Heartbreaking news: Iconic TV comedian and impersonator Mike Yarwood passes away at 82

It is with a heavy heart that we here at the Seniors Discount Club share the news of the passing of comedy legend Mike Yarwood on Friday, the 8th of September.

Yarwood, 82 at the time of his passing, was one of the biggest TV stars of the 1960s and 70s who left an immeasurable legacy of his laughter and remarkable impersonations for all to remember him by.

Some of his most famous impressions included former British prime ministers Harold Wilson and Ted Heath, Prince Charles and the late football manager Brian Clough.

One of his shows, The Mike Yarwood Show in 1977, had recorded a staggering 21.4 million viewers, one of the largest single Christmas Day audiences for a British TV programme.

Screenshot 2023-09-11 073816.png
TV comedian and impersonator Mike Yarwood passed away at 82. Credit: @Classicbritcom/X (Twitter)

Yarwoord was born in Bredbury, Greater Manchester, on June 14, 1941, and was a lifelong supporter of the Stockport County football club. He once mentioned that he was just six when he made his first impression. He stuffed a cushion up his jumper and put on a pair of glasses to mimic Billy Bunter.

When asked how he could replicate the personalities of those he impersonated so well, he simply replied: 'If I see somebody become famous and they’ve got tremendously predominant mannerisms and they speak a certain way which is unusual, I go for it right away.'

In his later years, he was a resident at the Royal Variety Charity’s Brinsworth House in Twickenham, South West London. They announced his passing on a social media post.

They wrote: ‘We are deeply saddened to announce the passing of the legendary comedian and impersonator, #MikeYarwood, OBE. Mike leaves behind an immeasurable void in the entertainment industry. We send our deepest condolences to Mike's family, his many friends and fans. RIP.’

‘Mike’s family have asked that their privacy be respected during this sad and difficult time,’ they added.

Tributes came flooding in from around the industry, with BBC Director General, Tim Davie, expressing his sadness at the news: 'Mike Yarwood was simply one of the greats, part of the golden generation of entertainers that defined television for decades,' he said.

‘From Harold Wilson to Frank Spencer, his legendary impressions were always pin-sharp, warm and funny. We will remember them all with a smile. He was rightly one of Britain’s most loved performers and will be hugely missed. Our thoughts are with his family,’ he added.

Others also paid their respects, such as BBC broadcaster Emma Freud, who was lucky enough to have starred in one of Yarwood’s shows as Princess Diana.

'Goodbye Mr Mike Yarwood,' she tweeted. 'Thank you for casting me in your shows as Princess Diana. Still incomprehensible to me that it happened, but you were lovely to work with.'

Fans have also expressed their loss on social media. One person stated: ‘So sad to hear, I loved watching Mike on his fabulous shows.’

‘I grew up watching Mike Yarwood in the seventies. He was a fantastic entertainer and impressionist. Sincere condolences to his family at this very sad time,’ another fan said.

A third social media user wrote, ‘Another of the greats has gone. A sad loss to the industry.’

Mike is survived by his wife Emie, whom he married in 1971, and four children, Anita, Caroline, Vicki and Ben.

You can watch some of Mike Yarwood’s best work here:

Key Takeaways
  • Television comedian and impersonator Mike Yarwood has passed away at 82.
  • He was one of the biggest TV stars of the 1960s and 70s and was renowned for his impressions of public figures, including former prime ministers, Prince Charles and the late football manager Brian Clough.
  • His show, The Mike Yarwood Show, drew one of the largest single Christmas Day audiences ever for a British TV programme.
  • Tributes from figures in the entertainment industry and fans have been pouring in, highlighting his influence and role as an icon in the comedy world.

We send our sympathy and condolences to everyone affected by Mike's passing and thank him for years of providing laughter and joy to those who watched him perform. Rest in peace.

Sponsored
I've heard the name, but that's about it. Didn't have much impact here.

never heard of him & I'm a child of the golden age of TV 60's & 70's, granted he'd have never heard of me, but doubt I'll get any focus of attention on a site that caters to the Seniors.

