Heartwarming reunion caught on camera: Gogglebox's Emmie Silbery's emotional return after tragic health reveal

The Australian television landscape was left a little less bright when beloved Gogglebox star Emmie Silbery, 94, had to step away from the show in 2022.

However, a recent reunion with her co-stars has brought a touch of that sparkle back, reminding us all of the joy she brought to our screens.

In a touching video shared on social media, Emmie was seen reuniting with her Gogglebox Australia co-stars, Keith and Lee Riley.

The footage, aptly captioned 'Our Emmie', showed the retired TV star beaming as she embraced her close friends, Keith, 62, and Lee, 61.

photo.jpg
A heartwarming reunion of Gogglebox stars with Emmie Silbery became emotional. Credit: @lee_and_keith / Instagram

As Stevie Wonder's hit 'Isn't She Lovely' played in the background, the joyous reunion served as a poignant reminder of the bond formed over years of shared laughter and commentary.

Emmie's departure from the show was marked by an emotional tribute during last year's season premiere.

After 14 seasons of sharing her wit, wisdom, and infectious laughter with viewers, Emmie's journey on the show came to an end due to a heartbreaking dementia diagnosis.

The iconic red chair she once occupied sat empty, a silent testament to her absence, while her daughter Kerry and granddaughter Isabelle continued to hold the fort.

A voiceover paid respect to Emmie, saying, 'We love you, Emmie, and we hope you continue to enjoy the show.'

The sentiment was echoed by viewers who took to social media to share their tributes and express their sadness at her departure.

'We'll miss you, Emmie,’ one said.

'Sad that Emmie is no longer on Gogglebox Australia. I hope she is receiving good care in the retirement village,' another said.

A third person wrote, 'Emmie will be dearly missed.'

Seniors Discount Club members also shared similar sentiments on the matter.

‘I will miss Emmie on the show. She really is,a character and is not afraid to say what she thinks,’ member @Marj53 said.

‘I loved watching her, she was adorable and so funny… Sending the family lots of love and strength,’ member @LeslieD added.

You can watch the lovely reunion below:

Emmie's diagnosis and subsequent move to an aged care facility was a difficult transition for her family.

In an interview with The Project host Sarah Harrison, Kerry and Isabelle opened up about the challenges they faced.

Kerry revealed that the 'hardest part' was having to tell Emmie that she wouldn't be appearing on the show anymore.

‘She said why not, and we said you've got dementia, and she said I'm perfectly alright, there's nothing wrong with me, I'm not ga-ga,' Kerry explained.

'This is real life. Emmie is no longer able to do the show, and we wanted to be really transparent about that and not have her disappear off the couch,' Isabelle added.

Key Takeaways
  • Emmie Silbery, former star of Gogglebox Australia, had a touching reunion with her co-stars Keith and Lee Riley after leaving the show due to a dementia diagnosis.
  • She starred in the show for 14 seasons before retiring in 2022, and her absence was acknowledged in an emotional tribute during the show's season premiere.
  • Viewers and fans expressed their love and sadness on social media, sharing tributes to the beloved TV personality.
  • Emmie's daughter Kerry and granddaughter Isabelle opened up about the challenges of her diagnosis and the difficult conversation about her not returning to the show.
Are you a fan of Gogglebox Australia? Share the memorable stories you encountered in the show in the comments below!

Sponsored
The Australian television landscape was left a little less bright when beloved Gogglebox star Emmie Silbery, 94, had to step away from the show in 2022.

However, a recent reunion with her co-stars has brought a touch of that sparkle back, reminding us all of the joy she brought to our screens.

In a touching video shared on social media, Emmie was seen reuniting with her Gogglebox Australia co-stars, Keith and Lee Riley.

The footage, aptly captioned 'Our Emmie', showed the retired TV star beaming as she embraced her close friends, Keith, 62, and Lee, 61.

View attachment 38818
A heartwarming reunion of Gogglebox stars with Emmie Silbery became emotional. Credit: @lee_and_keith / Instagram

As Stevie Wonder's hit 'Isn't She Lovely' played in the background, the joyous reunion served as a poignant reminder of the bond formed over years of shared laughter and commentary.

Emmie's departure from the show was marked by an emotional tribute during last year's season premiere.

After 14 seasons of sharing her wit, wisdom, and infectious laughter with viewers, Emmie's journey on the show came to an end due to a heartbreaking dementia diagnosis.

The iconic red chair she once occupied sat empty, a silent testament to her absence, while her daughter Kerry and granddaughter Isabelle continued to hold the fort.

A voiceover paid respect to Emmie, saying, 'We love you, Emmie, and we hope you continue to enjoy the show.'

The sentiment was echoed by viewers who took to social media to share their tributes and express their sadness at her departure.

'We'll miss you, Emmie,’ one said.

'Sad that Emmie is no longer on Gogglebox Australia. I hope she is receiving good care in the retirement village,' another said.

A third person wrote, 'Emmie will be dearly missed.'

Seniors Discount Club members also shared similar sentiments on the matter.

‘I will miss Emmie on the show. She really is,a character and is not afraid to say what she thinks,’ member @Marj53 said.

‘I loved watching her, she was adorable and so funny… Sending the family lots of love and strength,’ member @LeslieD added.

You can watch the lovely reunion below:

Emmie's diagnosis and subsequent move to an aged care facility was a difficult transition for her family.

In an interview with The Project host Sarah Harrison, Kerry and Isabelle opened up about the challenges they faced.

Kerry revealed that the 'hardest part' was having to tell Emmie that she wouldn't be appearing on the show anymore.

‘She said why not, and we said you've got dementia, and she said I'm perfectly alright, there's nothing wrong with me, I'm not ga-ga,' Kerry explained.

'This is real life. Emmie is no longer able to do the show, and we wanted to be really transparent about that and not have her disappear off the couch,' Isabelle added.

Key Takeaways

• Emmie Silbery, former star of Gogglebox Australia, had a touching reunion with her co-stars Keith and Lee Riley after leaving the show due to a dementia diagnosis.
  • She starred in the show for 14 seasons before retiring in 2022, and her absence was acknowledged in an emotional tribute during the show's season premiere.
  • Viewers and fans expressed their love and sadness on social media, sharing tributes to the beloved TV personality.
  • Emmie's daughter Kerry and granddaughter Isabelle opened up about the challenges of her diagnosis and the difficult conversation about her not returning to the show.
Are you a fan of Gogglebox Australia? Share the memorable stories you encountered in the show in the comments below!

Emmie is a lady with a wicked sense of humour. I bet she's got some interesting stories to tell.

The only reality show with actual real people giving their own opinions about the crap television that is being dished up to us these days. And we love their take on the rubbish that is being thrown at us because of the commercial restraints being left on the cutting room floors when they say, "what should we do with this?" someone says, "Send it to Australia"