Grocery price shock: Australians paying more than ever for weekly shopping essentials

As savvy shoppers, we're no strangers to adapting our lifestyles and budgets to accommodate rising living costs.

However, the recent spike in grocery prices has us particularly taken aback, as it seems that the cost of our weekly shopping trips has soared to record highs—and our stretched budgets are feeling the pinch.

An analysis conducted by Daily Mail Australia revealed the shocking increase in prices for staple household items, with costs rising up to a staggering 106% in just four short years.

This far exceeds the current inflation rate of 7%, which is already putting a significant strain on our wallets.

Screen Shot 2023-06-14 at 1.11.09 PM.png
Australians are feeling the pinch at the grocery store checkout. Credit: Pexels/Anna Shvets.

These price hikes have had a domino effect, with consumers understandably tightening their belts and cutting back on discretionary spending like entertainment, beauty care, insurance, and even takeaway coffee.

However, even with these sacrifices, many Aussies are still reportedly struggling to cope with escalating living costs, such as soaring electricity bills and skyrocketing mortgage repayments.

Let's take a closer look at some of the products that have experienced the sharpest price increase.

The Coca-Cola 10-can multi-pack has jumped from $7.80 to a whopping $16.10, while Lurpak Lighter Blend Spreadable Butter rose from $4 to $7.50. And for those of us with a sweet tooth, a block of Cadbury milk chocolate has seen a price increase from $4.79 to $5.50.

Coles and Woolworths regularly match prices for staple items, causing many shoppers to alternate between the two supermarkets depending on weekly sales. In fact, some customers even visit both supermarkets each week to maximise their savings—an unfortunate necessity in today's tough economic climate.

The cost of food and groceries is now a foremost concern for Australians nationwide. Many families are cutting back on essential items such as cereals, berries, seafood, and even our favourite comfort food, chips.

A once $12 tin of Milo has risen to $15, while a $4 box of Weet-Bix now costs $6. Even household essentials like McCain's frozen peas (rising from $2 to $3.30), Vegemite ($9 instead of $8), and castor sugar (jumping from $2 to $3) haven't been spared.

These steep increases in grocery prices have combined with other financial pressures to place a significant burden on Australian households.

Screen Shot 2023-06-14 at 1.11.17 PM.png
Australians now spend $185 weekly on groceries - almost $40 more than a year earlier. Credit: Coles, Woolworths.

Finder, a popular financial comparison site, surveyed Australians and found weekly grocery spending surged to an average of $185—a staggering increase of almost $40 compared to a year ago.

Sarah Megginson, Finder's money expert, explained that this amounts to an extra $1,924 per year per household or a total increase of $18.8 billion nationwide.

'Households are facing some very tough times, and escalating grocery costs are an extra burden. Aussies are having to change how and where they shop just to keep food on the table,’ she explained.

In the survey, 43% of respondents cited grocery shopping as one of the top three 'most stressful expenses' in their budgets. New South Wales residents were found to spend the most on groceries, averaging $187 per week, followed by Victorians ($184), Queenslanders ($176), and South Australians ($160).

AMP Deputy Chief Economist, Diana Mousina, warned that a single extra interest rate hike could potentially spark a recession, given the already vulnerable state of the Australian economy.

She explained, 'The RBA's hawkishness and subsequent likelihood of another interest rate hike in July or August mean that a “real” recession is a high possibility in the next 12 to 18 months.'

Key Takeaways

• Australians are experiencing rising prices in staple products, with costs increasing by as much as 106% in just four years.
  • Electricity bills and mortgage repayments are also rising, adding to household financial strain.
  • The Australian Bureau of Statistics listed an 8% inflation rate for food and non-alcoholic beverages in the year to April 2023, and a Finder survey found Australians are spending $185 per week on groceries, $40 more than last year.
  • AMP Deputy Chief Economist Diana Mousina predicts a 'real' recession is a high possibility in the next 12 to 18 months due to the likelihood of another interest rate hike.

In light of these trends, it's more important than ever for us shoppers to stay informed, adapt, and find ways to manage our budgets as efficiently as possible. Embrace your resourcefulness, shop smart, and seek discounts wherever possible. You might like to check out the SDC Discount Directory.

Have you noticed how the rising grocery prices have affected your weekly shopping? We're curious to hear about your experiences and any clever strategies you might have for saving money at the checkout. Share your thoughts and tips with us in the comments section below!

Sponsored
Dairy too has near doubled and many so called 1/2 price articles are highly processed items and stuff we shouldn't be consuming anyway, so that's probably a good thing, but the gouging is criminal imo.
Bread also, was $2.40, now its $4.40. Thats Tip Top bread, so I go to Foodland and get my bread still for $2.50 and its just as good. Fresh and stays fresh for ages.

bread and milk have doubled in the last 4 years
pet food has more than doubled in the last 4 years
coffee up over %60 in the last 4 years
fruit and veg up over%60 in the last 4 years and i can go on and on
HOW much has pensions and wages gone up in thr last 4 years NO WHERE CLOSE TO %60
GAS AND ELECTRICITY AT LEAST %40
ITS GETTING TO THE STAGE WHERE KEEPING WARM IN WINTER AND COOL IN SUMMMER AND HAVING any treats are becoming more and more a reality of things gone by
Bread has doubled, just recently the TipTop band, but I see Milk is still around $4.50 for 2ltr, . Luckily we have a wood fire, but dont want to run out of wood too soon so have been alternating with the Reverse cycle, but only put it on around 6 at night and switch it off at 8. Wood fire is the best though!!!

Reactions: Littleboy8
fancy feast cat food has gone up from 80cents per tin to $2.00 so if you have a cat who has 1 tin per day thats an extra $16.80/fn and if you have 2 cats thats an extra $33.60 a fortnight ITSno wonder so many cats are being neglrcted just for profits and the people who gain on that extortion should be ashamed of themselves
Dog food too. Aldi had large dry dog food for $12, now its not even stocked anymore at our local Aldi, so you have only one choice, the dear one!! Woolies has Dry dog food for $13 now, but its first in best served. They often run out too, but they havent stopped stocking it....yet. Very strange about Aldi though, are they just getting us to buy the dearest one. Well I wont be.

We are two adults on pension, up until beginning of this year, grocery shop, including cleaning stuff plus dog food etc, was around $200 fortnight. Now same groceries we are nudging to $250 fortnight. Starting to get savvy now!!!

Bread has doubled, just recently the TipTop band, but I see Milk is still around $4.50 for 2ltr, . Luckily we have a wood fire, but dont want to run out of wood too soon so have been alternating with the Reverse cycle, but only put it on around 6 at night and switch it off at 8. Wood fire is the best though!!!
No way! Wood fires are bad health wise and environmentally unfriendly! I should know owned a lodge in tassie two log fires now really bad health problems. Lived in a valley on west coast everyone had them! Disgusting dirty things should be banned. Put another jumper on and a beanie and uggies and mittens etc! Hahaha!🙀😹

As savvy shoppers, we're no strangers to adapting our lifestyles and budgets to accommodate rising living costs.

However, the recent spike in grocery prices has us particularly taken aback, as it seems that the cost of our weekly shopping trips has soared to record highs—and our stretched budgets are feeling the pinch.

An analysis conducted by Daily Mail Australia revealed the shocking increase in prices for staple household items, with costs rising up to a staggering 106% in just four short years.

This far exceeds the current inflation rate of 7%, which is already putting a significant strain on our wallets.

View attachment 22288
Australians are feeling the pinch at the grocery store checkout. Credit: Pexels/Anna Shvets.

These price hikes have had a domino effect, with consumers understandably tightening their belts and cutting back on discretionary spending like entertainment, beauty care, insurance, and even takeaway coffee.

However, even with these sacrifices, many Aussies are still reportedly struggling to cope with escalating living costs, such as soaring electricity bills and skyrocketing mortgage repayments.

Let's take a closer look at some of the products that have experienced the sharpest price increase.

The Coca-Cola 10-can multi-pack has jumped from $7.80 to a whopping $16.10, while Lurpak Lighter Blend Spreadable Butter rose from $4 to $7.50. And for those of us with a sweet tooth, a block of Cadbury milk chocolate has seen a price increase from $4.79 to $5.50.

Coles and Woolworths regularly match prices for staple items, causing many shoppers to alternate between the two supermarkets depending on weekly sales. In fact, some customers even visit both supermarkets each week to maximise their savings—an unfortunate necessity in today's tough economic climate.

The cost of food and groceries is now a foremost concern for Australians nationwide. Many families are cutting back on essential items such as cereals, berries, seafood, and even our favourite comfort food, chips.

A once $12 tin of Milo has risen to $15, while a $4 box of Weet-Bix now costs $6. Even household essentials like McCain's frozen peas (rising from $2 to $3.30), Vegemite ($9 instead of $8), and castor sugar (jumping from $2 to $3) haven't been spared.

These steep increases in grocery prices have combined with other financial pressures to place a significant burden on Australian households.

View attachment 22289
Australians now spend $185 weekly on groceries - almost $40 more than a year earlier. Credit: Coles, Woolworths.

Finder, a popular financial comparison site, surveyed Australians and found weekly grocery spending surged to an average of $185—a staggering increase of almost $40 compared to a year ago.

Sarah Megginson, Finder's money expert, explained that this amounts to an extra $1,924 per year per household or a total increase of $18.8 billion nationwide.

'Households are facing some very tough times, and escalating grocery costs are an extra burden. Aussies are having to change how and where they shop just to keep food on the table,’ she explained.

In the survey, 43% of respondents cited grocery shopping as one of the top three 'most stressful expenses' in their budgets. New South Wales residents were found to spend the most on groceries, averaging $187 per week, followed by Victorians ($184), Queenslanders ($176), and South Australians ($160).

AMP Deputy Chief Economist, Diana Mousina, warned that a single extra interest rate hike could potentially spark a recession, given the already vulnerable state of the Australian economy.

She explained, 'The RBA's hawkishness and subsequent likelihood of another interest rate hike in July or August mean that a “real” recession is a high possibility in the next 12 to 18 months.'

Key Takeaways

• Australians are experiencing rising prices in staple products, with costs increasing by as much as 106% in just four years.
  • Electricity bills and mortgage repayments are also rising, adding to household financial strain.
  • The Australian Bureau of Statistics listed an 8% inflation rate for food and non-alcoholic beverages in the year to April 2023, and a Finder survey found Australians are spending $185 per week on groceries, $40 more than last year.
  • AMP Deputy Chief Economist Diana Mousina predicts a 'real' recession is a high possibility in the next 12 to 18 months due to the likelihood of another interest rate hike.

In light of these trends, it's more important than ever for us shoppers to stay informed, adapt, and find ways to manage our budgets as efficiently as possible. Embrace your resourcefulness, shop smart, and seek discounts wherever possible. You might like to check out the SDC Discount Directory.

Have you noticed how the rising grocery prices have affected your weekly shopping? We're curious to hear about your experiences and any clever strategies you might have for saving money at the checkout. Share your thoughts and tips with us in the comments section below!
As a pensioner, I have to be careful how much money I spend on my weekly shop. Over the past few years, items that were once a regular in the shopping cart, have now become a treat, only bought every now and then, eg. A block of chocolate. Only buying some goods when they are on special, has become the norm.

fancy feast cat food has gone up from 80cents per tin to $2.00 so if you have a cat who has 1 tin per day thats an extra $16.80/fn and if you have 2 cats thats an extra $33.60 a fortnight ITSno wonder so many cats are being neglrcted just for profits and the people who gain on that extortion should be ashamed of themselves
Buy cans of kitekat or whiskers etc much cheaper lots of meals in one can. And buy big bags of cat bikkies add to meat fills my puddy tats up. 😊

No way! Wood fires are bad health wise and environmentally unfriendly! I should know owned a lodge in tassie two log fires now really bad health problems. Lived in a valley on west coast everyone had them! Disgusting dirty things should be banned. Put another jumper on and a beanie and uggies and mittens etc! Hahaha!🙀😹
Why are they bad health wise. Environmentally unfriendly, smoke going into the air, and very little at that? What bad health problems do you have, as my family has not had any, did you ventilate the rooms when you had log fire going, windows open a tiny bit, Its not an open fire, but a fully enclosed wood fire burner. Maybe you were putting wrong kind of wood in fire. We use mallee wood and roots, as my parents did in their OPEN fireplace, family had no health problems. I dont cut down forests to get the wood lol. Im not wearing a beanie uggies, and mittens to sit and watch movies in my lounge room. I do have rugs if need be. Saves heaps of money, not putting on evaporator heater every night, and have solar to keep costs down a bit. Why are they dirty things too, I dont understand this statement of yours?

Why are they bad health wise. Environmentally unfriendly, smoke going into the air, and very little at that? What bad health problems do you have, as my family has not had any, did you ventilate the rooms when you had log fire going, windows open a tiny bit, Its not an open fire, but a fully enclosed wood fire burner. Maybe you were putting wrong kind of wood in fire. We use mallee wood and roots, as my parents did in their OPEN fireplace, family had no health problems. I dont cut down forests to get the wood lol. Im not wearing a beanie uggies, and mittens to sit and watch movies in my lounge room. I do have rugs if need be. Saves heaps of money, not putting on evaporator heater every night, and have solar to keep costs down a bit. Why are they dirty things too, I dont understand this statement of yours?
Okay! Don’t get your knickers in a knot!its just my opinion! And they were enclosed fires! Oh and by the way the lodge burnt down in the recent Xmas bushfires in tassie! Have a nice day🙀

I agree most items have increased.
I use Omo Sensitive laundry liquid and stock up when it's half price.
My husband likes Twinings english breakfast teabags, and they are often half price, which is a win also.
50% off = the real price.. even the 50% off is ripoff