Hate cleaning dishes? Check out this Aussie mum's ‘no-dish’ dinner solution

If you've ever hosted a large dinner party, you'll understand how overwhelming the thought of cleaning up all the dishes can be. It can be quite an arduous task that nobody looks forward to.

But fear not, there's a mum in Melbourne named Adele Barbaro who has recently gone viral on social media for her brilliant 'messy dinner' hack that's now being widely replicated.

Adele's trick is simple yet ingenious, and it has quickly become the dinner solution everyone is talking about. She even appeared on the morning show Sunrise to chat with hosts Kochie and Nat, where she explained how her 'no-dish' hack works.

'I saw this trend on social media and I thought I'd give it a go. We do a lot of cooking at home,' Adele shared with the hosts.

Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 6.41.02 PM.png
Barbaro clearly had another motive for joining in on the challenge – she was simply trying to get out of kitchen cleaning duties! Credit: Instagram/adele_barbaro.

So, how does it work? Adele prepares dinner as usual, but instead of using bowls, she puts the meal directly onto the dining table, which is covered with a tablecloth.

In a video posted on her Instagram, her two children, Harvey and Chloe, are sitting at the table, eagerly anticipating their dinner.

To their surprise, Adele pours spaghetti bolognese into a pile on the table. Her children couldn't have been happier as they dug into their delicious meal.

Adele explained that her main motivation for the hack was to avoid doing any dishes, and who can blame her? Now, her family can enjoy a lovely meal together without worrying about the cleanup afterwards.

Adele's 'no-dish' hack has proven popular on her social media, and she hopes it encourages more parents to get their kids involved in cooking.

'It's something that we can do that just made it a little bit different. I recommend all parents give it a go - it's a bit of fun!'

She said the hack is perfect for busy households, parents with young children, or simply anyone who wants to save time and effort in the kitchen.

Her ingenious 'messy dinner' hack has been making waves on social media, and it's not hard to see why.

The trend has been around since last year, and it's all about minimising clean-up for parents while having a fun time with the kids. While many of Adele's followers praised her for being a 'fun mum,' some admitted they weren't 'brave' enough to try it themselves.

Not everyone is a fan of the trend, though.

Some people pointed out that it's a drastic shift from the table manners of the past, and they're concerned that children will want to 'dump their food on the table because it's more fun' at every meal.

On the other hand, some have pointed out that the practice of eating directly from the table is not unique to Adele's 'messy dinner' hack, and is, in fact, a common occurrence in many cultures around the world.

In the Philippines, for instance, this is known as a 'boodle fight,' where large families gather around a table covered in layers of banana leaves instead of a tablecloth. This not only adds an extra layer of experience to the meal, but it also makes for an easier cleanup as the 'plates' can be disposed of after the feast.

Another social media user also pointed out that the trend isn't entirely new - 'spaghetti on a board', using bread instead of cutlery, had its moment in the '80s.
Key Takeaways

• An Aussie mum has shared her 'no-dish' solution for serving dinner to her kids.
  • She has joined in on a social media challenge called 'messy dinner', in which meals are dumped on the table instead of using dishes.
  • She recommends other families to give the trend a try, as it is 'a bit of fun'.
For those who may be wondering, eating on a tablecloth, in the case of Adele's 'messy dinner' hack, is not necessarily unhygienic, but it does depend on a few factors.

If the tablecloth is made of a washable material and is cleaned regularly after each meal, it can be a safe and hygienic surface to eat on. However, if the tablecloth is not washed or changed frequently, it can harbour bacteria and other germs, potentially leading to foodborne illnesses.

Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 6.40.50 PM.png
The 'messy dinner' hack has provided some families with a fun and exciting way to enjoy mealtime together. Credit: Pexels/Alex Green.

Additionally, adding a protective layer, such as a plastic sheet, can make it easier to clean up any spills and reduce the risk of bacteria growth. It's important to also consider the cleanliness of the table itself, as any food or spills that come in contact with the tablecloth can potentially transfer to other surfaces.

Kudos to Adele for thinking out of the box! Not only does it cut out on the dishes, but it also injects a sense of fun and creativity into mealtimes.

What do you think of this idea, members? Do you think this 'no-dish' trick is perfectly fine to try over the weekend with your grandkids? Share your thoughts and opinions with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Do you remember when Jamie Oliver took school meals to USA, where a lot of food is takeaway, the first thing they had to do was teach the kids to use cutlery. This is what is happening here only not takeaway, but from the centre of the table.

There are certainly many positive aspects to civilisation, and plates and cutlery are two of those positive aspects. Damned if I would ever eat off a table cloth. Pure laziness. Just wash the damn dishes. She has kids, she doesn't even have to do the dishes herself! Train them young, dear.

I think that is disgusting. Children have so few manners these days as it is.
This is just letting them make a mess when eating.
I always had my family sit down at the table for meals and both of my sons now do the same.
We were always complimented as to how our children behaved at restaurants.
My grandsons, now are also often complimented when we have dined out.
Yes, of course occasionally we ate fish and chips or pizza in front of the TV,
but this was the exception.

She had to wash pan/s and cutlery and utensils so make better use of the water and wash some plates too !!! Going to waste time and water on washing a table cloth that you probably wouldn’t have to wash with plates. This is ridiculous but I know my grand kids would love it !! It was a massive treat as kids to eat fish and chips straight off the paper but spaghetti is a joke.

Yeh . That's a big no from me.

I'm guessing she really got the idea from a restaurant that slams all this seafood in front of you to share and that's on plastic tablecloth

This is me at a restaurant with colleges . Funny I dont eat seafood
And at this particular time I was glad I didn't. I ordered a plate of chips thankfully arrived on a plate

Screenshot_20230306-164923_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230306-164949_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Gross on so many levels. Plastic tablecloth would end up being thrown out, more unnecessary waste, cloth tablecloth would need washing and would still end up stained everywhere. Germs would be transferred from person to person eating from the same pile. All to save washing up a few plates. Makes me wonder who comes up with these stupid ideas.

I always had my family sit down at the table for meals and both of my sons now do the same.
I'm with you and my two, now 39 year old son who has autism with an intellectual disability and my 37 year old daughter, who we took to restaurants from an early age have always eaten at the table at home (as a matter fact the son will only eat at the table if there is one available), We were often complimented about their good manners in restaurants especially when there were children of their age running amok and they sat at the table and ate their meal and the daughter would join in the conversation, the son was non-verbal at that point.

Yeh . That's a big no from me.

I'm guessing she really got the idea from a restaurant that slams all this seafood in front of you to share and that's on plastic tablecloth

This is me at a restaurant with colleges . Funny I dont eat seafood
View attachment 15042View attachment 15043
I think that mess would turn me off eating anyting. It may be trendy but seriously!!!

This new trend of letting babies and toddlers feel their food is truly disturbing. The mess is crazy. Eating with your hands may be the way of teaching them to enjoy their food but it is not a way that sits well with me. We were taught strict manners at the table, and I watch some of my grandkids eat without sitting and so rapidly that I wonder if they actually enjoyed their meal. Eating together at the table is a great time to catch up with everyone. There are times I am put off my meal by the way the young ones eat.

Sitting at the table as a family is an important part of raising a family; time to chat, talk about the day etc. I always insisted on my children sitting down at the table for dinner, and now both my son and my daughter do the same with their families. My four grand daughters have grown up with the idea of eating meals at the table. I could also take my kids and my grand kids out to dinner and they would act like responsible, mature adults for the meal.