Heating incident at home leaves couple fight for survival

In an incident that serves as a stark reminder of the dangers lurking within our own homes, a couple in their 50s has been left fighting for their lives after a heating accident led to suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

The couple was found unconscious by their teenage children in their Westminster home in Perth, highlighting the silent yet deadly risks associated with improper heating practices.

The incident occurred just before 12.45 PM on Tuesday, 25 June, when the children stumbled upon their unresponsive parents in the bedroom.

Emergency services were called to the scene, and the couple was rushed to Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, where they remain in critical condition.

Screenshot 2024-06-26 at 8.33.46 AM.png
A couple was found unconscious in their home after being suspected of carbon monoxide poisoning. Credit: 7NEWS Perth / Facebook

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless gas that can be fatal if inhaled in large quantities.

Acting District Officer Luke Miles from the Department of Fire and Emergency Services said the couple had been using charcoal as a heating source in their unvented bedroom, a decision that almost cost them their lives.

‘They were using (the charcoal) as a heating source in the bedroom... where both of the casualties were located,’ Miles said.

He also pointed out that ‘for a long period of time, they’ve been exposed to potential carbon monoxide poisoning’.

This can lead to severe health consequences such as headaches, nausea, vomiting, loss of consciousness, seizures, and even death.

‘The important safety message surrounding that is obviously the burning of any material within an enclosed space, (you) must make sure that you have a well-ventilated area,’ he added.

Authorities have stated that the incident is not being treated as suspicious, but it serves as a critical wake-up call for everyone.

A neighbour reported a 'horrible' smell, which could have been an indicator of the presence of carbon monoxide, but often, there are no noticeable signs until it's too late.

You can watch 7NEWS Perth’s coverage below:

Credit: 7NEWS Perth / Facebook

Homeowners are cautioned about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning as winter approaches and heaters are used more.

In a previous story, a group advocated for preventing carbon monoxide intoxication at home. You can learn more about these tips here.
Key Takeaways
  • A man and woman are fighting for their lives in a Perth hospital after suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • The couple was found unconscious by their teenage children in their Westminster home due to charcoal burning in an unvented bedroom.
  • The incident serves as a warning about the dangers of burning materials in enclosed spaces without proper ventilation.
  • Authorities are not treating the emergency as suspicious, but safety messages have been issued to prevent similar incidents.
Have you installed carbon monoxide detectors in your home? Do you have any other tips for staying safe during the colder months? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Sadly, there are often such sad events each winter. People finding “innovative” ways of heating their homes can be a recipe for disaster. So many Australian residences are inadequate in winter. Many of my colleagues used to say they had never felt so cold as they did in Australia. Understandable when you’re from India and the Philippines , but Ireland, Canada and the UK! I am planning to remove the last of my unflued gas heaters when I can. Meanwhile, carbon monoxide monitors are as important as smoke detectors.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless gas that can be fatal if inhaled in large quantities.

A neighbour reported a 'horrible' smell, which could have been an indicator of the presence of carbon monoxide, but often, there are no noticeable signs until it's too late.

Does anyone else see a contradiction here?

YES

So sad that people are having to resort to heating that puts their lives at risk just to stay warm. A sad reflection on the cost of living crisis forcing so many people into poverty.

Reactions: Ezzy

If odourless, what caused the horrible smell?

We were in an air B&B and the owners told us there was a gas heater but without a flue and we should keep a window open so we didn’t get a headache. Even with the window open I still got a headache and felt really sick. We complained and they gave us an electric and a fan heater. I felt very uneasy about the gas heater.

Reactions: Ezzy and Gsr
I have always been fearful of gas anything.
I don't even own a gas BBQ and operate our teeny tiny barbie off an outdoor power point.
When I was in my first leave the nest rental, I had a gas water heater that was fitted in the bathroom under the shower head. It used to pop, crackle and make loud wooshing noises. Scared the beegeezes out of me.
No gas for me, thanks very much.

I had a cousin & his girlfriend who were overcome by carbon monoxide poisoning when they took their kero heater into the bathroom to warm it while they were showering. The steam snuffed the flame meaning carbon monoxide gas was emitted & being odourless they were unaware & passed out under the shower.

We were in an air B&B and the owners told us there was a gas heater but without a flue and we should keep a window open so we didn’t get a headache. Even with the window open I still got a headache and felt really sick. We complained and they gave us an electric and a fan heater. I felt very uneasy about the gas heater.
Agree. Yet in nsw the department of education had unflued heaters for years in offices and classrooms . Teachers were always told to keep windows open, crazy.

I have always been fearful of gas anything.
I don't even own a gas BBQ and operate our teeny tiny barbie off an outdoor power point.
When I was in my first leave the nest rental, I had a gas water heater that was fitted in the bathroom under the shower head. It used to pop, crackle and make loud wooshing noises. Scared the beegeezes out of me.
No gas for me, thanks very much.
I have always used gas & prefer it to electric appliances.