Hair-raising controversy: Aussie mum's ‘punishment’ sparks outrage on social media!

Content Warning: This article contains discussions of controversial parenting practices, including physical punishment and emotional distress. Reader discretion is advised.

In a world where social media can be a platform for the good, the bad, and sometimes the downright bizarre, a recent incident involving an Aussie mum has sparked a wave of indignation across the internet.

The mum in question has been heavily criticised for her decision to sell something quite unusual and disturbing on social media.

This decision has left many questioning the boundaries of parental discipline and the ethics of online marketplaces.

An Australian mum was reported to have sold her daughter's chopped-off hair at $5 on social media.

However, it wasn't just the hair itself that caused a stir; it was the reason behind the sale that left people feeling uneasy and appalled.

According to the online listing, the mum, who is believed to be employed at Kmart, had cut her daughter's hair as a form of punishment for the child's ‘poor attitude’.

image (7).jpg
An Australian mum faced online condemnation for selling her daughter's chopped-off hair on social media as punishment for misbehaviour. Credits: Facebook Marketplace

The listing, which has since been removed due to mass outrage and reports from users, included photos of the hair haphazardly strewn across bedsheets, with a hair clip still attached.

The caption chillingly read, ‘My daughter's hair’, followed by an explanation that ‘She was being a real bad girl, so I [chopped] her hair off.’

‘Might have some more to sell tomorrow if she wants to act naughty,’ the mum hinted in the listing.

This incident reignited the debate over what constitutes appropriate discipline and the potential harm of ‘punishment haircuts’.

Such practices are not new; they have been used historically as a means to shame and humiliate individuals into compliance.

In 2015, a barber in Atlanta gained notoriety for offering haircuts that would ‘publicly shame’ children for their misbehaviour, including the infamous ‘Benjamin Button Special’, which left kids with an ‘old man’ haircut featuring a prominent bald spot.

However, child psychologists and experts have long argued against these methods.

Xanthia Bianca Johnson highlighted the negative impact of shaming on a child's development.

‘There’s lots of research that supports the fact that when a child is blamed or shamed, it triggers their nervous system, and when the nervous system is shut down, it is directly connected to the brain,’ she explained.

‘The part of the brain that processes logic gets shut off, and it can actually stunt physical and emotional growth.’

The social media group where the hair was listed expressed their disgust and concern, with many equating the act to abuse.

‘This type of "discipline" is disgraceful and traumatic,’ one commenter wrote.

‘This is just straight-up abusive,’ another agreed.

‘The idea of using social humiliation/ostracisation as a punishment is disgusting,’ a third remarked.

Some individuals shared their own experiences of witnessing similar acts of discipline.

One teacher recounted, ‘Had a parent do this to a student when I was working at a [primary] school.’

‘We let the kid wear a hat he preferred until it grew back out.’

Most people were outraged by the ‘cruel’ punishment, arguing it would not improve the child's behaviour.

‘Taking away someone’s bodily autonomy is never OK,’ one member pointed out.

Another echoed this sentiment, saying, ‘You can punish your kid without physically changing them and making them uncomfortable.’

The conversation also turned toward the buyers' market, with some members of the group asking, ‘Who would buy that?’

‘I’d be more concerned with who buys it,’ another suggested.

This controversy highlights the intense emotions and differing opinions surrounding parenting methods today.

Amidst this uproar, however, stories of compassion and support shine through.

In a touching display of solidarity, a brave daughter recently surprised her mother with a powerful act that warmed the hearts of many.
Key Takeaways

• An Australian mum was condemned online for selling her daughter’s chopped-off hair on social media as punishment for bad behaviour.
  • The mum’s actions sparked outrage and concern among social media users and parents who considered the punishment abusive and traumatic.
  • Child psychologists argued that shaming and punishing children in such a manner could be counterproductive and harmful to their physical and emotional growth.
  • The social media group members debated the ethics of the punishment, with many criticising it as cruel, while others questioned who would potentially purchase such an item.
Have you encountered similar stories? Do you have insights on positive discipline strategies that could benefit other parents and guardians? Share your thoughts in the comments below, and let's have a meaningful discussion.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Funnily enough isn't this why we have a society coming that has no respect, no boundaries...yet here are these people do gooders jumping up and down about this...they need to understand one rule..ITS NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS!! it's because of them we are NOW FAILING AS A SOCIETY to help one another

Funnily enough isn't this why we have a society coming that has no respect, no boundaries...yet here are these people do gooders jumping up and down about this...they need to understand one rule..ITS NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS!! it's because of them we are NOW FAILING AS A SOCIETY to help one another
Well said Lisa!

Reactions: NotNats
Many years ago, my wife and I were in Melbourne on a business trip. We decided to have lunch at a sidewalk Cafe. There were lots of people doing the same thing, and a lone gentleman approached, and asked if he could share our table ; to which we agreed.
It turned out, he worked in a place that made wigs......and so the conversation got around to the bags of human hair, that my young stepdaughters had kept, at a time they decided they wanted short hair.
To keep the story short.....on the next trip, we approached this gentleman at his business, and sold him these two bags of long blond (much in demand) hair to him, on behalf of the two girls.
When we got home, and gave one $122.00 , and the other $110.00, they immediately asked their Mum, what they could do, to make their hair grow quickly .
Carsrme.

Child abuse and emotional blackmail is not a boundary. Perhaps you should have lived through it like I did and see how it feels. There is no excuse to treat another human being in that way. When the mother's partner/husband is not happy with her, can he employ the same tactics.

A girls hair is part of her identity (same goes for a boy)….it’s who she is and it might be the only thing she likes about herself……to disfigure her identity like this will not be beneficial to anyone involved. I know and acknowledge that it’s none of my business but when something is posted to social media, it’s up for grabs….if this mum hadn’t posted this story, then there wouldn’t be any story to be picked at. Since it’s now against the law (?) to smack your child I agree that punishment should still be given…..A child does need discipline, definitely, how else can they learn about boundaries………It’s no walk in the park being a parent never mind being the parent of a teen…….its no walk in the park being a teenager either………..look I don’t know what the answer is….. I was able to smack mine on the bum if they stepped out of line, and sometimes when I was really angry, I locked myself in the loo to just calm down……….but cutting your kids hair for spite…….dont do it…

What a dreadful punishment. I don't know how any mother could cut her daughters hair off as punishment. Why not take something away that the child loves for a few days. No child could be that naughty that you need to humiliate a child in that way.
All children need boundaries.
And why would you want to tell the world how you punished your child. I will never understand why people feel they have to put these type of acts on line. Surely this mother would not have expected people to think this was appropriate.
Kind regards to all Vicki

Wow just wow. Abuse is never a form of discipline. You do wonder what goes on at this child’s house that we do not know about.

This might not be real.

It could just have been put online to outrage, and it has worked.

Yet there are soo many morons in Australia that don't know abuse when it crawls across their face and poops up their nose. Makes me wonder in what ways these creeps abuse their kids.

Ignoring child abuse is not helping one and other. Abused children often grow up to become the abuser.
It is every person's responsibility to call out child abuse, it most certainly is all of our business the same as domestic violence.

Reactions: alkyon