'Have you never seen a chicken before?': Coles shopper makes surprising discovery on chicken drumsticks

A Coles shopper was left perplexed after finding strange protrusions poking out of some chicken drumsticks he had purchased for his dogs.

Unsure of what they were, the concerned customer decided to share a video online in hopes of getting to the bottom of the mystery.

According to the post on social media, the shopper noticed small black objects that appeared to be 'moving' or 'flopping' from one of the skin-on drumsticks.

The shopper poked and prodded the chicken’s packaging, trying to get more clues as to what the mysterious black filaments were.

SDC 24.png
One shopper found small black objects on a chicken drumstick they bought from Coles. Image source: Reddit/@evilparagon.

'What is wrong here? We’re taking them back to get a refund no matter what, but what are these and how bad could it have been?' The shopper asked.

He also added his theory that they were 'concerning' parasites.

Considering the rather distressing view, they also decided a store return was necessary.

When you first saw the image, what came to mind? Unless you already know the what the protrusions are, it’s safe to assume you were also thinking about some exotic hitchhiker making its presence known.

But other users immediately identified the strange black 'parasites' as chicken feathers that were missed when the feathers were being removed.

'Looks like feathers not fully plucked,' one replied.

'There are often leftover feather stubs on skin-on chickens,' another said.

Many users expressed their frustration towards the shopper, with one asking: 'Have you never seen a chicken before?'

'Seriously, if you can't handle the fact that chickens once had feathers and you're only comfortable seeing “meat” as sold to you by big corporations you need to do some research,' another added.

‘Judging from the other replies, I think I speak for everyone by saying that because you couldn’t identify partially plucked feathers, you are a daft c**t,’ another said.

‘I would strike you down where you stand for daring to post such an abysmal thing… Also keep the bones, they are great for stock and soups.’

Despite the backlash he received, the user expressed his intent to leave his post up so other users who experience the same confusion can identify what unplucked chicken feathers look like as he claimed there was little information on it on the internet.

'Despite the dunking, I will not be deleting this post.'

'Maybe someone else freaking out seven years from now will see this, call me an idiot with a laugh, and calm down and pluck out the damn things.'

You can see the full post and watch the video below:

Source: Reddit.

In other news, one man in New Zealand recently experienced the shock of his life after eating his burger and finding something squirming.

The unsightly add-on was pasty white and elongated. Yet, its most striking characteristic was that it pulsed as it tried to move around.

Two veterinarians identified it as a tapeworm segment to a news outlet, but the mystery remains—how did this parasite come to be in the man’s meal?

You can read more about this incident here.
Key Takeaways

• A shopper was criticised online after mistaking chicken feathers for parasites in a pack of Coles chicken drumsticks.
  • He took to Reddit to ask for an explanation after being unable to find answers online.
  • Reddit users quickly identified the supposed parasites as remaining chicken feathers that were not fully plucked.
  • Despite receiving frustrated responses, the original poster left his post up to help others who may experience the same confusion.
Members, have you seen something similar on your chickens before? Did you know what they were? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: Ezzy and Littleboy8
Sponsored
A Coles shopper was left perplexed after finding strange protrusions poking out of some chicken drumsticks he had purchased for his dogs.

Unsure of what they were, the concerned customer decided to share a video online in hopes of getting to the bottom of the mystery.

According to the post on social media, the shopper noticed small black objects that appeared to be 'moving' or 'flopping' from one of the skin-on drumsticks.

The shopper poked and prodded the chicken’s packaging, trying to get more clues as to what the mysterious black filaments were.

View attachment 31921
One shopper found small black objects on a chicken drumstick they bought from Coles. Image source: Reddit/@evilparagon.

'What is wrong here? We’re taking them back to get a refund no matter what, but what are these and how bad could it have been?' The shopper asked.

Considering the rather distressing view, they also decided a store return was necessary.

When you first saw the image, what came to mind? Unless you already know the what the protrusions are, it’s safe to assume you were also thinking about some exotic hitchhiker making its presence known.

