Heartwarming story of how a stranger helped a woman pay for her week’s worth of groceries after the checkout rejects her card — “You’re a Godsend”

A heartwarming story of how a stranger helped a woman who was struggling to pay for her weekly groceries after her credit card got rejected by the checkout.

1s0X39oBj1dGc06cdiI_G8g_ROvj5lDMIG8Lx8YRrVLpIR7WBlnGY3gj-l6awIJgOJ14fPJLFySqT8teGqVGulcOtcyMCpzqX7U-FgHv4DA9Nb3bga3OZnlFz74tJstRTbRPj7g

An Aldi shopper struggled to pay for her week’s worth of groceries after the check out rejected her payment method. Credit: AAP.

Victoria shopper Kate Brown took to Facebook to share her experience on how a "kind gentleman" offered to pay for her $150 shop when she found out at the checkout in her local Aldi store at Bentleigh that Apple Pay has removed her credit card account from the app.

She wrote: "I often read these types of posts but until today, this has never happened to me!"

Kate said that she was stuck at the checkout and had no idea how she was gonna pay for her groceries for the week.
Fortunately, Adam, the man behind her, offered to pay for the groceries.

"The kind gentleman behind me offered to pay for my whole shop! I was so embarrassed and flustered as to why my card had been removed," she recalled.

Kate said that she actually refused the offer because she found it embarrassing but the man insisted on paying for the groceries.

"I kept refusing but he was so kind and insisted," she said.

Kate also clarified that she paid Adam back by waiting for him to finish at the checkout before transferring funds back to him.

The shopper extended her gratitude for Adam, writing: "Thank you so much for getting me out of a tricky and embarrassing situation! You were a godsend, given it was a week worth of school lunches and dinners!"

"I know there would be a lot of people who would have otherwise just been frustrated I was holding up a checkout."

EI0uqWi-ZmLBftaefUWg7-cN_yULbl7qqJD9pfF87N5qLmekTXMsIP6PyWG-x_8x4eIJFm1zIw9G-N8g4AlsukXVb3QkX2m6W39iU6G2u8kKLBsmDaFFR5uogUg3BnS-fOAJbx0

The woman said that she paid back Adam after he finished paying for the groceries by transferring the funds back to him right away. Credit: Facebook/Aldi.

Facebook users swooned over the heartwarming story, with many writing that they are touched by this act of kindness.

One person wrote: "How nice there are good people."

"Seems angels do walk among us, well done, Adam!" a woman wrote.

A third chimed in: "Nice to hear of something kind and selfless in these ongoing difficult times."

"There are some good humans left in this world," another quipped.

Others offered pieces of advice on how to solve the issue of the app removing your credit card in case it happens again.

One man wrote: "Card gets removed from Apple Pay if a new replacement car is issued or if the old one expired."

"Sign out of your Apple ID, restart the phone. Sign back in and let it all load for about 10-15 mins. Try again," another advised.

Others shared similar experiences.

One man wrote: "One reason I don’t trust Apple Pay and Google pay and would always carry a card with me as an emergency."

"Got stuck once before when Apple Pay went down rendering all card transactions declined," he added.

A third shared: "I had an issue at the checkout once (chip failed I think) and the lady behind me kept going off at me about being "organised" or something."

Do you use your phone to pay for groceries? Or do you prefer sticking to cards or cash? Let us know and why down below!

Sponsored
Heartwarming story of how a stranger helped a woman pay for her week’s worth of groceries after the checkout rejects her card — “You’re a Godsend”

A heartwarming story of how a stranger helped a woman who was struggling to pay for her weekly groceries after her credit card got rejected by the checkout.

1s0X39oBj1dGc06cdiI_G8g_ROvj5lDMIG8Lx8YRrVLpIR7WBlnGY3gj-l6awIJgOJ14fPJLFySqT8teGqVGulcOtcyMCpzqX7U-FgHv4DA9Nb3bga3OZnlFz74tJstRTbRPj7g

An Aldi shopper struggled to pay for her week’s worth of groceries after the check out rejected her payment method. Credit: AAP.

Victoria shopper Kate Brown took to Facebook to share her experience on how a "kind gentleman" offered to pay for her $150 shop when she found out at the checkout in her local Aldi store at Bentleigh that Apple Pay has removed her credit card account from the app.

She wrote: "I often read these types of posts but until today, this has never happened to me!"

Kate said that she was stuck at the checkout and had no idea how she was gonna pay for her groceries for the week.
Fortunately, Adam, the man behind her, offered to pay for the groceries.

"The kind gentleman behind me offered to pay for my whole shop! I was so embarrassed and flustered as to why my card had been removed," she recalled.

Kate said that she actually refused the offer because she found it embarrassing but the man insisted on paying for the groceries.

"I kept refusing but he was so kind and insisted," she said.

Kate also clarified that she paid Adam back by waiting for him to finish at the checkout before transferring funds back to him.

The shopper extended her gratitude for Adam, writing: "Thank you so much for getting me out of a tricky and embarrassing situation! You were a godsend, given it was a week worth of school lunches and dinners!"

"I know there would be a lot of people who would have otherwise just been frustrated I was holding up a checkout."

EI0uqWi-ZmLBftaefUWg7-cN_yULbl7qqJD9pfF87N5qLmekTXMsIP6PyWG-x_8x4eIJFm1zIw9G-N8g4AlsukXVb3QkX2m6W39iU6G2u8kKLBsmDaFFR5uogUg3BnS-fOAJbx0

The woman said that she paid back Adam after he finished paying for the groceries by transferring the funds back to him right away. Credit: Facebook/Aldi.

