Heartbreaking news as cricket legend Glenn McGrath grieves the loss of his beloved father, Kevin

Legendary cricket player Glenn McGrath, who is considered one of the world’s most decorated bowlers in the history of ODI World Cups, has been dealt a heartbreaking blow.

Earlier this week, the McGrath family announced that Kevin James McGrath, father of Glenn McGrath, had passed away.

Glenn’s wife, Sara, shared the sad news in a social media post on Wednesday, revealing that Kevin McGrath lost his battle with an illness.

‘It is with a heavy heart that we announce the passing of my beloved father-in-law, Kevin James McGrath,’ she wrote in her post.

‘He was a great dad, husband, grandfather, great grandfather, uncle and friend. He was compassionate, humble, caring and certainly always there when you needed him.’

cricket1.jpg
The father of Australian cricket legend Glenn McGrath has passed away following a battle with illness. Credit: Jurie Maree

She continued her tribute: ‘He was a man of the land, tough as they come, whose greatest pleasure was every day waking up looking forward to working on his wheat and sheep farm. A gentleman in every way.’

Sara went on to say that when she first arrived in Australia, she only knew one person, and that was her husband. However, she recalled how Kevin welcomed her ‘with open arms and heart’.

‘He was the best father-in-law I could have ever wished for,’ she said.

Sara also mentioned that in the last few months of Kevin’s life, she had the privilege of repaying the love he had shown her since they met.

‘He will be thoroughly missed, but at the same time, we are at peace that he is no longer suffering,’ she admitted and uploaded a photo of Kevin alongside her heartfelt message.

‘Love u, Kev.’

cricket2.jpg
The McGrath family is mourning the loss of their patriarch, Kevin McGrath. Credit: Saraleonmcgrath/Instagram

Messages of support and love flooded Sara’s comments section.

Olympic gold medallist Kerri Pottharst commented: ‘I’m so sorry to hear. Sending massive love and hugs to all the family xx.’

The McGrath Foundation’s official social media account also responded to Sara’s tribute, saying, ‘We are so incredibly sorry for your loss, and our thoughts are with you, Glenn and your entire family. Kev was a true gentleman.’

‘A privilege to have known him, a true gentleman. My thoughts are with you all,’ Tracy Bevan, the McGrath Foundation Ambassador and Director, said. She was also the best friend of Jane McGrath, Glenn’s late first wife.

Kevin is originally from Narromine, in New South Wales. He was raised on a family farm, which had a barn nicknamed ‘pigeon’. This is also where he raised Glenn and the rest of his children.

That nickname would later be passed on to Glenn, who is now considered one of Australia’s greatest fast bowlers and regarded as one of the world’s best.

However, the nickname was actually given to Glenn by his teammate Brad McNamara, who once joked that he had ‘stolen a pigeon’s leg’.

Glenn – who had a strong bond with his father – moved to the city before his cricket debut in the 1990s. He debuted for Australia in 1993.

Glenn retired after 124 Tests, 250 ODIs, and two T20Is, with a record of 563 wickets at an average of 21.64. It’s said that this record has only been beaten by Englishmen Jimmy Anderson and Stuart Broad. He also took 381 One Day International wickets.

He’s also had to deal with a personal tragedy before, when he lost his first wife, Jane, to breast cancer in 2008. This loss was what inspired Sydney’s Pink Test, which raises money for the McGrath Foundation – a charity organisation created in honour of Jane.

The Pink Tests and the McGrath Foundation have been successful in raising funds for breast cancer awareness since their beginning, with this year’s donations reaching a jaw-dropping $3 million.

Key Takeaways
  • The father of Australian cricket legend Glenn McGrath, Kevin McGrath, has passed away.
  • Glenn McGrath was raised on the family farm and is considered one of the finest fast bowlers in the world, with 563 Test wickets and 381 One Day International wickets.
  • Glenn lost his former wife, Jane, to breast cancer in 2008, which inspired Sydney's Pink Test and the establishment of the McGrath Foundation.
  • The McGrath Foundation and the Pink Tests have successfully raised funds for breast cancer, with this year's donations reaching $3 million.
We would like to send our deepest condolences to Glenn, Sara and the wider McGrath family and friends at this difficult time. We are sure Kevin will be remembered for the incredible family man and great supporter of the Australian cricket scene that he was.

Sponsored
Legendary cricket player Glenn McGrath, who is considered one of the world’s most decorated bowlers in the history of ODI World Cups, has been dealt a heartbreaking blow.

Earlier this week, the McGrath family announced that Kevin James McGrath, father of Glenn McGrath, had passed away.

Glenn’s wife, Sara, shared the sad news in a social media post on Wednesday, revealing that Kevin McGrath lost his battle with an illness.

‘It is with a heavy heart that we announce the passing of my beloved father-in-law, Kevin James McGrath,’ she wrote in her post.

‘He was a great dad, husband, grandfather, great grandfather, uncle and friend. He was compassionate, humble, caring and certainly always there when you needed him.’

View attachment 19537
The father of Australian cricket legend Glenn McGrath has passed away following a battle with illness. Credit: Jurie Maree

She continued her tribute: ‘He was a man of the land, tough as they come, whose greatest pleasure was every day waking up looking forward to working on his wheat and sheep farm. A gentleman in every way.’

Sara went on to say that when she first arrived in Australia, she only knew one person, and that was her husband. However, she recalled how Kevin welcomed her ‘with open arms and heart’.

‘He was the best father-in-law I could have ever wished for,’ she said.

Sara also mentioned that in the last few months of Kevin’s life, she had the privilege of repaying the love he had shown her since they met.

‘He will be thoroughly missed, but at the same time, we are at peace that he is no longer suffering,’ she admitted and uploaded a photo of Kevin alongside her heartfelt message.

‘Love u, Kev.’

View attachment 19538
The McGrath family is mourning the loss of their patriarch, Kevin McGrath. Credit: Saraleonmcgrath/Instagram

Messages of support and love flooded Sara’s comments section.

Olympic gold medallist Kerri Pottharst commented: ‘I’m so sorry to hear. Sending massive love and hugs to all the family xx.’

The McGrath Foundation’s official social media account also responded to Sara’s tribute, saying, ‘We are so incredibly sorry for your loss, and our thoughts are with you, Glenn and your entire family. Kev was a true gentleman.’

‘A privilege to have known him, a true gentleman. My thoughts are with you all,’ Tracy Bevan, the McGrath Foundation Ambassador and Director, said. She was also the best friend of Jane McGrath, Glenn’s late first wife.

Kevin is originally from Narromine, in New South Wales. He was raised on a family farm, which had a barn nicknamed ‘pigeon’. This is also where he raised Glenn and the rest of his children.

That nickname would later be passed on to Glenn, who is now considered one of Australia’s greatest fast bowlers and regarded as one of the world’s best.

However, the nickname was actually given to Glenn by his teammate Brad McNamara, who once joked that he had ‘stolen a pigeon’s leg’.

Glenn – who had a strong bond with his father – moved to the city before his cricket debut in the 1990s. He debuted for Australia in 1993.

Glenn retired after 124 Tests, 250 ODIs, and two T20Is, with a record of 563 wickets at an average of 21.64. It’s said that this record has only been beaten by Englishmen Jimmy Anderson and Stuart Broad. He also took 381 One Day International wickets.

He’s also had to deal with a personal tragedy before, when he lost his first wife, Jane, to breast cancer in 2008. This loss was what inspired Sydney’s Pink Test, which raises money for the McGrath Foundation – a charity organisation created in honour of Jane.

The Pink Tests and the McGrath Foundation have been successful in raising funds for breast cancer awareness since their beginning, with this year’s donations reaching a jaw-dropping $3 million.