But other users immediately identified the strange black 'parasites' as chicken feathers that were missed when the feathers were being removed.

Many users expressed their frustration towards the shopper, with one asking: 'Have you never seen a chicken before?'

'Seriously, if you can't handle the fact that chickens once had feathers and you're only comfortable seeing “meat” as sold to you by big corporations you need to do some research,' another added.

‘Judging from the other replies, I think I speak for everyone by saying that because you couldn’t identify partially plucked feathers, you are a daft c**t,’ another said.

‘I would strike you down where you stand for daring to post such an abysmal thing… Also keep the bones, they are great for stock and soups.’

Despite the backlash he received, the user expressed his intent to leave his post up so other users who experience the same confusion can identify what unplucked chicken feathers look like as he claimed there was little information on it on the internet.

'Maybe someone else freaking out seven years from now will see this, call me an idiot with a laugh, and calm down and pluck out the damn things.'

In other news, one man in New Zealand recently experienced the shock of his life after eating his burger and finding something squirming.

The unsightly add-on was pasty white and elongated. Yet, its most striking characteristic was that it pulsed as it tried to move around.

Two veterinarians identified it as a tapeworm segment to a news outlet, but the mystery remains—how did this parasite come to be in the man’s meal?

Key Takeaways

• A shopper was criticised online after mistaking chicken feathers for parasites in a pack of Coles chicken drumsticks.
  • He took to Reddit to ask for an explanation after being unable to find answers online.
  • Reddit users quickly identified the supposed parasites as remaining chicken feathers that were not fully plucked.
  • Despite receiving frustrated responses, the original poster left his post up to help others who may experience the same confusion.
Members, have you seen something similar on your chickens before? Did you know what they were? Let us know in the comments below!

🤣🤣🤣🤣 Hard to believe.

Reactions: MarSyb and Wieso

View attachment 31921

Key Takeaways

This is a con imo, no one is that thick.

They're actually called pin feathers, but that's not

View attachment 31921

Key Takeaways

Why would people get so vitriolic over something so trivial? It's a sad indictment of our society, that so many people seem to be in a perpetual state of anger! My question is why?

They're actually called pin feathers, but that's not

Why would people get so vitriolic over something so trivial? It's a sad indictment of our society, that so many people seem to be in a perpetual state of anger! My question is why?
Sorry for having an opinion, maybe some just don't like to be made a fool of, it's nothing to do with anger.

I used to work at Steggles and the machine that removes the feathers doesn’t get them all. Having said that I never saw a black chicken only white. I worked on the gutting line and the front dock where we hung the live chickens.

I used to work at Steggles and the machine that removes the feathers doesn’t get them all. Having said that I never saw a black chicken only white. I worked on the gutting line and the front dock where we hung the live chickens.
It’s fake there texted on by a black marker look closely there not even embedded in the chicken skin. 🙀

Last edited:
Sorry for having an opinion, maybe some just don't like to be made a fool of, it's nothing to do with anger.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Who's being made a fool of? Who said you had no right to an opinion? Whether the post is fake or not, I fail to see why it's necessary to call someone a four letter word. That usually comes from a place of anger. Of course, there is an alternative reason for the this use of that language: the writer has such a limited vocabulary that these words are the only ones he knows to express disagreement.

This farmer out west bred four legged chickens when a city slicker pulled up.

The city boy asked "How much are they?"

The farmer replied "I'll give 'em to ya for ten bucks each".

City fella was chuffed. "Done deal! Give us four. And by the way, what do they taste like?"

The farmer says "Dunno. Haven't caught one yet."

• Haha
Reactions: Ricki
Why not it’s fun😈
There is that of course. It's just that the current political environment has generated such negative and nasty feelings in us Aussies, that I believe it's time to look at the positive, the good in people and situations.

Don't get me wrong, I can be an absolute bitch if someone or something stirs me up, but I've made a conscious decision not to be nasty online. I don't know the people whose post annoyed me; I don't know what problems they might be having. Why would I want to make them feel worse? Often, I'm dying to let rip on someone who's spouting rubbish, but I don't. I just scroll past.