Facebook users swooned over the heartwarming story, with many writing that they are touched by this act of kindness.

One person wrote: "How nice there are good people."

"Seems angels do walk among us, well done, Adam!" a woman wrote.

A third chimed in: "Nice to hear of something kind and selfless in these ongoing difficult times."

"There are some good humans left in this world," another quipped.

Others offered pieces of advice on how to solve the issue of the app removing your credit card in case it happens again.

One man wrote: "Card gets removed from Apple Pay if a new replacement car is issued or if the old one expired."

"Sign out of your Apple ID, restart the phone. Sign back in and let it all load for about 10-15 mins. Try again," another advised.

Others shared similar experiences.

One man wrote: "One reason I don’t trust Apple Pay and Google pay and would always carry a card with me as an emergency."

"Got stuck once before when Apple Pay went down rendering all card transactions declined," he added.

A third shared: "I had an issue at the checkout once (chip failed I think) and the lady behind me kept going off at me about being "organised" or something."

Do you use your phone to pay for groceries? Or do you prefer sticking to cards or cash? Let us know and why down below!
This happened to me a couple of years ago. The lady behind me in the checkout line, when my credit card was declined she paid for my groceries which was over $200.00. I was ever so grateful, but somewhat embarrassed. I wanted to pay her back. However, she insisted that it was not necessary!

My hubby always likes to be IT savvy and refuses to carry a wallet anymore and have his cards in that. I am not so trusting. I no longer carry my heavy handbag everywhere but I bought a new phone case that holds around 12 cards in some way or form. I have gotten him out of trouble quite a few times!!

I have seen this happen at Aldi Oxley store with the 2 people in front of me in the queue: the front lady had a problem paying for her shop, she had small children with her and it was clearly an awful moment for her. The lady in front of me stepped in and paid for her with such graciousness that nobody would refuse!!
I also had this happen to me a few months earlier at a Woolworths checkout when for some reason no ANZ cards could be accepted at the pay point, I did not have any cash on me. A lovely man waiting with his family at the front of the store, stepped in immediately to ask if he could help and insisted he pay for my $80.00 shop! my embarrassment and frustration dissolved into gratitude to this lovely Arab man who did not want to give me his bank details so I could transfer the money back, however I wasn’t having any of it and he eventually gave in. I will remember his kindness forever
PS: I only mention that he was Arab because in Australia Arab men get a bit of a bad rap - and the good needs to be reported too!

I always use cash, I know shop frown on it ,But as far as I know cash is still legal tender.
My hubby always likes to be IT savvy and refuses to carry a wallet anymore and have his cards in that. I am not so trusting. I no longer carry my heavy handbag everywhere but I bought a new phone case that holds around 12 cards in some way or form. I have gotten him out of trouble quite a few times!!
I refused for a long time to keep my cards in my phone as I was concerned that if my phone was stolen my cards went along with it. I was always fosecking for my wallet in my handbag which was such a pain and very frustrating, I have relented and my cards are now in my phone

I have seen this happen at Aldi Oxley store with the 2 people in front of me in the queue: the front lady had a problem paying for her shop, she had small children with her and it was clearly an awful moment for her. The lady in front of me stepped in and paid for her with such graciousness that nobody would refuse!!
I also had this happen to me a few months earlier at a Woolworths checkout when for some reason no ANZ cards could be accepted at the pay point, I did not have any cash on me. A lovely man waiting with his family at the front of the store, stepped in immediately to ask if he could help and insisted he pay for my $80.00 shop! my embarrassment and frustration dissolved into gratitude to this lovely Arab man who did not want to give me his bank details so I could transfer the money back, however I wasn’t having any of it and he eventually gave in. I will remember his kindness forever
PS: I only mention that he was Arab because in Australia Arab men get a bit of a bad rap - and the good needs to be reported too!
Because of COVID most places now do not accept cash for payment. I definitely prefer to pay by card. Cashless payment.

i had this kind woman pay for my groceries christmas time in 2018 i didn't have enough money to pay for the groceries and started putting them back on the belt when the woman behind me tapped me on my shoulder and told me she will pay for my groceries i could not believe it and asked her if she was an angel because no-one has never done this before i thanked her so much i couldn't believe it she said go home and enjoy the day what a beautiful person i have never seen her again that was at safeway south morang the groceries cost $205.00 yes i do believe in angels i will never forget this woman and i hope she is having a great life love margaret(y):oops::giggle:

Never put your cards on your phone, my husband rouses on me because I often forget to take my mobile with me. I always have a backup card in case of emergency,so if my regular bank goes down, or the store ATM wont read the card, I have another option.

Reactions: Julie1
I don't have my cards on my phone preferring to use normal credit or debit cards.

It is nice to see that in todays society we still have kind people out there, good on you Adam!
I have a phone, I have a credit card and I have cash and I don't go with 'cashless'! Cash and its germs were around looooong before Covid struck and I will stick to using cash for as long as possible!

I always use cash, I know shop frown on it ,But as far as I know cash is still legal tender.
Yes I'm like you Joyce I prefer to pay with cash .I draw out what I need so at least I know what I can afford to spend ,,

And you certainly are more conscious of how much you can spend and have spent, that’s for sure, particularly if you are on a tight budget or trying to save money for other things … like paying off your mortgage faster!