the end of La Nina, which brought immense amounts of rainfall in eastern Australia.

‘Food inflation in 2023 is likely to moderate,’ ANZ Director of Industry Insights and Agribusiness Michael Whitehead said.

‘There are some factors pushing it up and pushing it down. The ones pushing food inflation up are the domestic ones: input costs, high fuel, high fertiliser [prices] still, high labour rates particularly and high-interest rates.’

In particular, the Reserve Bank of Australia is expected to raise interest rates again following the record-high inflation rate posted for 2022. This in turn would add to consumers’ woes given a further hike in the prices of consumer goods said to follow.

‘The world’s taken a deep breath and said, “Yeah, the Ukraine issue is still there,” but there’s more certainty for where wheat will come from, and Australia’s had a great crop.’

Key Takeaways
  • An Aussie shopper has showcased a recent Woolies grocery haul that includes name brands and half-price items, costing only $96.
  • Some Redditors suggested the shopper could have saved money by reducing the number of pre-packaged goods they bought and shopping from markets instead.
  • Others noted that the shopper should be buying a greater variety of fruit and vegetables.
  • The shopper explained that what they shared wasn’t their usual basket of grocery goods and stressed that they do watch what they eat.
While we’d recommend a celebratory drink, beer is also set to become expensive…

In the meantime, a lot of us could use some useful tips on how to get more out of our budgets, so be sure to check out what one consumer advocacy group shared about shopping smarter!

So, what do you think about our shopper’s $96 haul? Do you agree that they could have opted for healthier choices?

Or maybe you have any shopping tips or homemade recipes to share?

We’d love to hear from you - let us know in the comments below!

Source: YouTube/9 News Australia

Sponsored
I would skip the UP and GO boxes. I would also skip the frozen Spinach, due to all the spinach scares. I buy those frozen cubes for just over a dollar for years. I can't say anything more about her shopping, because most of the stuff I don't/can't eat, the wheat and horrible carbs in some foods. I am a diabetic and eat lowcarb/keto ..

With the cost of groceries skyrocketing, what can a hundred dollars get you at the supermarket?

One Aussie shopper recently took to Reddit to share their haul and people had a lot of thoughts.

The shopper took to the AusFinance thread — where Aussies can share finance-related news and tips on Reddit — and said: 'How did I go? $96.25 including 1.5kg of chicken breast/thigh and 250g salami. Few half-price items.'

The small collection of goods included taco meals, UP & GO, fresh veggies such as a carrot, cucumbers and onions, eggs, pasta, tortillas, spinach, some meats, two boxes of cereal and ice cream.

Needless to say, other Redditors were as impressed as they were curious about the shopper’s haul!

View attachment 12557
One shopper shared their $96 Woolies haul with Reddit and got varied reactions. Image Credit: Reddit/user professor cheese

'Nice effort! How much were all those UP n GOs?' one asked. ‘You could save money by buying a flavoured protein powder and your choice of milk.'

Another said: 'A bowl of quick oats would be cheaper and possibly more nutritious than UP and GOs. Most only take about 90 seconds in the microwave with some milk, add in a touch of fruit and yay health. All in all though, nice work!'

‘Two-hundred fifty grams of salami! That’s a fair amount!’ one of the most upvoted (liked) comments said.

‘Stays fresh (for) 3 weeks usually. (Salamis are) good for a sandwich or toastie,’ the shopper responded.

Some commenters pointed out that there were other ways to get better value for money, such as shopping for fresh produce from markets instead of at the supermarket.

‘I hope this doesn't come across as judgmental because it's not meant to be,’ another user said. ‘But if you cut back on pre-packaged crap and shop for fresh produce, you'll get better value for money.’

'Supermarkets sell s**t produce at high prices…shopping from markets will get you more food and better quality for a better price. And you'll get a nice walk while you're at it.'

A couple of others also took aim at the shoppers' haul, which some felt had too few healthy options and too many unhealthy items like ice cream and soft drinks.

To their credit, the shopper said they had items like the ice cream on sale at half price which prompted them to purchase.

View attachment 12558
The shopper eventually shared their dinner in response to commenters who felt like their grocery haul was more on the unhealthy side. Image Credit: Image Credit: Reddit/user professor cheese

Perhaps to drill their point down further, they even shared their dinner to prove that they weren’t living an unhealthy diet.

‘Just for all the haters — this is my dinner tonight,’ they added, showing a Teriyaki Chicken Poke Bowl featuring beans, corn, and carrot and cucumber slices.

‘I (don’t) mean to suggest this was my whole diet for the week. I wanted to offer an alternative to all the “This is too expensive posts” (on the forum).’

‘I get my fruit and vegetables elsewhere. I also stock up when things I like are half-price.’

Well, all in all, it was a decent shop, especially at a time when it feels like Aussies have their backs against the wall as far as cost-of-living is concerned.

However, inflationary pressures have steadily hounded consumers over the past months, leading some to look down at their shopping carts in dismay at what their money can buy them.

Another recent conversation on Reddit spoke of adjustments some people have been forced to make, including cutting back on cereals, fruits, and even meat just to make ends meet.

That said, if certain assumptions hold true for 2023, Aussies might be seeing the light at the end of the consumer tunnel soon.

Industry experts expect food inflation to stabilise this year as the global supply chain continues adjusting to the fallout from Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and the end of La Nina, which brought immense amounts of rainfall in eastern Australia.

‘Food inflation in 2023 is likely to moderate,’ ANZ Director of Industry Insights and Agribusiness Michael Whitehead said.

‘There are some factors pushing it up and pushing it down. The ones pushing food inflation up are the domestic ones: input costs, high fuel, high fertiliser [prices] still, high labour rates particularly and high-interest rates.’

In particular, the Reserve Bank of Australia is expected to raise interest rates again following the record-high inflation rate posted for 2022. This in turn would add to consumers’ woes given a further hike in the prices of consumer goods said to follow.

‘The world’s taken a deep breath and said, “Yeah, the Ukraine issue is still there,” but there’s more certainty for where wheat will come from, and Australia’s had a great crop.’

Key Takeaways

• An Aussie shopper has showcased a recent Woolies grocery haul that includes name brands and half-price items, costing only $96.
  • Some Redditors suggested the shopper could have saved money by reducing the number of pre-packaged goods they bought and shopping from markets instead.
  • Others noted that the shopper should be buying a greater variety of fruit and vegetables.
  • The shopper explained that what they shared wasn’t their usual basket of grocery goods and stressed that they do watch what they eat.

In the meantime, a lot of us could use some useful tips on how to get more out of our budgets, so be sure to check out what one consumer advocacy group shared about shopping smarter!

So, what do you think about our shopper’s $96 haul? Do you agree that they could have opted for healthier choices?

I'm allergic to Gluten, Dairy, MSG & sulphites, which cut out an awful lot of even healthy foods...go ahead, show me hoe I can eat for those prices, and no I'm NOT vegetarian, and sulphites mean 1/2 the veges I used to eat, I no longer can. .go on. .make my day!.

I'm allergic to Gluten, Dairy, MSG & sulphites, which cut out an awful lot of even healthy foods...go ahead, show me hoe I can eat for those prices, and no I'm NOT vegetarian, and sulphites mean 1/2 the veges I used to eat, I no longer can. .go on. .make my day!.
Rusty-anne, ditto for me. And Soy as well for me added to that list. It's impossible for me to shop under 150 and lately has been hitting $200 and that's just food that won't affect me, no package food etc! I'm semi retired at the moment, and the $ are just disappearing faster than ever with so much less product.

• Sad
Reactions: debjane
Rusty-anne, ditto for me. And Soy as well for me added to that list. It's impossible for me to shop under 150 and lately has been hitting $200 and that's just food that won't affect me, no package food etc! I'm semi retired at the moment, and the $ are just disappearing faster than ever with so much less product.
Keep a look out for half price specials, I am gluten, lactose intolerant with IBS, so look out for scecials like the cereals etc, also try the health food shops for cereals like puffed rice and puffed corn, both are very nice.

Reactions: Jennylolo
Keep a look out for half price specials, I am gluten, lactose intolerant with IBS, so look out for scecials like the cereals etc, also try the health food shops for cereals like puffed rice and puffed corn, both are very nice.
Yep, I always go for sales/discounts. For eg. Cereal has gone from 6-$7.60 and one packet does 4 meals. Almond milk has gone from 2.70- $3.60 and I use 1 litre a day minimum. I can't do lactose free products as its the casein that is the issue. the bread I like has 10 slices and is now 7.6 and only occasionally has $1 off. I buy in bulk when these are on special and bread I freeze. It is a challenge for sure. Used to get 1/2 price almond milk quite often, but since it went up no, rare if there is any there. I have woolies, Aldi and down the other end of the centre is Coles, and I move between them all, buying discounted whenever possible. Though Aldi has next to no alternatives at my store. And I go different days and times, making use of when I get sales and woolies boost all discounts etc.

Reactions: debjane

View attachment 12557

View attachment 12558

Key Takeaways

We'd be a lot better off if governments and their agencies, namely councils laid off increasing rates year after year. How; in the name of God can a home increase in value from 480K to 560K in 12 months?
And house values have dropped, so help me Bob they'll change the rate in the $ so's as to keep on living their high life.

Reactions: Carol
Hi.
May i ask...
Why the Hell do you need COKE , ( over priced Water and Sugar ).
Thank You

Yep, I always go for sales/discounts. For eg. Cereal has gone from 6-$7.60 and one packet does 4 meals. Almond milk has gone from 2.70- $3.60 and I use 1 litre a day minimum. I can't do lactose free products as its the casein that is the issue. the bread I like has 10 slices and is now 7.6 and only occasionally has $1 off. I buy in bulk when these are on special and bread I freeze. It is a challenge for sure. Used to get 1/2 price almond milk quite often, but since it went up no, rare if there is any there. I have woolies, Aldi and down the other end of the centre is Coles, and I move between them all, buying discounted whenever possible. Though Aldi has next to no alternatives at my store. And I go different days and times, making use of when I get sales and woolies boost all discounts etc.
I buy the expensive cereals and mix 2 or 3 boxes together with cheaper cereals, 3 or 4 boxes of the gf cornflakes, rice puffs and whatever cheaper ones like cocoa pops etc and I get a great mix, I know what the bread prices are like but I love the Coles brand 5 seed bread at $5.60 a loaf and find it nicer that the dearer brands, likewise I buy in bulk too when they are on special, but we only have a small woolies and an IGA here in town, hour drive to Launceston, do a Coles online shop when they have special or my son gets stuff when or if he goes in there for work, I buy fruit on special and freeze or buy frozen berries as they can be rubbish out here, one of the best fruit and veg growing areas in Tasmania and no decent fruit, thank goodness for roadside stalls. We have no Aldi and they do not intend putting any in Tasmania.

Reactions: Jennylolo
I buy the expensive cereals and mix 2 or 3 boxes together with cheaper cereals, 3 or 4 boxes of the gf cornflakes, rice puffs and whatever cheaper ones like cocoa pops etc and I get a great mix, I know what the bread prices are like but I love the Coles brand 5 seed bread at $5.60 a loaf and find it nicer that the dearer brands, likewise I buy in bulk too when they are on special, but we only have a small woolies and an IGA here in town, hour drive to Launceston, do a Coles online shop when they have special or my son gets stuff when or if he goes in there for work, I buy fruit on special and freeze or buy frozen berries as they can be rubbish out here, one of the best fruit and veg growing areas in Tasmania and no decent fruit, thank goodness for roadside stalls. We have no Aldi and they do not intend putting any in Tasmania.
yes I would do that if I could- however my comment was following one I did as a reply and didn't repeat here- I am gluten, wheat, dairy and soy intolerant, so I can't have any of those you listed. The rice and corn ones still have ingredients that are an issue for me. I have had a seedy bread which is gluten free but current one I get is better taste. We sure have to be smart what we purchase and for what price.