There's no real point to this article unless you're from the UK. Used to watch him a lot in the 70's when I lived there and he was very good.

Reactions: Ejt and Ricki
It is with a heavy heart that we here at the Seniors Discount Club share the news of the passing of comedy legend Mike Yarwood on Friday, the 8th of September.

Yarwood, 82 at the time of his passing, was one of the biggest TV stars of the 1960s and 70s who left an immeasurable legacy of his laughter and remarkable impersonations for all to remember him by.

Some of his most famous impressions included former British prime ministers Harold Wilson and Ted Heath, Prince Charles and the late football manager Brian Clough.

One of his shows, The Mike Yarwood Show in 1977, had recorded a staggering 21.4 million viewers, one of the largest single Christmas Day audiences for a British TV programme.

View attachment 29580
TV comedian and impersonator Mike Yarwood passed away at 82. Credit: @Classicbritcom/X (Twitter)

Yarwoord was born in Bredbury, Greater Manchester, on June 14, 1941, and was a lifelong supporter of the Stockport County football club. He once mentioned that he was just six when he made his first impression. He stuffed a cushion up his jumper and put on a pair of glasses to mimic Billy Bunter.

When asked how he could replicate the personalities of those he impersonated so well, he simply replied: 'If I see somebody become famous and they’ve got tremendously predominant mannerisms and they speak a certain way which is unusual, I go for it right away.'

In his later years, he was a resident at the Royal Variety Charity’s Brinsworth House in Twickenham, South West London. They announced his passing on a social media post.

They wrote: ‘We are deeply saddened to announce the passing of the legendary comedian and impersonator, #MikeYarwood, OBE. Mike leaves behind an immeasurable void in the entertainment industry. We send our deepest condolences to Mike's family, his many friends and fans. RIP.’

‘Mike’s family have asked that their privacy be respected during this sad and difficult time,’ they added.

Tributes came flooding in from around the industry, with BBC Director General, Tim Davie, expressing his sadness at the news: 'Mike Yarwood was simply one of the greats, part of the golden generation of entertainers that defined television for decades,' he said.

‘From Harold Wilson to Frank Spencer, his legendary impressions were always pin-sharp, warm and funny. We will remember them all with a smile. He was rightly one of Britain’s most loved performers and will be hugely missed. Our thoughts are with his family,’ he added.

Others also paid their respects, such as BBC broadcaster Emma Freud, who was lucky enough to have starred in one of Yarwood’s shows as Princess Diana.

'Goodbye Mr Mike Yarwood,' she tweeted. 'Thank you for casting me in your shows as Princess Diana. Still incomprehensible to me that it happened, but you were lovely to work with.'

Fans have also expressed their loss on social media. One person stated: ‘So sad to hear, I loved watching Mike on his fabulous shows.’

‘I grew up watching Mike Yarwood in the seventies. He was a fantastic entertainer and impressionist. Sincere condolences to his family at this very sad time,’ another fan said.

A third social media user wrote, ‘Another of the greats has gone. A sad loss to the industry.’

Mike is survived by his wife Emie, whom he married in 1971, and four children, Anita, Caroline, Vicki and Ben.

You can watch some of Mike Yarwood’s best work here:

Key Takeaways

• Television comedian and impersonator Mike Yarwood has passed away at 82.
  • He was one of the biggest TV stars of the 1960s and 70s and was renowned for his impressions of public figures, including former prime ministers, Prince Charles and the late football manager Brian Clough.
  • His show, The Mike Yarwood Show, drew one of the largest single Christmas Day audiences ever for a British TV programme.
  • Tributes from figures in the entertainment industry and fans have been pouring in, highlighting his influence and role as an icon in the comedy world.

We send our sympathy and condolences to everyone affected by Mike's passing and thank him for years of providing laughter and joy to those who watched him perform. Rest in peace.

So many of the stars I remember from my teens in England seem to be dying lately. Mike Yarwood was particularly good and I know so many people will miss his humour. Vale Mike.

I grew up watching Mike Yarwood with Mum and Dad, especially at Xmas time. He was so funny and entertaining. I just watched the video clip, it brought back so many memories. Thank you so much 💓