Health experts caution about potential illnesses from backyard mixtures

As the sun climbs and the days grow warmer, Australians nationwide roll up their sleeves and dive into their garden beds.

Spring is the season of renewal; for many of us, that means planting new seeds and nurturing fresh blooms.

But amidst the excitement of cultivating our little patches of paradise, a hidden danger lurks in a typical backyard product that could have dire consequences for our health.

They are sold in abundance at the popular hardware chain Bunnings and are used by countless greenthumbs to give their gardens a nutrient-rich boost.

While these soil fertilisers are a boon for our botanical buddies, they can severely threaten human health.

In some tragic instances, exposure to contaminated potting mixtures has led to severe illness and even death.

1728264470931.png
Health authorities warned that diseases like Legionnaires' can be contracted by inhaling contaminated potting mixtures. Credit: Shutterstock

Health authorities have long cautioned that inhaling the dust from these mixtures can lead to respiratory illnesses, including Legionnaires’ disease, tetanus, and various lung infections.

These soil mixtures are teeming with a rich array of bacteria, fungi, and other microorganisms that, while generally harmless when contained within the soil, can become dangerous when airborne and inhaled.

An expert emphasised the importance of following safety guidelines to mitigate these risks.

Bunnings, too, has issued stern warnings, urging customers to strictly adhere to the instructions that accompany all potting mixtures sold in their stores.

Despite these warnings, many gardeners need the recommended protective gear, such as masks and gloves, to handle these mixtures.

This oversight can have severe consequences. Just two years ago, New South Wales experienced an outbreak of Legionnaires' disease linked to potting mix usage, resulting in one death and 96 serious illnesses.

In Queensland, 88 cases were reported, with two proving fatal.

One Brisbane man, Paul Copeland, shared his harrowing experience with ABC after contracting Legionella longbeachae from a fresh batch of potting mix.

‘I'd never been that sick. My skin was sore, my hair was sore,’ he said.

‘I just had no air, and my oxygen levels were quite low.’

His illness, initially misdiagnosed as pneumonia, landed him in the hospital twice.

'I'd never been that sick,' he recounted.

'My skin was sore, my hair was sore. I just had no air, and my oxygen levels were quite low.'

The composition of potting mixtures typically includes various organic materials such as manure, mushroom compost, organic waste, sawdust, peat, grains, and minerals.

While this concoction is excellent for plant growth, it can also foster the development of the potentially lethal Legionella bacteria, which thrives in the warm, moist conditions inside the bags.

The Australian Standard (AS3743-2003) provides guidelines for what can be included in bagged retail potting mix, with specifications for regular and premium grades.

However, Professor David Eldridge from the University of NSW’s School of Biological, Earth, and Environmental Sciences points out that the exact contents of these mixtures are still uncertain.

‘We don't always know because there are so many different sorts of mixes that have different amounts of organic matter,’ he warned.

‘I've even heard some potting mixes have industrial waste, and that could be where we've had problems with asbestos in that stuff that was spread around Sydney parks in the last six months,’

Eldridge advised that anyone with health issues, particularly those who are immunocompromised or suffering from long-Covid, should steer clear of these mixtures or have someone else handle them.

'This is potentially a dangerous situation to be in,' he cautioned.

Potting mixture packaging includes clear warnings and recommendations, which are too often overlooked once the product is returned.

A Bunnings Garden Expert stressed the importance of following health advice and user instructions when handling the mixtures.

'When using potting mix and any other bagged products, it is highly recommended for gardeners to wear gloves and a mask and always wash their hands after using any of these products,' the expert advised.

‘At Bunnings, we recommend that customers always read and follow the instructions carefully when using any gardening products.’

The spokesperson also highlighted that the composition of each bag can vary depending on the manufacturer and the source of the ingredients.

They reiterated the importance of reading and following the instructions on the packaging and taking the necessary safety precautions.

The same precautions for potting mix should also apply to other bagged products such as composts, mulch, and garden soils.
Key Takeaways
  • Health authorities and experts warn about the risks of contracting diseases like Legionnaires' disease from inhaling contaminated potting mixtures.
  • Using masks and gloves when handling potting mixtures is recommended to prevent infection, but these warnings are often ignored.
  • There have been severe illnesses and fatalities in Australia linked to the use of potting mix, highlighting the importance of adhering to safety guidelines.
  • Bunnings, a major retailer, stresses the importance of following the health advice and user instructions for potting mixtures and other bagged gardening products.
Have you had an experience with potting mix or compost that you'd like to share? Or perhaps some tips on how to enjoy gardening safely this season? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored