Heated online debate: Is it okay to recline your seat on a plane?

In-flight etiquette is a touchy subject, isn't it? Just when you think you've got the hang of it, something new pops up to start another argument. The latest issue to come under scrutiny is the practice of reclining one's seat during a flight.

Is it considered rude to do so and 'trespass' on the personal space of the passenger behind you? Or is it perfectly acceptable, given that everyone paid for their seat and should be allowed to use it as they please?

This debate was recently re-sparked by TikTok users Henry and Mike Budrewicz, known collectively as The Pointer Brothers.

The brothers shared a video on the social media platform showing what appears to be an extreme case of someone reclining their seat all the way back on a plane. This leaves very little space for Mike, who is seated behind them.

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 8.48.04 AM.png
A plane passenger raises a 'red flag' for the reclined seat in front of him. Credit: TikTok.

The text on the video reads: 'Five-hour flight home. Is this the most reclined seat in the history of aviation?' along with The Pointer Brothers' hashtag #redcard – referencing the rules in many sporting games that send a player off the field AKA they believe this passenger deserves to be 'kicked out'.

Since being posted, the clip has received over 4 million views and generated a lot of discussion in comments about whether or not this practice should be allowed on planes.

Some viewers were outraged by the passenger in front's behaviour, claiming that reclining your seat on a flight is bad manners as it impinges on another traveller's comfort.

'Out of respect for the person behind me, I never recline,' said one user, with another adding, 'Those seats should just not recline. It's cramped enough, and I already don't have legroom.'

A third went on to say: 'I convince myself that for every person that reclines, it must be their first flight, and they don't understand how AWFUL it is for the person behind them.'

Others, though, took a more nuanced approach to the problem. One person commented, 'You can recline your seat but not to the point where the person behind you doesn't have any more space to move.'

Another agreed and said: 'Flight attendants should make the point, or announcement, to return seats back to upright during meal times,' along with the hashtags #manners and #etiquette.

Several others, on the other hand, were very much on 'Team Recline', and argued that it is totally okay for plane passengers to recline the seats that they paid for. Those who complained about having less personal space were advised to simply recline their own seat in return.

'I'm gonna recline every time,' commented one user, with another saying: 'I recline my seat every single time and never once have I been upset with the seat in front of me for reclining their seat…'
Key Takeaways

• A video of a passenger reclining their seat back on a flight has re-sparked the age-old debate about whether the practice is fair or just plain rude.
  • In the footage, the camera pans around, showing the plane cabin, before coming to rest on one of the brothers - whose space is severely compromised by the passenger in front's reclined seat.
  • Some viewers were outraged by the passenger in front's behaviour, claiming that reclining your seat on a flight is bad manners as it impinges on another traveller's comfort. Others were very much okay with it, with some commenting that the solution is simply to recline your own seat.
So, what's the verdict, members? Is it ever okay to recline your seat on a plane, or is that a big no-no? Let us know your thoughts in the comments!

Sponsored
I always ask the person sitting behind me is it alright if I recline my seat, some say no if you don't mind I haven't much room now, some say yes but not all the way back, if you ask first this could alleviate some conflict during a long flight.

Reactions: Ricci
There are seat designs available that recline by way of the base of the seat moving forwards opposed to the top of the seat rotating on a pivot backwards - eg the Rocky mountaineer trains in Canada. By moving the seat forwards the space lost is legroom but only for the person wishing to recline. The person reclining pays for their preferred sitting position by losing legroom - a perfect solution! If this can’t be done airlines should simply prevent seats from reclining.

In-flight etiquette is a touchy subject, isn't it? Just when you think you've got the hang of it, something new pops up to start another argument. The latest issue to come under scrutiny is the practice of reclining one's seat during a flight.

Is it considered rude to do so and 'trespass' on the personal space of the passenger behind you? Or is it perfectly acceptable, given that everyone paid for their seat and should be allowed to use it as they please?

This debate was recently re-sparked by TikTok users Henry and Mike Budrewicz, known collectively as The Pointer Brothers.

The brothers shared a video on the social media platform showing what appears to be an extreme case of someone reclining their seat all the way back on a plane. This leaves very little space for Mike, who is seated behind them.

View attachment 8854
A plane passenger raises a 'red flag' for the reclined seat in front of him. Credit: TikTok.

The text on the video reads: 'Five-hour flight home. Is this the most reclined seat in the history of aviation?' along with The Pointer Brothers' hashtag #redcard – referencing the rules in many sporting games that send a player off the field AKA they believe this passenger deserves to be 'kicked out'.

Since being posted, the clip has received over 4 million views and generated a lot of discussion in comments about whether or not this practice should be allowed on planes.

Some viewers were outraged by the passenger in front's behaviour, claiming that reclining your seat on a flight is bad manners as it impinges on another traveller's comfort.

'Out of respect for the person behind me, I never recline,' said one user, with another adding, 'Those seats should just not recline. It's cramped enough, and I already don't have legroom.'

A third went on to say: 'I convince myself that for every person that reclines, it must be their first flight, and they don't understand how AWFUL it is for the person behind them.'

Others, though, took a more nuanced approach to the problem. One person commented, 'You can recline your seat but not to the point where the person behind you doesn't have any more space to move.'

Another agreed and said: 'Flight attendants should make the point, or announcement, to return seats back to upright during meal times,' along with the hashtags #manners and #etiquette.

Several others, on the other hand, were very much on 'Team Recline', and argued that it is totally okay for plane passengers to recline the seats that they paid for. Those who complained about having less personal space were advised to simply recline their own seat in return.

'I'm gonna recline every time,' commented one user, with another saying: 'I recline my seat every single time and never once have I been upset with the seat in front of me for reclining their seat…'
Key Takeaways

• A video of a passenger reclining their seat back on a flight has re-sparked the age-old debate about whether the practice is fair or just plain rude.
  • In the footage, the camera pans around, showing the plane cabin, before coming to rest on one of the brothers - whose space is severely compromised by the passenger in front's reclined seat.
  • Some viewers were outraged by the passenger in front's behaviour, claiming that reclining your seat on a flight is bad manners as it impinges on another traveller's comfort. Others were very much okay with it, with some commenting that the solution is simply to recline your own seat.
So, what's the verdict, members? Is it ever okay to recline your seat on a plane, or is that a big no-no? Let us know your thoughts in the comments!

Recline away. Your seat, do what is comfortable and for you. I have a bad back and would never last long sitting in the upright position. The seats are made that way for your person comfort otherwise why do we have them if we can't recline. Yes they should be in the upright position when meals are served.

I think there's a time to recline and a time to sit upright. Why make the seats recline if you don't want people to recline? Meal times definitely upright but when it's a long trip and people are going off to sleep yes recline 👍

Reactions: IJH and Defiant540
There are seat designs available that recline by way of the base of the seat moving forwards opposed to the top of the seat rotating on a pivot backwards - eg the Rocky mountaineer trains in Canada. By moving the seat forwards the space lost is legroom but only for the person wishing to recline. The person reclining pays for their preferred sitting position by losing legroom - a perfect solution! If this can’t be done airlines should simply prevent seats from reclining.
but there is much more space with those seats on the Rocky Mountaineer....I was amazed at how much space and we were in the cheap seats.

It’s totally selfish and uncaring of others comfort who have equally paid for their seat on an airline (or a bus) that are subject to being discomforted by the self absorbed people that recline into the space of those behind them - I do however blame the companies though for the lousy seat designs and focus on profit by jamming as many seats in a plane or bus as they can reducing everyone’s space exacerbated further by these poorly designed reclining seats! People who recline regardless of others comforts will then say go buy a more expensive ticket - purchase your extra space - yeah right - no worries!

View attachment 8854

Key Takeaways

It’s totally selfish and uncaring of others comfort who have equally paid for their seat on an airline (or a bus) that are subject to being discomforted by the self absorbed people that recline into the space of those behind them - I do however blame the companies though for the lousy seat designs and focus on profit by jamming as many seats in a plane or bus as they can reducing everyone’s space exacerbated further by these poorly designed reclining seats! People who recline regardless of others comforts will then say go buy a more expensive ticket - purchase your extra space - yeah right - no worries!
I have just done a long haul flight to Santiago Chile and back and I hate that you can recline your seats. It invades your space so much if you want to get up for a pee you can't without grabbing the back of the chair in front to lever your way through. We are all trying to rest the best way we can please people be mindful of your fellow passengers. Normally to help me slide right through...if I haven't manager to purloin an aisle seat it to raise the armrests and slide along the length but unfortunately this is not always available as was these flights. Don't get me started on broken flights GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR especially if the stop is in New Zealand GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR