Status
Not open for further replies.

Health officials encourage vaccinations ahead of looming flu season

With the leaves changing colours and the air getting cooler, Australians are also seeing signs of a challenging flu season ahead.

Health officials in New South Wales are sounding the alarm, urging residents to take action and get vaccinated as influenza cases are on the rise, with predictions of a particularly severe season looming.

The latest respiratory surveillance report revealed that over 4,700 individuals were diagnosed with the flu in the past month alone—a 16 per cent increase from the same period last year.

Hospital admissions for influenza-like illnesses have surged, with 480 admissions recorded between January 6 and April 2024, nearly doubling the 284 admissions during the same timeframe in 2023.

Screenshot 2024-04-23 094001.png
NSW health officials urged residents to get vaccinated against influenza. Image source: Unsplash

Experts predicted that the upcoming flu season could rival or even surpass the severity of the previous year.

It's estimated that one in three Australians could fall prey to a cold or influenza, a statistic that underscores the importance of preventative measures.

Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant highlighted the alarming trend of more young children facing life-threatening complications from the flu, with an increase in admissions to intensive care units in 2023.

To avert a similar crisis in 2024, Dr Chant is calling on families to prioritise getting their flu shots before the season hits its peak.

‘It is a very quick and easy process to book in with your local doctor or pharmacist who can also administer your Covid-19 vaccine at the same time if recommended,’ he said.

'This simple act can help you and your family stay healthy this winter,' he added.

The call to action is especially urgent for those at higher risk of severe illness, including children aged six months to five years, individuals aged 65 and over, Aboriginal people from six months of age, pregnant women, and those with serious health conditions.

These groups are eligible for a free flu vaccine, available at local GP clinics or pharmacies.

Tip
For more information on the flu vaccine, visit the Department of Health website or call the National Immunisation Hotline at 1800 022 222.

In a concerted effort to bolster community health, NSW Health is also encouraging residents to consider receiving a COVID-19 booster alongside their flu vaccination.

NSW Premier Chris Minns warned that influenza is not only highly contagious but can be life-threatening, particularly for vulnerable populations.

‘Getting the flu jab is the best way to protect yourself and the wider community,’ he said.

Health Minister Ryan Park observed an uptick in virus activity across the country and is advocating for vaccination as a means of self-protection and community responsibility.

The impact of influenza was felt by at least 300,000 Australians in 2023, as the illness spread more freely in the post-COVID-19 pandemic environment.

The nation's cold and flu capitals have been identified, with Newcastle, Liverpool, and Blacktown in NSW topping the list.

The nation’s cold and flu capitals-.jpg

Other areas across Australia, including Southport in Queensland, Hillarys in Western Australia, and Warrnambool in Victoria, are also forecasted to experience high levels of cold and flu symptoms.

Source: 7NEWS Australia/YouTube​

Key Takeaways

• NSW residents are being urged to get vaccinated as cases of influenza spike, with over 4,700 people diagnosed in the past four weeks.
  • Health authorities are particularly concerned about vulnerable groups like young children, older adults, and those with serious health conditions.
  • NSW Health is encouraging residents to get a flu vaccine before the season peaks and to consider a Covid booster at the same time.
  • NSW experienced an increase in influenza hospital admissions, and the upcoming flu season could be as bad as or worse than the previous year. Health officials are urging vaccination as the best protection.
Feel free to share your insights and strategies for staying healthy during flu season in the comments section below. Have you received your flu shot? What steps are you taking to prepare for the colder months?

Last edited:
Sponsored
New member, 5 posts, all on here.
Hallmarks of a troll, having what it calls fun, messing with people.
Not the slightest appearance of wishing to engage other than to push hate into others so they react and it can see that reaction. Best to ignore the sad thing. No responses is best, it's what it craves.
Provocation is ok, when used in the context of a decent, even hot discussion, provided it's backed up with some basic intellect.
It will probably come back in another guise at some stage. Or straight away as the same.... :ROFLMAO:
Yeah your probably right thanks👍
I just hate it when pricks like that pick on vulnerable people makes my blood boil.😊

Reactions: Clancieblue
Over 65, and never had a ‘Flu shot.
After the stage then stage 2 Covid shots, I only did 1 booster then caught Covid - not fun.
But now, I’ve been ill for 3 wks w Acute Bronchitis, which I’ve not had for years.
Thinking I’ll hv to go see a doctor about it, but as a pensioner, I hv to find $115 first to pay them.

Covid test pack all expired 31/1/24. New test packs are hard to find and V expensive.
And the drs will insist that you have a covid test before you see them. Added expense for pensioners again.
I understand doctors need to earn a living but if pensioners can’t get into a decent bulk billing doctor when needed, the doctors should be subsidised for the payments from the government.
They’re continually telling us our seniors are most vulnerable but won’t step up to help them!

Which is why my mental health is as bad as it is. I can’t afford to see anyone, even with the health plan and subsidies. I have to have the money upfront and that’s over $200 just for psychology visits. My medication hasn’t been looked at since 2005 as the psychiatrists the public system offer won’t touch them. One public psychiatrist told me that I didn’t have major depression I just didn’t have a personality!

Great work government

Reactions: Littleboy8
Are you on drugs or drunk,what's with the language , HALFWITS need this to express themselves.
What sewer did this prick crawl out of what an arsewipe👎
Boo hiss to you your parents must be so proud👎
Hey, Clancieblue and Littleboy8, looks like the "sewer" has been cleaned out in pretty quick time. Great work and well done by the sites Moderator😇.
One 🧌down and the 🌞shines once again.

Hey, Clancieblue and Littleboy8, looks like the "sewer" has been cleaned out in pretty quick time. Great work and well done by the sites Moderator😇.
One 🧌down and the 🌞shines once again.
Really yay 😁 let the 🌞 shine in my hearts gladdened.

"If people have the Flu they should stay home and NOT spread it around."

But this is the island of Australia where we don't even bother about the Covid-19 that came into the country via that cruise ship that was allowed to dock in Sydney. It is our democratic right not to stay at home if sick and not to get vaccinated against smallpox.....no, Covid......no, Influenza.......
I remember Polio. My husband’s sister died from it, because her father didn’t believe in vaccination. I had my husband vaccinated when I had our first child vaccinated.

Another 🤡who knows more than the establishment does ❓
Gees hope you get the "shit you won't be doing".
Then all we have to put up with, is your moaning about how "misinformed this 🤡 was"..
Tipsy, no I don't think so, "PLASTERED" yes I'd say!! 🥴
you are not really intelligent are you nimbnuts. But thats ok you go ahead and get your bioweapon jabs as many time as as you like, I wont mind if you get seriously ill as its not my problem

• Haha
Reactions: Da Freddo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seniors Discount Club

The SDC searches for the best deals, discounts, and bargains for Aussies over 60. From everyday expenses like groceries and eating out, to electronics, fashion and travel, the club is all about helping you make your money go further.
  1. New members
  2. Jokes & fun
  3. Photography
  4. Nostalgia / Yesterday's Australia
  5. Food and Lifestyle
  6. Money Saving Hacks
  7. Offtopic / Everything else
  • We believe that retirement should be a time to relax and enjoy life, not worry about money. That's why we're here to help our members make the most of their retirement years. If you're over 60 and looking for ways to save money, connect with others, and have a laugh, we’d love to have you aboard.
  • Advertise with us

User Menu

Enjoyed Reading our Story?

• Share this forum to your loved ones.
Change Weather Postcode×
Change Petrol Postcode×