Heartwarming act caught on camera restores Aussie’s faith on Remembrance Day—see what happened!

Every year on 11 November, Aussies pause to remember and honour the courageous men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice while serving us in wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations.

Remembrance Day is a poignant day for many, especially those who have had family and loved ones leave us in the defence of our nation.

However, the day has brought a newfound sense of hope, thanks to a heartening event that was captured on camera.

One local from Melbourne proudly planted a ‘Lest We Forget’ sign and a merchant navy flag outside his home—a small tradition for the local every 11 November.

It was during one particular Remembrance Day that the homeowner noticed something special on the security footage taken from his driveway.

A group of children walking down the street had stopped to pay their respects before the sign. Many of them gave small salutes—which left the local (and later social media users) deeply touched.

24ddf170-8053-11ee-bf3f-6afd69a5635b.png
The heartwarming driveway scene was recorded by a home security camera. Image source: Reddit

The homeowner explained what happened, saying: ‘I put a sign and flag out every Anzac Day and Remembrance Day. Just had a group of kids walk past, a few giving a salute... Just brilliant.’

One commenter also praised the thoughtful gesture, calling them ‘Good kids’.

In Australia and many other countries, people honour the Armistice that ended the conflict with Germany in World War I by observing a minute of silence at the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month.

This year signifies the 105th anniversary since the Armistice was signed.

In the photo posted on social media, the homeowner was seen flying an Australian flag with a red background, deviating from the traditional blue. This change signifies the use of the merchant navy flag, as explained by the resident.

One commenter asked why the choice of the merchant navy flag, ‘Why the merchant navy flag?’

‘It's the flag the Anzacs fought under during the war years,’ the homeowner replied.

Before 1954, Australians were more familiar with the red ensign, according to the Australian National University. The shift to the blue ensign, previously reserved for federal government use, became more widespread following the enactment of the Flag Act.

remembrance-1057685_1280.jpg
The red poppy is universally recognised as the symbol of remembrance.
Image source: Pixabay

Poppies also symbolise remembrance and play a significant role in commemorations, especially on Remembrance Day in Australia. Traditionally worn on clothing and placed beside names on honour boards, these crimson blooms evoke solemnity and respect.

The tradition originated from Flanders during World War I, immortalised by Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae's poem. Poppies have become a universal emblem in Australia, deeply rooted in honouring those who sacrificed their lives in war.

Key Takeaways

• An Aussie captured a heartwarming moment on Remembrance Day through his home security camera, showing children stopping to pay respects to a 'lest we forget' sign displayed outside his house.
  • The local Melbourne resident shared the sweet act on social media, where users applauded the children's respectfulness.
  • Remembrance Day is held annually on 11 November to commemorate those who died serving in wars, conflicts and peacekeeping operations.
  • The Australian flag flown by the homeowner was a red merchant navy flag, which was explained as the flag the Anzacs fought under during the war years.
  • Poppies also symbolise universal remembrance, particularly on Remembrance Day.
Members, have you experienced or witnessed a heartwarming act such as the one captured on Remembrance Day in Melbourne?

Share your stories of kindness and respect in the comments below!

Sponsored
This would all go down to their parents teaching them
I went to my doctors yesterday with my 20 year old son, hubby dropped us off and went down to the garden centre. After we finished we walked down a bit and outside a corner house just outside their gate is a small concrete pillion with a plaque with the words "Lest We Forget " and we will remember them.

I have seen this plenty of times after going to my doctors and every time I walk past I say "We will rember them ".

My son said how it's a strange place to have it just outside someone's home , I said maybe but how good is it to walk by and see , and remember

Whenever we are travelling around Australia, if we see a war memorial, I always walk up to it and just say "Thank You". I know, I know that they can't hear me. But due to their sacrifice, I am living a great life.
So it is not only on 11 November but other days as well I acknowledge their sacrifice.

I happened to be working on Remembrance Day. Out of respect I made an announcement 5 minutes beforehand that the staff would stop serving to observe the minutes silence. It warms my heart that everyone in the shop stopped and lowered their head. A gentleman even popped his hand over his daughters mouth to stop her from talking. Many of the customers thanked me later being so respectful. Absolutely amazing. Lest We Forget

Reactions: magpie1
Thank you for your Sacrifice and your service in Australia's Defence Forces. ....Lest we Forget.

My Mum (93 years young) told me of a conversation she recently had with a young man (late 20's - mid 30's) who works at the gym she goes to. She was telling him where Dad had been posted and what he had done during the war. So he asked her what war. WWII. Apparently he has never heard of it! My Dad never spoke of it to us but we all knew where he had been and what he did. The first time I ever heard him talk about it was to my 2 teenage sons when they were about 15 and 17.

