Health Minister rejects naming and shaming of GPs who don’t bulk bill

Navigating the healthcare system can be daunting, especially when it comes to understanding the costs associated with medical care.

For many Australians, bulk billing is a lifeline, ensuring that visits to the general practitioner (GP) don't become a financial burden.

However, recent discussions have highlighted a growing concern that not all GPs are willing to bulk bill, leaving some patients facing unexpected costs.

Amid rising concerns over the accessibility of bulk-billing doctors, Australians have been advised to take matters into their own hands.

Bulk billing, a practice where doctors bill Medicare directly, leaving patients with no out-of-pocket expenses, has been a hot topic in recent times.

Screenshot 2024-01-30 122658.png
GPs are not at risk of being shamed for not offering bulk billing. Image: Freepik

Health Minister Mark Butler has suggested that patients should actively seek out bulk-billing GPs in their area, dismissing the idea of publicly shaming doctors who choose not to offer this service.

‘We want patients to know, if one practice in their area has changed their behaviour around bulk billing and another hasn’t, it’s entirely your right to vote with your feet,’ Butler told reporters.

‘People can ring around and ask “Are you bulk billing a consultant for my kid who’s 14? Are you bulk billing me, I’m a concession card holder?”’

‘We want an active community discussion about this.’

The government has been pushing to increase its prevalence, particularly for vulnerable patients, by tripling the incentives paid to doctors who offer this service to children under 16, pensioners, and concession card holders.

This move was expected to benefit around 11 million people.

However, despite these efforts, the number of Australians who delayed seeing a GP due to rising costs increased over the last financial year to almost 1.2 million.

A recent survey from online healthcare directory Cleanbill found that fewer than one in four clinics bulk bills patients.

This has led to patients paying an average of $41.69 in out-of-pocket costs.

In response to these concerns, Butler has encouraged patients to take an active role in their healthcare decisions.

But when he was asked what is considered an acceptable gap fee—the difference between the Medicare rebate and what is charged to a patient—he said his focus was on bulk billing.

‘That is where the vast bulk of the investment we put into general practice into last year’s budget went,’ Mr Butler said.

‘The more that we can incentivise and reward GPs for bulk billing those concession card holders, pensioners and kids, the less pressure there is to impose gap fees on the rest of their patients as well.’

While this advice may seem practical, it also places the onus on patients to navigate the complex healthcare system.

It also raises questions about the effectiveness of the government's incentive scheme and whether more needs to be done to ensure affordable healthcare for all Australians.

The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP) has been advocating for a 20 per cent increase in the Medicare rebate for long appointments and mental health consults. They also propose free yearly health checks for children under five.

‘Key measures in last year’s budget, including a tripling of the bulk-billing incentive for certain patient groups and a new Medicare item for longer consults, are a positive step forward in supporting vulnerable patients,’ President Nicole Higgins said.

‘We are also calling for funding to enable patients to see their GP after an unplanned hospital visit so they don’t end up straight back there. Keep in mind that whilst a standard GP appointment costs the taxpayer $40, a hospital visit costs $600.’

‘Cost-of-living pressures are biting hard for many households, and I understand that some patients are seeking a bulk-billing GP. The long-term solution to making health care more affordable for all Australians from all walks of life is increased investment in general practice care. That way, no patients will be left behind.’

The debate around bulk billing highlights the ongoing challenges in ensuring equitable access to healthcare in Australia.

While the government's incentives and the advice to 'shop around' for a bulk-billing doctor may help some, more needs to be done to ensure that all Australians can access affordable healthcare.

Key Takeaways
  • Australians have been encouraged to seek out bulk-billing GPs by ringing around, amid concerns about access to affordable healthcare.
  • Health Minister Mark Butler dismissed the idea of naming and shaming GPs who don't offer bulk billing for vulnerable patients, emphasising patient choice.
  • The government has significantly increased the incentives for doctors to bulk bill certain groups, potentially benefiting around 11 million people.
  • The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners is advocating for a 20 per cent increase in the Medicare rebate for longer appointments and mental health consults, as well as free yearly health checks for children under five.

What are your thoughts on this issue? Have you struggled to find a bulk-billing doctor in your area? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
If a doctor doesn't bulk bill we must as a community boycott them. They are being paid handsomely for their service and get every rort known to man. It all started when we paid for foreign doctors, now they started the downfall of Medicare, boycott the shit out of these alien doctors.

