SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

April Bradford

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2022
Heart disease risk: your snacking habits may be to blame

As we age, it's important to be mindful of our risk of developing heart disease – even if it doesn't historically run in our families.

Your genes, age, sex and environment all play a role in your risk of having heart disease. But experts say that your diet and lifestyle choices have a significant impact too. This is because they can affect several key risk factors related to heart disease, such as blood pressure, diabetes and cholesterol levels.

One area you can focus on if you're looking to adopt healthy eating habits that will reduce your risk of heart disease is your snacking habits throughout the day.

To learn more about this topic, we’ve compiled the advice of expert dietitians who have shared some sneaky snacking habits that may be putting you at greater risk. Here are the top answers:

Eating too many sugary snacks:

Added sugar has long been linked with an increased risk of heart disease. So if you find yourself snacking on lollies or other sweet treats regularly throughout the day without getting any protein or fibre along with it (which help regulate blood sugar), this could cause problems down the line according to Lisa Young PhD, author of Finally Full Finally Slim. Spikes in blood sugar levels over time can lead to hyperglycemia (high blood sugar), which is a known risk factor for heart disease.

A recent study published in The Journal Of The American College Of Cardiology found that diets high in ultra-processed foods (foods made mostly from fats, added sugars, and refined carbs) increase your cardiovascular risks, and this further increased with each additional serving per day.

lJ0uL1Sv1MUukhJoXDZ3dVOWTH6JLjygSa4F9dm6kFxlynrOjZrsSUD2w5qQZy8HSEOkhwL2jsgQ5BWc2gZAI1JgZTsXyOEec8jrxvdkjxbDvGBjz_3Zl_8BOUhO2JvQogPcIBaTIwcW9qMDBWprrZ08uiN3CwclSg_Z95rVQ804nzqJ09IDFO8nsQ

Always reaching for sweets? You might want to think again. Image Credit: Pexels

Eating too many salty snacks:

On the other end of the spectrum, consuming foods high in sodium has been linked with hypertension (high blood pressure) which is a known contributor to developing heart disease. So try to limit how often you eat chips, pretzels, popcorn etc.

This one was hard to hear as I have an avid ‘salty tooth’.

Not snacking:

Some people think fasting between meals is the healthiest option, however, going long hours without food between meals can leave you in a cycle of hunger as well as make it difficult to remain present during mealtimes when you actually sit down.

This type of restriction may also lead to bingeing unhealthy snacks once finally getting to eat later on.

fOHOrGl2EqN5oRpKNqHX1DSBz-PjUCWulGz6YyRDbb8NZo2I2PA4pyV6XlboN6h3ordrcWj-gvFz8E_czntqMif0_ANuE6kAjxDsnKHR4U9fD76yUQN7U402V7QnpCK19ZhJftZx3sUpSgs8vkVKPS72arucvc0a0bZDZ_0xGOk-gbd26RhD-c09bg

Counting down the hours until your next meal? It’s okay (and even recommended) to snack if you’re hungry. Image Credit: Pexels

Not reaching for healthier options:

According To Dr Young, consuming processed junk food can easily lead to weight gain and obesity – both major risk factors when it comes to heart disease.

Healthy snacks provide our bodies with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fibre required to maintain optimum health and prevent serious diseases like cancer, stroke, heart trouble, and diabetes.

Trista Best MPH RD LD warns regular consumption of baked goods contributes to increased levels of cholesterol. She adds that the use of processed oils, gluten and dairy are often connected to cardiovascular risks like strokes.

A life without baked goods doesn’t sound too fun to me, but I’ll certainly be cutting down after hearing all this advice.

So for any members who like to snack, it’s certainly not the end of the world. But like all things, moderation is the key.

Stay safe, members, and if you’re in any doubt at all - we encourage you to book an appointment with your GP. As always, we need to point out that we’re not doctors, and nothing in this article should be construed as medical advice, so if you have concerns, talk to a medical professional.

What’s your favourite healthy snack? Or the one you LOVE but eat in moderatio

Once again the experts focus on what people eat (cause they can label it) and not how people eat, which is behaviour and habit. The type of food is irrelevant, its how often and when it is consumed that are the issues.

I once told my GP l was on a see food diet.
(misunderstanding) He said, 'seafood diet, that is food for you.'
l replied, 'No, see food & eat it'. Don't think he was happy.

• Haha
Reactions: April Bradford
Well, last night I was very good and put the packet of salt and vinegar chips away when I had eaten just half of the packet. I was very proud of myself.
Not sure if I will be good tonight or if I will finish off the packet !!!!