Key Takeaways

• The father of Australian cricket legend Glenn McGrath, Kevin McGrath, has passed away.
  • Glenn McGrath was raised on the family farm and is considered one of the finest fast bowlers in the world, with 563 Test wickets and 381 One Day International wickets.
  • Glenn lost his former wife, Jane, to breast cancer in 2008, which inspired Sydney's Pink Test and the establishment of the McGrath Foundation.
  • The McGrath Foundation and the Pink Tests have successfully raised funds for breast cancer, with this year's donations reaching $3 million.
We would like to send our deepest condolences to Glenn, Sara and the wider McGrath family and friends at this difficult time. We are sure Kevin will be remembered for the incredible family man and great supporter of the Australian cricket scene that he was.
hugs to the McGrath family. Glenn is one of the best.

I don't like to say it but I've heard that Glenn gets a percentage of the donations. Making money from his first wife's passing. All the people setting up fund raising companies, are just that. Companies. It means that monies go to run it and people at the top like Glenn make money. For Glenn, even more money.

Making a news statement that his father has passed away is someone trying to stay in the media. Get attention from as many as he can get it. It's the actions of a narcissus. Why people 'some' well known people have to release media statements about a family member passing away. People pass away. That's a fact of life and I, you and everyone you know and don't know will pass away and cease to exist.

I and many of us, if not everyone in this group know what he is going through. Some people have seen one of their own children pass away, some a grandchildren. Some, more lost suddenly.

I lost all respect for him and others 'exactly like him' that supposedly state that they support charity but only in fact never donate but get paid very well from these types of fund raiser companies.

If he was truly HONEST and that means was respectful as well and never took a cent from The McGrath Foundation (Pink) Foundation then he would have my respect. He is one of many and only in it for the money. Another indicator is that the Foundation is in his name McGrath and not his wife's name. Shouldn't it be The Jane Foundation.

I don't like to say it but I've heard that Glenn gets a percentage of the donations. Making money from his first wife's passing. All the people setting up fund raising companies, are just that. Companies. It means that monies go to run it and people at the top like Glenn make money. For Glenn, even more money.

Making a news statement that his father has passed away is someone trying to stay in the media. Get attention from as many as he can get it. It's the actions of a narcissus. Why people 'some' well known people have to release media statements about a family member passing away. People pass away. That's a fact of life and I, you and everyone you know and don't know will pass away and cease to exist.

I and many of us, if not everyone in this group know what he is going through. Some people have seen one of their own children pass away, some a grandchildren. Some, more lost suddenly.

I lost all respect for him and others 'exactly like him' that supposedly state that they support charity but only in fact never donate but get paid very well from these types of fund raiser companies.

If he was truly HONEST and that means was respectful as well and never took a cent from The McGrath Foundation (Pink) Foundation then he would have my respect. He is one of many and only in it for the money. Another indicator is that the Foundation is in his name McGrath and not his wife's name. Shouldn't it be The Jane Foundation.
why?

I help organised a charity event for the mcgrath foundation years ago . I had a lot to do with Tracy Bevan and they worked hard to get breastcare nurses out to those women who had just had breast surgery.
The foundation is the McGrath Foundation and Jane's name is everywhere .

The McGrath Foundation was happy to disclose how it spent donor dollars. Ms Tink said it spent 78¢ in every dollar ''realising its mission' which are the breastcare 'nurse's, 15¢ on everyday costs, and 7¢ on fund-raising.

I know someone pretty high who knows Glen and he speaks nothing but high regards.
If he was cheating people then cricket Australia wouldn't be behind the pink day.

Also anything over $2 in donations are tax deductible and the tax man would catch the foundation out just by this.

I've seen nothing but major growth in the number of breast care nurse's over the years

The charities I stay away from are the likes of world vision and help the children's fund. They are lucky to see 10c in every dollar donated

Reactions: Ezzy
The McGrath foundation received $3.5 million in government grants last year, with total income $8.5 million. They provided $3 million.
This is all disclosed in their annual report.

Good question. Because they are use his name. It's the exact same thing when others set-up charity funds to raise money for charity using a family member's name. They get money as well. He and his late wife Jane were the founders. It was a way to earn 'extra money' for each of them. More income and now it's Glenn McGrath. He is also on ALL the many board of directors. All six of them.

Reactions: Ezzy
The statement from MindyMac was '.......l have heard...'. Such words amount to HEARSAY without proof. This is how rumours start.

