Have you seen this viral 'heartwarming' video? The man featured in it is 'traumatised' - Here's what really happened!

We all love to see those feel-good videos online where users do random acts of kindness for strangers. They always seem to make us feel warm and fuzzy inside and remind us of the good that exists in the world. But have you ever stopped to think about whether the act was a setup or not?

Well, the good news is that most of the acts are done randomly and involved people who have nothing to do with the production of the video. The bad news is that the people at the receiving end often did not consent to be filmed and sometimes, they find the act to be an invasion of their privacy.

Take, for example, Esa, who had been featured in a viral TikTok video where user Rustam Raziev filmed himself randomly paying for Esa's grocery bill without his knowledge.

In the clip, the man in the grey jacket (Esa) was seen patiently waiting for his turn to pay at a Coles checkout in Melbourne when suddenly a stranger (Rustam) sneakily taps his card to pay for the bill while Esa was not looking.

[NOTE: In honouring his request for privacy, we have not included the video in this article]

SDl68puO6KQJO_EIdSovgW1h6KYgzZIDiM6v0D9tJjDGNuP1N1HVm16qnM9a3Ghu4Bwy2734SsN34cdtIyE40UjoyQ0NyHfFZli15WlgwRxCikdFZp7vfI4QXXq-IJIeLqvZsBiPchxNHnAis3NL7g

A man admitted that he felt traumatised after being featured in a ‘feel-good’ video without his consent. Credit: Getty Images.

The Coles customer said that he has been traumatised after seeing the video circulating online, claiming that he wasn't even aware that a stranger had paid for his groceries, which cost roughly $33, let alone that he was being recorded.

Esa also recalled that when he went to pay for the bill, the cashier just simply informed him that 'everything had been paid for,' and when he questioned this, the staff member only replied, 'It's all done,' without further explanation.

While he admitted that he was confused at the time, he just shrugged it off and assumed that he got the groceries for free through a promotion that the retailer was running.

He didn't realise what had truly happened until a few weeks later when his friends showed him the TikTok video.

Esa confessed: 'I checked it out and saw my video, which really creeped me out and made me upset.'

'I don’t want to be famous, I don’t want people to know about me … and he did it without my consent too. I wasn’t happy about it.'

Esa is an asylum seeker who arrived in Australia from Afghanistan in 2001. He said that he values his privacy greatly, noting that he never posts clips of himself on social media.

'I felt embarrassed, guilty, a bit shocked, and sad. I look like a desperate person who needs help,' he continued.

'I have friends and family around the world, they’ve been calling me saying: "Oh, you need help” and “What happened to you? Someone’s paying for your food?" I was a bit traumatised.'

We cannot blame him for feeling upset at the video, especially when a lot of comments point out that Esa looked like 'he's been struggling.'

One comment read: 'He looks like he’s going through something. I feel bad.'

Some users felt Esa 'probably really needed' the thoughtful gesture, while others claimed it appeared as though he was trying not to cry in the video.

One user wrote: 'He obviously needed that, he couldn’t even turn around as you could see him holding back the emotions.'

'I think you saved this man,' another added.

While feel-good videos may seem harmless, it can’t be denied that they sometimes do more harm than good, especially when they present a false reality of what actually happened. We generally support acts of generosity, especially during this trying time. However, we also value the privacy and consent of others, so it's very understandable that some recipients of these random acts of kindness feel uneasy with the fact that they are being publicised online without their knowledge.

How about you? What are your thoughts on this?

Sponsored
We all love to see those feel-good videos online where users do random acts of kindness for strangers. They always seem to make us feel warm and fuzzy inside and remind us of the good that exists in the world. But have you ever stopped to think about whether the act was a setup or not?

Well, the good news is that most of the acts are done randomly and involved people who have nothing to do with the production of the video. The bad news is that the people at the receiving end often did not consent to be filmed and sometimes, they find the act to be an invasion of their privacy.

Take, for example, Esa, who had been featured in a viral TikTok video where user Rustam Raziev filmed himself randomly paying for Esa's grocery bill without his knowledge.

In the clip, the man in the grey jacket (Esa) was seen patiently waiting for his turn to pay at a Coles checkout in Melbourne when suddenly a stranger (Rustam) sneakily taps his card to pay for the bill while Esa was not looking.

[NOTE: In honouring his request for privacy, we have not included the video in this article]

SDl68puO6KQJO_EIdSovgW1h6KYgzZIDiM6v0D9tJjDGNuP1N1HVm16qnM9a3Ghu4Bwy2734SsN34cdtIyE40UjoyQ0NyHfFZli15WlgwRxCikdFZp7vfI4QXXq-IJIeLqvZsBiPchxNHnAis3NL7g

A man admitted that he felt traumatised after being featured in a ‘feel-good’ video without his consent. Credit: Getty Images.

The Coles customer said that he has been traumatised after seeing the video circulating online, claiming that he wasn't even aware that a stranger had paid for his groceries, which cost roughly $33, let alone that he was being recorded.

Esa also recalled that when he went to pay for the bill, the cashier just simply informed him that 'everything had been paid for,' and when he questioned this, the staff member only replied, 'It's all done,' without further explanation.

While he admitted that he was confused at the time, he just shrugged it off and assumed that he got the groceries for free through a promotion that the retailer was running.

He didn't realise what had truly happened until a few weeks later when his friends showed him the TikTok video.

Esa confessed: 'I checked it out and saw my video, which really creeped me out and made me upset.'

'I don’t want to be famous, I don’t want people to know about me … and he did it without my consent too. I wasn’t happy about it.'

Esa is an asylum seeker who arrived in Australia from Afghanistan in 2001. He said that he values his privacy greatly, noting that he never posts clips of himself on social media.

'I felt embarrassed, guilty, a bit shocked, and sad. I look like a desperate person who needs help,' he continued.

'I have friends and family around the world, they’ve been calling me saying: "Oh, you need help” and “What happened to you? Someone’s paying for your food?" I was a bit traumatised.'

We cannot blame him for feeling upset at the video, especially when a lot of comments point out that Esa looked like 'he's been struggling.'

Some users felt Esa 'probably really needed' the thoughtful gesture, while others claimed it appeared as though he was trying not to cry in the video.

One user wrote: 'He obviously needed that, he couldn’t even turn around as you could see him holding back the emotions.'

While feel-good videos may seem harmless, it can’t be denied that they sometimes do more harm than good, especially when they present a false reality of what actually happened. We generally support acts of generosity, especially during this trying time. However, we also value the privacy and consent of others, so it's very understandable that some recipients of these random acts of kindness feel uneasy with the fact that they are being publicised online without their knowledge.

Paying it forward is anonymous and people doing it should not be doing it to be shown to be doing it

I've seen a few stories like this lately. It is totally wrong to make and use such videos. It is not "a random act of kindness" when it is being used to gained either publicity or financial gain.

We have all filmed people unintentionally so is this the same? I remember getting some great shots of the blow hole kiama and there were a couple of people in my amazing shot.

Maybe he should have filmed only paying for the groceries and blacked the man out.

I'm all for posting this video as it may inspire others to do something nice , just leave out the actual person

He didn't have permission to photograph the man and that is violation. HE could easily have blacked out the man's face. But if a true act of kindness he would have done either of these two things. There can be all kinds of reasons why someone does not want to be photographed, but to go further and out it on social media was the focus of the post is heartless.

Thinking more on this, I have realised that (fortunately not in the cases I have heard of as yet) it could actually be not just humiliating but dangerous for the unwitting person being filmed and shared publicly. With the availability of apps such as Google image search, it could aid in a person who has fled domestic violence being located by their perpetrator.

If the guy doing this is hoping it will give him entry to heaven he'll be sadly disappointed. Jesus said in his sermon on the mount in Matt chapter 6:
“Watch out! Don’t do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven. 2 When you give to someone in need, don’t do as the hypocrites do—blowing trumpets in the synagogues and streets (or uploading videos to the internet) to call attention to their acts of charity! I tell you the truth, they have received all the reward they will ever get. 3 But when you give to someone in need, don’t let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. 4 Give your gifts in private, and your Father, who sees everything, will reward you."

Good intention, but when it's filmed and shared without permission, that's a step too far. Truly helping someone should be anonymous or at least not used for self-promotion.

I am with Esa, he will always be receiving messages and being talked about by friends and relatives and his countrymen....... Like he now has a conviction for life.
I don't even see the "good intent" from the prankster. Who is he to judge Esa's financial or life situation without any knowledge of him?.... many many wealthy people go out and about not dressed to look like millionaires. This prankster, if he had good intent, could have bought some grocery or food items and given them to a homeless person on the street...... BUT that wouldn't happen, because he wouldn't want to be seen showing that on social media.
Have a close look at your morals and life values before inflicting yourself on others.

If the guy doing this is hoping it will give him entry to heaven he'll be sadly disappointed. Jesus said in his sermon on the mount in Matt chapter 6:
“Watch out! Don’t do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others, for you will lose the reward from your Father in heaven. 2 When you give to someone in need, don’t do as the hypocrites do—blowing trumpets in the synagogues and streets (or uploading videos to the internet) to call attention to their acts of charity! I tell you the truth, they have received all the reward they will ever get. 3 But when you give to someone in need, don’t let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. 4 Give your gifts in private, and your Father, who sees everything, will reward you."
So very well said . It is a sin to brag about our good works. We do need to do it in silence.

I felt sort of the same when my local council published names & photos of volunteers doing library deliveries. I was taught charity (including volunteering) meant not asking for thanks or wanting recognition but the world has changed so much now it seems doing something for others is another way to blow your own trumpet ..... self promoters, influencers and all that nonsense leave me cold!

I felt sort of the same when my local council published names & photos of volunteers doing library deliveries. I was taught charity (including volunteering) meant not asking for thanks or wanting recognition but the world has changed so much now it seems doing something for others is another way to blow your own trumpet ..... self promoters, influencers and all that nonsense leave me cold!
A good way to truly help someone is to donate their time a few hours a month to feed the homeless . There is a soup kitchen run by vinnies behind St Mary's cathedral Sydney. No one will see pictures of that

A good way to truly help someone is to donate their time a few hours a month to feed the homeless . There is a soup kitchen run by vinnies behind St Mary's cathedral Sydney. No one will see pictures of that
Well, bit hard for me ..... I live nowhere near Sydney!

• Angry
Reactions: Defiant540
Wonderfully said Granny Sam. My sentiments exactly. I can't reiterate more. Charity broadcasted is purely self-indulgence, and self praise has NO recommendation in the many people who wrote The Bible. This man did not think of feelings that Esa may have had being humiliated. Always put yourself in the other person's shoes. We ALL practice Charity in our own way but he overstepped the mark that represents humility.

Reactions: Thecheesequeen