Here's how you can vacuum seal Ziploc bags WITHOUT using any machine!

For many, having a vacuum sealer is considered a must-have appliance, especially for those who like to stock up on groceries in bulk and keep them fresh for months at a time.

Let's be honest, though; not everyone is interested in spending the money on a vacuum sealer, and some of us simply don't have room in our kitchens for one.

But if you want to keep your food as fresh as possible while it's in storage, a recent viral hack could be the way to go.

According to Sid, who goes by the handle @sidneyraz on his social media accounts, there is a way you can vacuum seal food without having to buy any expensive vacuum sealing equipment – all you need is some Ziploc bags and a bowl of water.

EA6GBt4KBfnp3Pgn5nWqriskpRmx1U5hjnnueowypOmnGxPnlvSz4bm3RGlSnlImiNHAm-bDD6TUfTfqfitJMw9tFluSb-wgISuqFpXS7bT3u4MH2hB1_qDrX7jvX-SPm05pgfVURF6ARHimxYpNa-Asih8oe65IAldCBL379sNBhhms6WcYqALN3Q

TikToker shows an unusual way to vacuum seal Ziploc bags without a vacuum sealer. Credit: Yahoo! News.

'Here's something I didn't know until I was in my 30s,' said Sid on the now-viral video on TikTok and Instagram. He went on to say that you can vacuum seal a Ziploc bag by simply dipping it in water.

At the beginning of the video, he wasn't so sure if the trick would work, so he got out some blueberries, a small Ziploc bag, and a bowl of water to test it. He put the berries in the plastic bag and closed it, leaving only the smallest hole for air to get out.

It wasn't until he submerged the bag in the water that the trick began to work. The berries in the bag were compressed by the water pressure, which forced the air to rise to the top and eventually escape out of the small gap.

From there, the last bit of air can be pushed out of the bag. This made the berries pretty much airtight in the bag, without having to resort to a fancy and expensive machine!

Food that has been vacuum-sealed is less likely to spoil quickly or get freezer burn, as the absence of air in the packaging prevents oxidation. It's also a great way to speed up sous vide cooking and marinating because the dressing can spread out evenly in an airtight environment.

In just a matter of weeks, Sid's lifehack video went viral on the internet, amassing 9.7 million views and more than 1 million likes.

Hundreds of users commented on his post, saying that they had no idea the trick was so simple and easy, and that they were looking forward to giving it a try.

'Omg, this is fantastic!' one person wrote, while another went on to add: 'How do you people find out these things? Thank you for sharing!'

'Seriously, these household, everyday life hacks are what we all need in life,' said a third.

Meanwhile, a fourth added: 'And all this money I was about to spend on a vacuum sealer machine…'

So what do you think about this kitchen trick, folks? Are you looking to try this? Because we sure are!

Watch the video below to see how this method may be used to successfully vacuum seal larger portions of food:

Credit: Serious Eats.

Sponsored
For many, having a vacuum sealer is considered a must-have appliance, especially for those who like to stock up on groceries in bulk and keep them fresh for months at a time.

Let's be honest, though; not everyone is interested in spending the money on a vacuum sealer, and some of us simply don't have room in our kitchens for one.

But if you want to keep your food as fresh as possible while it's in storage, a recent viral hack could be the way to go.

According to Sid, who goes by the handle @sidneyraz on his social media accounts, there is a way you can vacuum seal food without having to buy any expensive vacuum sealing equipment – all you need is some Ziploc bags and a bowl of water.

EA6GBt4KBfnp3Pgn5nWqriskpRmx1U5hjnnueowypOmnGxPnlvSz4bm3RGlSnlImiNHAm-bDD6TUfTfqfitJMw9tFluSb-wgISuqFpXS7bT3u4MH2hB1_qDrX7jvX-SPm05pgfVURF6ARHimxYpNa-Asih8oe65IAldCBL379sNBhhms6WcYqALN3Q

TikToker shows an unusual way to vacuum seal Ziploc bags without a vacuum sealer. Credit: Yahoo! News.

'Here's something I didn't know until I was in my 30s,' said Sid on the now-viral video on TikTok and Instagram. He went on to say that you can vacuum seal a Ziploc bag by simply dipping it in water.

At the beginning of the video, he wasn't so sure if the trick would work, so he got out some blueberries, a small Ziploc bag, and a bowl of water to test it. He put the berries in the plastic bag and closed it, leaving only the smallest hole for air to get out.

It wasn't until he submerged the bag in the water that the trick began to work. The berries in the bag were compressed by the water pressure, which forced the air to rise to the top and eventually escape out of the small gap.

From there, the last bit of air can be pushed out of the bag. This made the berries pretty much airtight in the bag, without having to resort to a fancy and expensive machine!

Food that has been vacuum-sealed is less likely to spoil quickly or get freezer burn, as the absence of air in the packaging prevents oxidation. It's also a great way to speed up sous vide cooking and marinating because the dressing can spread out evenly in an airtight environment.

In just a matter of weeks, Sid's lifehack video went viral on the internet, amassing 9.7 million views and more than 1 million likes.

Hundreds of users commented on his post, saying that they had no idea the trick was so simple and easy, and that they were looking forward to giving it a try.

'Omg, this is fantastic!' one person wrote, while another went on to add: 'How do you people find out these things? Thank you for sharing!'

'Seriously, these household, everyday life hacks are what we all need in life,' said a third.

Meanwhile, a fourth added: 'And all this money I was about to spend on a vacuum sealer machine…'

So what do you think about this kitchen trick, folks? Are you looking to try this? Because we sure are!

Watch the video below to see how this method may be used to successfully vacuum seal larger portions of food:

I just use a metal straw. I seal the bag leaving a little bit open, place the straw in it and suck the air out. It works a treat but I am going to give this a try. Who knows it might be better!

Reactions: Zoya and Ricci

Fantastic!

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci

Great hint, thanks. (As easy as falling off a log).

Reactions: Ricci