At the eleventh Hour of the eleventh Day of the eleventh Month I pulled over to the curb, activated my warning lights, alighted and stood with head bowed. I was amazed and uplifted by the many Drivers and Pedestrians that joined me. God bless you all.

At the eleventh Hour of the eleventh Day of the eleventh Month I pulled over to the curb, activated my warning lights, alighted and stood with head bowed. I was amazed and uplifted by the many Drivers and Pedestrians that joined me. God bless you all.
RESPECT.

Every year on 11 November, Aussies pause to remember and honour the courageous men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice while serving us in wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations.

Remembrance Day is a poignant day for many, especially those who have had family and loved ones leave us in the defence of our nation.

However, the day has brought a newfound sense of hope, thanks to a heartening event that was captured on camera.

One local from Melbourne proudly planted a ‘Lest We Forget’ sign and a merchant navy flag outside his home—a small tradition for the local every 11 November.

It was during one particular Remembrance Day that the homeowner noticed something special on the security footage taken from his driveway.

A group of children walking down the street had stopped to pay their respects before the sign. Many of them gave small salutes—which left the local (and later social media users) deeply touched.

View attachment 34467
The heartwarming driveway scene was recorded by a home security camera. Image source: Reddit

The homeowner explained what happened, saying: ‘I put a sign and flag out every Anzac Day and Remembrance Day. Just had a group of kids walk past, a few giving a salute... Just brilliant.’

One commenter also praised the thoughtful gesture, calling them ‘Good kids’.

In Australia and many other countries, people honour the Armistice that ended the conflict with Germany in World War I by observing a minute of silence at the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month.

This year signifies the 105th anniversary since the Armistice was signed.

In the photo posted on social media, the homeowner was seen flying an Australian flag with a red background, deviating from the traditional blue. This change signifies the use of the merchant navy flag, as explained by the resident.

One commenter asked why the choice of the merchant navy flag, ‘Why the merchant navy flag?’

‘It's the flag the Anzacs fought under during the war years,’ the homeowner replied.

Before 1954, Australians were more familiar with the red ensign, according to the Australian National University. The shift to the blue ensign, previously reserved for federal government use, became more widespread following the enactment of the Flag Act.

View attachment 34468
The red poppy is universally recognised as the symbol of remembrance.
Image source: Pixabay

Poppies also symbolise remembrance and play a significant role in commemorations, especially on Remembrance Day in Australia. Traditionally worn on clothing and placed beside names on honour boards, these crimson blooms evoke solemnity and respect.

The tradition originated from Flanders during World War I, immortalised by Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae's poem. Poppies have become a universal emblem in Australia, deeply rooted in honouring those who sacrificed their lives in war.

Key Takeaways

• An Aussie captured a heartwarming moment on Remembrance Day through his home security camera, showing children stopping to pay respects to a 'lest we forget' sign displayed outside his house.
  • The local Melbourne resident shared the sweet act on social media, where users applauded the children's respectfulness.
  • Remembrance Day is held annually on 11 November to commemorate those who died serving in wars, conflicts and peacekeeping operations.
  • The Australian flag flown by the homeowner was a red merchant navy flag, which was explained as the flag the Anzacs fought under during the war years.
  • Poppies also symbolise universal remembrance, particularly on Remembrance Day.
Members, have you experienced or witnessed a heartwarming act such as the one captured on Remembrance Day in Melbourne?

Share your stories of kindness and respect in the comments below!
I see it every year on Anzac Day at the local War Memorial & others when young cadets are involved in an all night vigil at the memorials! These young people don’t all become members of the ADF but they are very proud as cadets!
I come from an army family & my eldest son was in the army for 12 years!
I have always had great respect for our defence force & hope that all Australians know how lucky they are to be living in this peaceful country thanks to many who made the ultimate sacrifice so that they can!
LEST WE FORGET

What a wonderful gesture! Why don’t more people do that today!
I remember as a child, if I was walking down street with my mother, if a funeral cortège passed by, we would stop & bow our heads/cross ourselves/ take off hats & just stand as a mark of respect! Where has respect like that gone? Are we either ignorant, too busy or just don’t give a toss any more!!??
Methinks all of the above combined, sadly!!
Be interesting to observe this Anzac Day & Rememberance Day what happens given our world is in terrible conflict in many places at the moment!
LEST WE FORGET✝️