Gross! This ALDI customer found something disgusting in a ready-to-eat snack - can you spot it?

We here at the SDC love a good bargain as much as anyone, which is why we're such big fans of ALDI. You can always count on the German supermarket chain to have great prices on everything from groceries to homewares.

But even we have to admit that sometimes, you really do get what you pay for. And in this case, it appears that an ALDI shopper got a little more than they bargained for... in the form of 'shrimp poop'.

The revolting discovery was made by an American woman who had bought a packet of Fremont Fish Market Oven Crispy Popcorn Shrimp from her local ALDI store. But after cooking and eating some of the shrimp, she made a horrifying realisation.

'I was about 10 [pieces] in when I realised,' she wrote in a Facebook post shared in an ALDI fan group.

'Now I'm distraught and laughing to keep from throwing up!'

bw0zMH56QM6-5OwHSQ9ldBdSwavGuiJFtwaYxU0FHmgu1fM1uyM9C-1RgMCc-04xgox0c-Se15bBz7uECzkSldkWB9czpAoayFgxSvwf46R4bPU_xG2IYbkTt6O6SG6ICGHsgh5OUrJqBzqmwxWAMGL5x4qxTuK1OOKFOEPpx7wZBNNIjLY3PZdl

A photo of the snack with the ‘poop chute’ in it. Credit: Facebook.

The woman claimed that after making the horrific discovery, she peeled the skin off the remaining fried shrimp and discovered they too still had the infamous 'poop chute'.

She warned: 'Purchase at your own risk!'

She also shared photos of the item, pointing out that while she shared the shocking discovery in an ALDI Australia Facebook group, the product is currently only available at the retailer's US stores.

The photo also showed some of the shrimp to have a thin, black string running down their backs.

The ALDI customer's post sparked a heated discussion regarding whether or not the digestive tract of the shrimp should be removed.

Some claimed that the woman was reacting too strongly over the 'perfectly normal' part of the shrimp.

One user wrote: 'Shrimp poo isn't that big of a deal.'

'...it's something that has been normal forever,' another added.

A third chimed in: 'As someone who eats the whole crab and the whole lobster (minus the shell) I see no problem here.'

kB02BAe0f1VEmAR-NurloigARYgIeNf79JqsTS9gRz8BkP4f5QrUkjVDNwnsfJ_-VIAka4Dx00rRrHfGO-newjD4Ni4y6sNXfE01dbmVjkrk270S6MEsMoWme3lar2Id130oO7XOHT0a_78Q7W20ll7eAmTbq4B9Kjw6v0yQ23IKuozi_79Eh_eK

Some argued that it’s natural for the shrimps to have the ‘black veins’ and that the woman is overreacting. Credit: Getty Images.

The thin black line, however, infuriated many people just as much as the original poster.

One comment read: 'Ewwwww!!! They didn't de-turd them first.'

'Ewwwwww that's why I don't buy pre-battered shrimp,' another said.

Her post also provided some of the group's vegetarian members with support for their dietary choices.

One person commented: 'Being able to see the literal crap sacks of the shrimp makes me happier that I don't like seafood.'

Another joked that she was 'safe from the veins and the poo!'

One woman reasoned that peeling and deveining the shrimp definitely wouldn't be cost-effective for the producers.

However, another argued that it should be part of the 'cleaning process' of the shrimps.

One man said: 'Colour this anyway you wish but that vein is the poop track and YES YOU CAN taste it.'

There's a lot of debate surrounding shrimp and whether or not their poop chutes should be removed. Some say that it's not necessary, while others claim it's essential for the shrimp's health. So, what's the truth?

Well, it turns out that both sides are right. Shrimp do have a special organ that helps them expel waste, but removing the poop chutes is still a good idea.

The main reason why is that the chutes can harbour bacteria and other harmful organisms.

So, to be on the safe side, it's best to remove this part of the shrimp. It's a simple process that only takes a few seconds (if you're preparing the seafood yourself), and it could help you keep safe from possible health complications.

There you have it, folks! Do you think the woman is in the right to be upset? Also, did you know shrimp and prawns are two different species? The more you know! Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
So, OK -- "it takes only a few seconds to remove the poop chute", according to the blurb. Why didn't you take a few seconds to de-horrify those squeamish shrimp eaters and show them how to do it? Funny thing is, when you eat Strayan prawns, you don't have anything like the same reaction, mental- or digestion-wise. And I forgot to put shrimp in quotes. Silly me!

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBear and Ricci
We here at the SDC love a good bargain as much as anyone, which is why we're such big fans of ALDI. You can always count on the German supermarket chain to have great prices on everything from groceries to homewares.

But even we have to admit that sometimes, you really do get what you pay for. And in this case, it appears that an ALDI shopper got a little more than they bargained for... in the form of 'shrimp poop'.

The revolting discovery was made by an American woman who had bought a packet of Fremont Fish Market Oven Crispy Popcorn Shrimp from her local ALDI store. But after cooking and eating some of the shrimp, she made a horrifying realisation.

'I was about 10 [pieces] in when I realised,' she wrote in a Facebook post shared in an ALDI fan group.

bw0zMH56QM6-5OwHSQ9ldBdSwavGuiJFtwaYxU0FHmgu1fM1uyM9C-1RgMCc-04xgox0c-Se15bBz7uECzkSldkWB9czpAoayFgxSvwf46R4bPU_xG2IYbkTt6O6SG6ICGHsgh5OUrJqBzqmwxWAMGL5x4qxTuK1OOKFOEPpx7wZBNNIjLY3PZdl

The woman claimed that after making the horrific discovery, she peeled the skin off the remaining fried shrimp and discovered they too still had the infamous 'poop chute'.

