Health officials issue alert after monkeypox outbreak in this state

In a recent development that has caught the attention of South Australians, health officials have issued a critical update regarding the emergence of three cases of mpox, formerly known as monkeypox, in the state.

This marks the first time the virus has been detected locally since 2022, raising public health and safety concerns.

The three individuals diagnosed with mpox include men in their 20s, 30s, and 50s.

Despite the understandable concern this news may bring, health authorities are reassuring the public that the risk of widespread transmission remains low.

shutterstock_2178275293.jpg
South Australia issued an alert after three cases of monkeypox were found in the area. Credit: Shutterstock

Mpox typically requires prolonged, close, or intimate contact for transmission, which means casual contact is less likely to result in the spread of the virus.

In 2022, South Australia had no reported cases of mpox, and only two cases were recorded during the global outbreak.

However, the situation has evolved in 2024, with the country witnessing 67 cases, 45 of which were reported in Victoria.

The renaming of monkeypox to mpox was a step to address concerns about stigmatisation and racism associated with the original name.

Mpox is a viral infection characterised by a distinctive rash and symptoms such as fever, chills, exhaustion, headache, muscle aches, backache, and swollen lymph nodes.

These symptoms can manifest up to 21 days after exposure, and the virus can be transmitted through skin-to-skin contact, contaminated items, or respiratory droplets.

An mpox vaccination is available and is being offered for free to eligible groups, including all sexually active gay, bisexual men, or men who have sex with men.

Dr Louise Flood, Deputy Director of the Communicable Disease Control Branch, urged those who are eligible to take advantage of the vaccine to protect themselves and others.

‘The Risk to the public is low. Mpox is not easily transmitted from person to person without prolonged close or intimate contact,’ she said.

‘If you do think you have mpox, seek medical advice and get tested.’

Mpox is a zoonosis, a disease that can be transmitted from animals to humans.

While it is typically associated with tropical rainforest areas of Central and West Africa, there is currently no evidence of animal-to-human transmission in Australia.

The disease is mainly spread through direct contact with infected body fluids, lesions, or respiratory droplets.

During the 2022 outbreak, a significant number of cases affected men who were sexually active with other men.

While most cases of mpox are mild and can be managed with over-the-counter treatments like paracetamol and hydration, individuals who are immunocompromised may be at greater risk of serious complications.
Key Takeaways
  • South Australia has reported three locally acquired cases of mpox (formerly known as monkeypox), marking the first occurrences in the state since 2022.
  • Health officials have emphasised that the risk to the general public is low, as mpox transmission usually requires prolonged, close or intimate contact.
  • An mpox vaccination is available, and free vaccines are being offered to eligible individuals, including all sexually active gay, bisexual, or men who have sex with men.
  • Mpox is a zoonotic virus typically spread to humans from animals, but there is currently no evidence of animal-to-human transmission in Australia; the disease can also be spread through direct contact with infected body fluids, lesions, or respiratory droplets.
Have you or someone you know been affected by the mpox outbreak? What measures are you taking to stay safe? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Oh the hype! Quick everyone. Go and get your vaccine!
And don't forget about the bird flu. Make sure you get that vaccine, too!
(fast forward to 13:00 min mark)

Reactions: ice.creeme
The renaming of monkeypox to mpox was a step to address concerns about stigmatisation and racism associated with the original name.

How stupid is that?!? Chickenpox isn’t called cpox. Political “correctness” is so pathetic. Why can’t we get back to real life?

How stupid is that?!? Chickenpox isn’t called cpox. Political “correctness” is so pathetic. Why can’t we get back to real life?
Stupid? Pathetic?
Interesting pick-up from the article explaining symptoms, risks and origin of the disease called mpox (formerly monkeypox).

Stigmatisation: people do like to weaponise to cause fear, stigma, and even to justify racism.

Many conditions and viruses have been renamed over the years for these reasons.

The WHO has warned that the use of people and place names has "unintended negative impacts," which could have "serious consequences for people's lives and livelihoods." I can see merit in limiting some people's inclination to weaponise.
'Idiots', 'lunatics', and the insane were locked up in so-called "lunatic asylums." Language can be nasty, as can people.
Eg: Idiot savant: Developmentally delayed and exceptionally talented, often inaccurately referred to as autistic - retarded: developmentally or cognitively delayed…neurodivergent seems like a better term, yeah?

It has been reported that the new names evoke less prejudice, improve communication between clinicians and patients, and promote social integration. Examining the past shows that avoiding stigmatisation was not of primary importance in dealing with large outbreaks of disease. Rather, the search for scapegoats took precedence. Therefore, name changes seem necessary, considering humans like to find a way to justify prejudices - just my observation. Doing nothing about stigma and discrimination that follows it is no longer an acceptable option.

Stupid? Pathetic?
Interesting pick-up from the article explaining symptoms, risks and origin of the disease called mpox (formerly monkeypox).

Stigmatisation: people do like to weaponise to cause fear, stigma, and even to justify racism.

Many conditions and viruses have been renamed over the years for these reasons.

The WHO has warned that the use of people and place names has "unintended negative impacts," which could have "serious consequences for people's lives and livelihoods." I can see merit in limiting some people's inclination to weaponise.
'Idiots', 'lunatics', and the insane were locked up in so-called "lunatic asylums." Language can be nasty, as can people.
Eg: Idiot savant: Developmentally delayed and exceptionally talented, often inaccurately referred to as autistic - retarded: developmentally or cognitively delayed…neurodivergent seems like a better term, yeah?

It has been reported that the new names evoke less prejudice, improve communication between clinicians and patients, and promote social integration. Examining the past shows that avoiding stigmatisation was not of primary importance in dealing with large outbreaks of disease. Rather, the search for scapegoats took precedence. Therefore, name changes seem necessary, considering humans like to find a way to justify prejudices - just my observation. Doing nothing about stigma and discrimination that follows it is no longer an acceptable option.
I stand by what I believe.

I also don’t give credence to the World Health Organisation. They’ve already proven the damage and hysteria they did with Covid19. So that is a moot argument.

It appears you’ve missed my point or just don’t understand. The difference in the renaming of a disease, cheese, lollies, kids books, and many other things is quite different to people being labeled inappropriately. Changing the name of things doesn’t change them. People are another matter. To suggest a person is stigmatised because of the name of a disease they may be afflicted with is ludicrous.

The whole political correctness is so out of hand and looks like no end. I live with it because that is what society has become. But I don’t have to believe in it.

You and I won’t agree, so I’m just leaving it at that.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
I stand by what I believe.

I also don’t give credence to the World Health Organisation. They’ve already proven the damage and hysteria they did with Covid19. So that is a moot argument.

It appears you’ve missed my point or just don’t understand. The difference in the renaming of a disease, cheese, lollies, kids books, and many other things is quite different to people being labeled inappropriately. Changing the name of things doesn’t change them. People are another matter. To suggest a person is stigmatised because of the name of a disease they may be afflicted with is ludicrous.

The whole political correctness is so out of hand and looks like no end. I live with it because that is what society has become. But I don’t have to believe in it.

You and I won’t agree, so I’m just leaving it at that.
LOL Fair enough, however "It appears you’ve missed my point or just don’t understand" - I most certainly did not miss your point and I most certainly do understand.

Reactions: DLHM
Prime examples of "political correctness" gone mad.
  • Coon Cheese changed to Cheer Cheese.
  • Fags lolly cigarettes changed to Fads.
  • Samboy chips wiped off the market yet? Sambo means nigger in Spanish..
  • Now Monkeypox is replaced by Mpox.
  • Nestles Redskin lollies name are being changed. How many North American Indians reside in Australia?
  • When will Sydney's Blacktown be renamed "Absence Of Light Town"?
  • When will the African country Niger be renamed?
  • The New Zealand, Super Rugby club The Crusaders were demanded a name change in wake of the 2019 Christchurch mosque shootings. They rightly dismissed the demand.
In the face of all this, the Australia's Race Discrimination Commissioner is named Chin Tan.

• Nestles Redskin lollies name are being changed. How many North American Indians reside in Australia?
  • The New Zealand, Super Rugby club The Crusaders were demanded a name change in wake of the 2019 Christchurch mosque shootings. They rightly dismissed the demand.
In the face of all this, the Australia's Race Discrimination Commissioner is named Chin Tan.
I understand that it is a shame that this must occur however it is a result of racist people continuing to voice their racism - causing harm and offence.

This must have been instigated by those who are sympathetic towards African or South Pacific Islander gay and bisexual males?

Total load of rubbish in my view.

If you play in the sewer, you are bound to catch a disease....

You can add Golliwogs to the list. My mother made me a Golliwog when I was little, and it was my favourite. Not allowed to call that name anymore.

You can add Golliwogs to the list. My mother made me a Golliwog when I was little, and it was my favourite. Not allowed to call that name anymore.
Reminds me of Enid Blyton's childrens books being torn to shreds by the ridiculous do-gooder faction of our society. Get rid of "shut up, queer, gay and brown" to name a few. Who is kidding here?

Meanwhile, we have gratuitous and real violence inhabiting all sorts media, including film, television, printed media, the internet (mainly through social media) and news.

These politically correct imbeciles have nothing better to do than bark at the wind!

Reminds me of Enid Blyton's childrens books being torn to shreds by the ridiculous do-gooder faction of our society. Get rid of "shut up, queer, gay and brown" to name a few. Who is kidding here?

Meanwhile, we have gratuitous and real violence inhabiting all sorts media, including film, television, printed media, the internet (mainly through social media) and news.

These politically correct imbeciles have nothing better to do than bark at the wind!
Absolutely!

Reactions: Rob44
"The renaming of monkeypox to mpox was a step to address concerns about stigmatisation and racism associated with the original name".

Ye Gods! Another load of fuzzy-wuzzy political correctitude! Are monkeys a race these days; I thought that they, like H sapiens, were a species of mammal.

Oh, fuzzy-wuzzy; is that not racist these days? It means confused and out-of-focus. I have stopped using the word "golly" as it is part of iwog................. Apologies to all golliwogs such as used to appear in those Noddy books. Oh; they are politically incorrect as well. I forget. Golly-gosh!

Reactions: Penny4

This must have been instigated by those who are sympathetic towards African or South Pacific Islander gay and bisexual males?

Total load of rubbish in my view.

If you play in the sewer, you are bound to catch a disease....
I thought said males were members of the Homo sapiens species and were not monkeys. Would this political correctitude and bowdlerisation of the English language have me think otherwise?

We continue to allow blatant racists to torment and drop bombs on Palestinians..................

The sad fact is the Coon cheese founder was a Mr Edward Coon. So the name was perfectly legitimate, and yet the name was still unacceptable by some peoples standards.
Yes, and the funny thing is, I used to, sometimes, refer to a block of cheese of any description as Coon cheese with a complete and innocent absence of political correctness or racism. The context of my calling it Coon cheese could be likened to the context of why a lot of Pomgollians call any vacuum cleaner a Hoover.

I think any person who finds that unacceptable can take a running jump at themselves.