I used to live in Mandurah. There is a practice on Pinjarra Road that advertise on the outside of the building that they bulk bill. Heading towards the foreshore, past the aquatic centre, it's on the left hand side.
I went to Dynamic Doctors, opposite Bortolo Park in the small shopping centre on the corner of Mississippi Drive, there are two bulk billing Drs there.
You need to enquire at the reception about which Drs bulk bill
Kind of you to offer this information. I hope @ Jonnie boy finds a solution to his dilemma. $30 / week or $1,560 per year from a Pension is a lot of money for us Pensioners.

Bulk bill should be available to all low income and pension card holders. As an aged pensioner with a government pension we are struggling enough to make ends meet and cannot afford and addition medical fee of $40 to $60 more just to see a doctor for a 10 to 15 minute consultation To be realistic it either keeping a roof over our heads paying electricity and putting food in the fridge and high cost of fuel or transport or going to the doctor.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
Shopping around for bulk billing GP"s is not necessarilly the answer... most Practices are not taking NEW patients, or only accepting pay up front and immediate claim electronically, leaving a gap payment, type patients. The government appears to be deliberately and methodically destroying their own Medicare System, how many medications and procedures have been quietly removed in the background as well ?

Reactions: Ezzy and Robbo3006
Shopping around for bulk billing GP"s is not necessarilly the answer... most Practices are not taking NEW patients, or only accepting pay up front and immediate claim electronically, leaving a gap payment, type patients. The government appears to be deliberately and methodically destroying their own Medicare System, how many medications and procedures have been quietly removed in the background as well ?
Sending too much money and weapons to Ukraine and paying a lot of trojan horse invaders welfare coz they don't want to work, just sit around and make more kids,and spending billions on submarines that will be obsolete by the time we take delivery. Helping America?

Bulk bill should be available to all low income and pension card holders. As an aged pensioner with a government pension we are struggling enough to make ends meet and cannot afford and addition medical fee of $40 to $60 more just to see a doctor for a 10 to 15 minute consultation To be realistic it either keeping a roof over our heads paying electricity and putting food in the fridge and high cost of fuel or transport or going to the doctor.
Sometimes you may be lucky to get 10-15 minutes if all you need is a script & $40 - $60 plus the cost of the medication makes this an expensive prescription. Even more so if as a Pensioner you should only be paying $7.70 for medication.

Reactions: Robbo3006
I used to live in Mandurah. There is a practice on Pinjarra Road that advertise on the outside of the building that they bulk bill. Heading towards the foreshore, past the aquatic centre, it's on the left hand side.
I went to Dynamic Doctors, opposite Bortolo Park in the small shopping centre on the corner of Mississippi Drive, there are two bulk billing Drs there.
You need to enquire at the reception about which Drs bulk bill

Thanks for that. However I really wish to have a regular doctor who has my history rather than having to “doctor shop “. And I would expect for continuity so should/would doctors too.

Reactions: Ezzy
Thanks for that. However I really wish to have a regular doctor who has my history rather than having to “doctor shop “. And I would expect for continuity so should/would doctors too.
I can certainly understand that, although when you change Drs your
current Dr is required to forward your medical history on.

Someone suggested that GPs were obliged to pass on patients’ records if they change doctors. However this (from my experience) is easier said than done and there can be charged

Reactions: Robbo3006
Someone suggested that GPs were obliged to pass on patients’ records if they change doctors. However this (from my experience) is easier said than done and there can be charged
That was me, I've moved 13 times in the last 30 years. Changed my Dr everytime, never ever been charged.This also included my husband's and daughters records.

Thats really good. My experience was (I only moved once in 20 years) but it took a long time to access them but I wasn’t charged either. Very frustrating waiting to receive them though

Thats really good. My experience was (I only moved once in 20 years) but it took a long time to access them but I wasn’t charged either. Very frustrating waiting to receive them though
Yes, must admit I had to get a bit stroppy with a couple of clinics when they took their time to send the records

Someone suggested that GPs were obliged to pass on patients’ records if they change doctors. However this (from my experience) is easier said than done and there can be charged.
Yes exactly what happened to my wife & several other patients some years ago.
My G.P. sold the practice to a large conglomerate who set ridiculous rules for staff so the new owners were told their lease would not be renewed at conclusion of their term. The next day he didn't have time to start work before being sacked. He set up practice elsewhere in another practice & several Drs & staff followed him while other staff resigned. I had my records transferred for no charge but as a large volume of patients also transferred a $30 fee was levied for each person. Some years later when the lease at the original practice was up, the G.P.s returned, bringing those records with them.