She also shared photos of the item, pointing out that while she shared the shocking discovery in an ALDI Australia Facebook group, the product is currently only available at the retailer's US stores.

The photo also showed some of the shrimp to have a thin, black string running down their backs.

The ALDI customer's post sparked a heated discussion regarding whether or not the digestive tract of the shrimp should be removed.

Some claimed that the woman was reacting too strongly over the 'perfectly normal' part of the shrimp.

A third chimed in: 'As someone who eats the whole crab and the whole lobster (minus the shell) I see no problem here.'

kB02BAe0f1VEmAR-NurloigARYgIeNf79JqsTS9gRz8BkP4f5QrUkjVDNwnsfJ_-VIAka4Dx00rRrHfGO-newjD4Ni4y6sNXfE01dbmVjkrk270S6MEsMoWme3lar2Id130oO7XOHT0a_78Q7W20ll7eAmTbq4B9Kjw6v0yQ23IKuozi_79Eh_eK

Some argued that it’s natural for the shrimps to have the ‘black veins’ and that the woman is overreacting. Credit: Getty Images.

The thin black line, however, infuriated many people just as much as the original poster.

Her post also provided some of the group's vegetarian members with support for their dietary choices.

One person commented: 'Being able to see the literal crap sacks of the shrimp makes me happier that I don't like seafood.'

One woman reasoned that peeling and deveining the shrimp definitely wouldn't be cost-effective for the producers.

However, another argued that it should be part of the 'cleaning process' of the shrimps.

One man said: 'Colour this anyway you wish but that vein is the poop track and YES YOU CAN taste it.'

There's a lot of debate surrounding shrimp and whether or not their poop chutes should be removed. Some say that it's not necessary, while others claim it's essential for the shrimp's health. So, what's the truth?

Well, it turns out that both sides are right. Shrimp do have a special organ that helps them expel waste, but removing the poop chutes is still a good idea.

The main reason why is that the chutes can harbour bacteria and other harmful organisms.

So, to be on the safe side, it's best to remove this part of the shrimp. It's a simple process that only takes a few seconds (if you're preparing the seafood yourself), and it could help you keep safe from possible health complications.

There you have it, folks! Do you think the woman is in the right to be upset? Also, did you know shrimp and prawns are two different species? The more you know! Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
no she does not .....people eat oysters straight out of the shell and the poop sack is still there ....i am over 70 and have lived on prawns /shrimps and crabs plus other shell fish and i am still here and my doctor says i am very fit for my age .........people will complain over anything just to get recognised

Stop Americanising out language. It’s PRAWN here in Australia, not SHRIMP. All you seafood lovers…eat it at your own peril. Most seafood these days, fresh or otherwise, is a toxic waste dump anyway. Nature’s revenge. HaHa😊

no she does not .....people eat oysters straight out of the shell and the poop sack is still there ....i am over 70 and have lived on prawns /shrimps and crabs plus other shell fish and i am still here and my doctor says i am very fit for my age .........people will complain over anything just to get recognised
And might I say that the contents of the poop sack (or, for the politically correct, the excretory duct) are bloody terrific!.
Reminds me of the old question: Who was the bravest man in the world? The first man to eat an oyster ...

Stop Americanising out language. It’s PRAWN here in Australia, not SHRIMP. All you seafood lovers…eat it at your own peril. Most seafood these days, fresh or otherwise, is a toxic waste dump anyway. Nature’s revenge. HaHa😊
I was about to say the same thing!! We don't have to copy their weirdo spelling and pronunciation. Shrimp are small creatures that live on the shore edges.

If you read the story again, you'll see this is from an American Aldi Shopper, who has posted their story on an Australian Aldi page. The Shrimp are caught locally in USA waters, east of Florida, down to Mexico, and, with an abundant supply, they are cheaper to process than Prawns!! Americans tend to eat shrimp more!!
images

Now for the differences.....

The names "shrimp" and "prawn" are often used interchangeably, and understandably. Shrimp and prawns have a lot in common: They both are decapod crustaceans (meaning they have 10 legs and exoskeletons), they both live near the floor of whatever body of water they inhabit, and their outer appearance is very similar.

In most cases, shrimp are smaller than prawns.

Although it is clear these two crustaceans are very different from each other, the terms "shrimp" and "prawn" seem to be used interchangeably. The words "shrimp" and "prawn" originated in England but the UK, and Australia, tend to refer to both of these crustaceans as "prawns".

Shrimp live exclusively in salty marine water, where they transport themselves by swimming. Prawns, on the other hand, spend their lives crawling along the floors of fresh or brackish waters.

In relation to the processing, it would be too labour intensive to "devein" them, so the manufactures simply bread and crumb them to save costs!!

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
So, OK -- "it takes only a few seconds to remove the poop chute", according to the blurb. Why didn't you take a few seconds to de-horrify those squeamish shrimp eaters and show them how to do it? Funny thing is, when you eat Strayan prawns, you don't have anything like the same reaction, mental- or digestion-wise.
What are "Strayan Prawns"? Do you mean AUSTRALIAN Prawns?

lol. I know right they call it shrimps. I got very confused. not sure what to say when they called a big prawns they call it shrimps. I have nothing against American lingo. and that's what my filipino friends call them as well. I am a snob with my seafoods I don't eat Vietnamese prawns. nothing wrong with them. and also I am particular with fish. they need to from Australian waters. and when supermarket sells them I need to ask. and they look at me . maybe they think what's wrong with her. I can tell by their look. I just make a joke, I tell them I am allergic with Vietnamese seafood. I am not racist , I am asian by birth. I just want the best.

Why do we have to have articles about American Aldi? We do not have same food items here! PRAWN NOT SHRIMP!

Disgusting!

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci