Hate wasting veggies? Aussie mum shares three MUST-TRY storage tips to make them last longer

We’ve already featured Chantel Mila for her simple tips on how to turn your bedroom into a luxurious sanctuary.

But now, the Melbourne mum is back for more! This time, she has revealed three ways to store your vegetables that will keep them from rotting and wilting for weeks.

What’s more, the process is quick and easy. All you need are a couple of air-tight containers, water, a knife, and the fridge.

Her clip on the popular video-sharing app Tiktok has amassed over 284.6K views and 12.5K likes.

Scroll down to watch the video below.

The 14-second clip begins with Chantel’s suggestion of submerging the stems of your herbs in water. In much the same way putting flowers in a vase with some water keeps them fresher for longer, this method, she says, should keep things like coriander, parsely, and mint from wilting as quickly as they otherwise would.

Water is also important in keeping many plants fresh. And then you get the added perk of tastier food!

Her next suggestion is to put a damp paper towel over your green leafy vegetables so that they remain crisp. Why? The paper towel trick works by absorbing any excess moisture from the veggies. When greens are stored wet, they can become slimy and mouldy quickly.

You can double down on the tip by putting them inside a sealed container. Shutting out excess air means that your produce won’t wilt as easily.

capture-20220729-115935.png
Chantel Mila, who also goes by Mama Mila online, posts quick and easy cleaning and styling DIYs on TikTok and Instagram. Credit: Instagram/Chantel Mila/DailyMail

Lastly, Chantel urged her viewers to chop their carrots into bite-size pieces and keep them in water. Water, again, is useful in maintaining the crispness of the root vegetable.

Cut carrots also make for healthy and quick snacks.

But there are more things you can do to make your fresh fruit and vegetables last longer.

Emilie Vanpoperinghe, founder of Oddbox, says that most fresh produce can be kept in the freezer. However, you will need to blanch them first. This entails a quick boil before transferring the veggies to cold water so that it isn’t accidentally cooked. Doing this should neutralise the bacteria that speed up spoilage.

nathan-dumlao-bRdRUUtbxO0-unsplash.jpg
You can prolong the life of your produce and minimise food waste by putting veggies and fruits in the fridge. Credit: Unsplash/Nathan Dumlao

Chantel’s suggestion of using towels to absorb moisture is also sound because water-dense veggies lose their structure when put in the freezer and then defrosted. Water both expands and shrinks when frozen, which will then cause vegetables to become soggy.

(That sounds contradictory, but water behaves differently than other liquids during the freezing process. It contracts when cooled, but only up until a certain temperature. Upon reaching approximately 4 degrees Celsius, water expands to reach a freezing point. You can read this for more information.)

Bruises or any imperfections on fruits should also be sliced away as soon as possible. The gashes can accelerate the spoilage of fruits. You can also cut the fruits into small pieces and then remove as much moisture as possible.

Moreover, the best time to freeze fruits and vegetables is when they’re fresh. When packing, remember to remove as much air as you can. However, you should separate fruits that produce ethylene gas, such as apples and bananas, from greens such as cabbage, broccoli, and lettuce. Leafy greens, when exposed to ethylene, can decay faster.

There are also produce that shouldn’t be refrigerated: garlic, potatoes, and onions are better stored at room temperature. These benefit from air circulation ⁠— things like plastic bags speed up their spoilage, so it is better to take the items out.

Test1-ImageforBlog.png
While many items benefit from being in the fridge, some are better kept in your pantry or on the counter. Credit: Imperfect Foods

Did you find these tips useful? What other tips would you like to know? We here at SDC are always on the lookout for great home hacks that we’d love to share with all our members!

Sponsored
We’ve already featured Chantel Mila for her simple tips on how to turn your bedroom into a luxurious sanctuary.

But now, the Melbourne mum is back for more! This time, she has revealed three ways to store your vegetables that will keep them from rotting and wilting for weeks.

What’s more, the process is quick and easy. All you need are a couple of air-tight containers, water, a knife, and the fridge.

Her clip on the popular video-sharing app Tiktok has amassed over 284.6K views and 12.5K likes.

The 14-second clip begins with Chantel’s suggestion of submerging the stems of your herbs in water. In much the same way putting flowers in a vase with some water keeps them fresher for longer, this method, she says, should keep things like coriander, parsely, and mint from wilting as quickly as they otherwise would.

Water is also important in keeping many plants fresh. And then you get the added perk of tastier food!

Her next suggestion is to put a damp paper towel over your green leafy vegetables so that they remain crisp. Why? The paper towel trick works by absorbing any excess moisture from the veggies. When greens are stored wet, they can become slimy and mouldy quickly.

You can double down on the tip by putting them inside a sealed container. Shutting out excess air means that your produce won’t wilt as easily.

View attachment 4842
Chantel Mila, who also goes by Mama Mila online, posts quick and easy cleaning and styling DIYs on TikTok and Instagram. Credit: Instagram/Chantel Mila/DailyMail

Lastly, Chantel urged her viewers to chop their carrots into bite-size pieces and keep them in water. Water, again, is useful in maintaining the crispness of the root vegetable.