I feel the timing of a statement like this is in poor taste given the fact Glenn McGrath's father has just died.
There may or may not be truth in this statement but please save this for another occassion without saying, 'l have heard'.

The statement from MindyMac was '.......l have heard...'. Such words amount to HEARSAY without proof. This is how rumours start.

I feel the timing of a statement like this is in poor taste given the fact Glenn McGrath's father has just died.
There may or may not be truth in this statement but please save this for another occassion without saying, 'l have heard'.
How is it always heart breaking when a person passes away from being old. People 'finally' pass away. Both my parents have passed away and one brother and last year his son passed away. Heart breaking if it's from a tragic accident, a baby, a young child or teenager, because of terrorism, because of war, because of an evil person that did it to that person. That's heart breaking. Someone that has pretty much lived a full life, even made it to their 60's and beyond that can count themselves Pretty Lucky. I'm in my 60's and I certainly do not expect, nor do I want to live to old age, nor very old age. It happens to every single person. We lost a young nephew last year, suddenly. That was my late brother's son. That's sad and yes it was indeed tragic circumstances. The young people that came face to face with someone like Ivan Milat. That's tragic. This Glenn McGrath and others like him are after media attention. Decent people stay silent and they do not make media statements were other 'always do' so that they ensure that they get media attention. I respect those people that keep their silence and have never respected people that always seek media attention and using circumstances exactly like this to keep their name in the media.

How is it always heart breaking when a person passes away from being old. People 'finally' pass away. Both my parents have passed away and one brother and last year his son passed away. Heart breaking if it's from a tragic accident, a baby, a young child or teenager, because of terrorism, because of war, because of an evil person that did it to that person. That's heart breaking. Someone that has pretty much lived a full life, even made it to their 60's and beyond that can count themselves Pretty Lucky. I'm in my 60's and I certainly do not expect, nor do I want to live to old age, nor very old age. It happens to every single person. We lost a young nephew last year, suddenly. That was my late brother's son. That's sad and yes it was indeed tragic circumstances. The young people that came face to face with someone like Ivan Milat. That's tragic. This Glenn McGrath and others like him are after media attention. Decent people stay silent and they do not make media statements were other 'always do' so that they ensure that they get media attention. I respect those people that keep their silence and have never respected people that always seek media attention and using circumstances exactly like this to keep their name in the media.
With respect, it wasn't Glenn himself who announced his father's death so l can't see how he himself is seeking media attention.

Correct that well know figures air the fact that they have suffered a loss, so what? No big deal as some people will choose to ignore this anyway. The first my family knew about Glenn's father is when l read it here & told them. Not sure where this fact appeared as news prior to this. Yes we know how his family feels & those folk who care about his past loss & care can sympathize with his family. If he wasn't doing good for cancer l am sure people could raise a rumpus.

Death of a loved one can be distressing but l didn't see anything in the main article about this being tragic so l fail to understand why this word was used. My mother died of cancer, my father committed suicide, my sister died of a brain aneurysm more than 15 years ago & she is 5 years younger than me (l am 71), a cousin was killed in Vietnam & his young brother & girlfriend died of carbon monoxide poisoning & l could go on & on, but what's the point?

How would you define news of the death of QUEEN ELIZABETH 11 who was a dignitary & was well promoted?

Is the announcement from his wife a means of obtaining media attention or is this to say, 'Glenn may be out of the media for a while as he & his family digest this loss, sort themselves out & possibly sort out Dad's estate?

Best to ask yourself, 'Is this announcement causing harm to me physically, financially or mentally'. If not, why make a song & dance about it?
Is this sort of attention to this subject perhaps a bit like giving it the same attention as the media you spoke of?

The foundation won't benefit him but all ladies. You have stated that you 'have heard' & 'supposedly support'. Supporting such a charity does not mean donating to this, does it? Support also includes promoting, which Glenn does. No organisation runs on love but can receive Grants to support certain aspects of their operation & are normally not easy to obtain requiring much paperwork & time by applicants.

Reactions: Suzanne rose