But there are more things you can do to make your fresh fruit and vegetables last longer.

Emilie Vanpoperinghe, founder of Oddbox, says that most fresh produce can be kept in the freezer. However, you will need to blanch them first. This entails a quick boil before transferring the veggies to cold water so that it isn’t accidentally cooked. Doing this should neutralise the bacteria that speed up spoilage.

View attachment 4843
You can prolong the life of your produce and minimise food waste by putting veggies and fruits in the fridge. Credit: Unsplash/Nathan Dumlao

Chantel’s suggestion of using towels to absorb moisture is also sound because water-dense veggies lose their structure when put in the freezer and then defrosted. Water both expands and shrinks when frozen, which will then cause vegetables to become soggy.

(That sounds contradictory, but water behaves differently than other liquids during the freezing process. It contracts when cooled, but only up until a certain temperature. Upon reaching approximately 4 degrees Celsius, water expands to reach a freezing point. You can read this for more information.)

Bruises or any imperfections on fruits should also be sliced away as soon as possible. The gashes can accelerate the spoilage of fruits. You can also cut the fruits into small pieces and then remove as much moisture as possible.

Moreover, the best time to freeze fruits and vegetables is when they’re fresh. When packing, remember to remove as much air as you can. However, you should separate fruits that produce ethylene gas, such as apples and bananas, from greens such as cabbage, broccoli, and lettuce. Leafy greens, when exposed to ethylene, can decay faster.

There are also produce that shouldn’t be refrigerated: garlic, potatoes, and onions are better stored at room temperature. These benefit from air circulation ⁠— things like plastic bags speed up their spoilage, so it is better to take the items out.

View attachment 4844
While many items benefit from being in the fridge, some are better kept in your pantry or on the counter. Credit: Imperfect Foods

Did you find these tips useful? What other tips would you like to know? We here at SDC are always on the lookout for great home hacks that we’d love to share with all our members!

Like reading any tips on here that make life easier & save money. Never been disappointed yet. Thankyou.

I am a Tupperware tragic which keeps my vegetables fresher for ages. However there are a couple of tricks you can use. At Coles & Woolies you can buy ‘eco-freshness bags’ that are wonder workers for keeping vegetable fresh. The ones I have are blue with a ziplock seal. I always wrap my lettuce in a dry paper towel first. I have kept lettuce for 3 weeks without it going brown. I only buy Cos or Iceberg so don’t know how it works with soft lettuces. These bags are miracle workers when it comes to veggies. I use mine over and over so they are very cost effective. These bags are called Fresh & Crisp and are about $3.50 at Woolies.

I am a Tupperware tragic which keeps my vegetables fresher for ages. However there are a couple of tricks you can use. At Coles & Woolies you can buy ‘eco-freshness bags’ that are wonder workers for keeping vegetable fresh. The ones I have are blue with a ziplock seal. I always wrap my lettuce in a dry paper towel first. I have kept lettuce for 3 weeks without it going brown. I only buy Cos or Iceberg so don’t know how it works with soft lettuces. These bags are miracle workers when it comes to veggies. I use mine over and over so they are very cost effective. These bags are called Fresh & Crisp and are about $3.50 at Woolies.
Thankyou for this handy hint Hope Bowman. Will look for these when next shopping.

I sold Tupperware for years and was good at it until I realised it was way over priced and just kept going up. I wondered what those fridge bags were like so thanks for the tip I will definitely try those

View attachment 4842

View attachment 4843

View attachment 4844

Lettuce in a cellophane type bag, not plastic, keeps mine longer. It doesn’t cling like plastic and saves on space in fridge.

Reactions: Tervueren and Ezzy
It is expensive but lasts far longer than any other product. The life long warranty is still in effect but is a bit harder to do.
The warranty is certainly a lot harder to do it was mainly this reason I left Tupperware after 15 years. I was constantly being told it couldn't be returned as it was dropped, seriously I could see it was a crack .

I couldn't sell a product they they wouldn't fulfill the warranty .

I would see items that were burnt on one side yet cracked o the other and would tell the customer because it was burnt it lessened the product quality which caused the crack. But when it was a clear crack and Tupperware said it must gave been dropped abd this became a normal response I knew it was my time to walk

The fresh and crisp bags do really work well, however they are not blue, and they don’t have a “Ziplock”, would be keen to know the name of the actual Ziplock ones you mentioned!

Reactions: Ezzy
Something I always do is lay paper towel on the bottom of the storage containers I also line my crisper with paper towel. I find this helps to keep vegies fresher longer
The two vegies that I find the hardest to keep fresh are Cauliflower and Broccoli I manage most of the rest of the normal ones that I buy with plastic containers and Kitchen paper on the top and bottom, most of the tips I have seen to keep vegies fresh are about root vegetables, green leafy veg are also a problem for me, I absolutely hate to waste food and with the current prices it is akin to a criminal act.

Reactions: Ezzy