Grocery haul from 2022 sparks outrage: 'I hate this new normal'

The rising cost of living has become a universal concern—with the escalating prices of everyday groceries becoming a great source of shock and dismay for many.

A recent social media post by Kerry Clements showcasing her grocery haul from 2022 has sparked a flurry of reactions, with many Aussies expressing disbelief at the stark contrast in prices compared to today.

Two years ago, the mum managed to fill her kitchen counters with a variety of groceries, including meat, fruits, vegetables, dairy products, pasta, rice, snacks, and other household items, all for a total of $222.20.

Fast forward to today, the same grocery haul would be nearly impossible to achieve at the same price.

SDC 7.png
A mum shared her grocery haul worth $222.20 in 2022. Image source: Facebook/Kerry Clements.

'There’s a pile of meat stashed in amongst it all, pork fillets, marinated chooks, steaks, mince etc,' the mum said.

'Wish we could stretch our money so far nowadays.'

The post shared on social media quickly garnered attention, with many users estimating that the same grocery haul today would cost at least double, if not more.

Some even speculated that the cost could range between $500 and $600, a significant increase that has left many Aussies gobsmacked.

'Just the meat, milk and fruit would set [you] back $100 nowadays,' one commented.

Some users also shared their realisation that their money no longer goes as far as it used to.

'A few years ago, I used to be able to feed my large family on $250 a week. Now it costs $400-$600 a week,' one shared.

Another added: 'I didn’t take photos of my order from just 3 days ago, but it came to $220 as well, and it was only a couple of half-filled bags that won’t even last me my 2 young daughters a fortnight.'

'I really do hate this new normal and anxiety to do any sort of food shopping.'

To better illustrate the price hike, the mum recreated the same grocery haul using current prices, primarily from Coles.

'Well, it took me a while, but I repriced every single item in my photos…I used Coles items, mostly home brand,' she said.

'The tally I came up with was $437.85, a big increase from $222.20 spent just 2 years ago, and many items are now much smaller in weight for twice the price.'

The escalating grocery prices are not an isolated issue—it’s part of a broader trend of rising living costs that are putting a strain on Australian households.

A recent survey by Finder revealed that 60 per cent of Australians from the older generation are experiencing financial stress.

More than half of the respondents admitted that their quality of life has declined compared to a year ago due to financial pressures.

The younger generations seem to be bearing the brunt of this crisis, with 77 per cent of Gen Zs and 67 per cent of Millennials reporting financial stress.

Sarah Megginson, a Personal Finance Expert at Finder, highlighted the devastating impact of this financial strain.

'Millions have found themselves in financial difficulty with many people struggling to pay their bills,' she said.

'Financial strain can take a devastating toll on your mental health and can impact all areas of your life from your health and relationships to lifestyle.'
Key Takeaways

• One mum’s 2022 grocery haul revealed significant price increases over two years, shocking social media users with the cost comparison.
  • The total spend of $222.20 two years ago for a large variety of grocery items is now estimated to be at least double that price, with some estimates even higher.
  • The mother repurchased the items with current costs, resulting in a total of $437.85.
  • Almost 60 per cent of Australians surveyed are experiencing financial stress due to the cost of living crisis, with younger generations being particularly affected.
What are your thoughts on the rising grocery prices? Have you noticed a significant increase in your grocery bills? Share your thoughts and tips for managing grocery costs in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
'Older generation'. They'd have to mean Boomers and older. Then skip to Millennials and Gen Z.
There is this other generation that always seems to be under the radar, Gen X. The guys aged 44 to 59, they seem to be sitting pretty.

• Haha
Reactions: NotNats
I can testify that this would and does cost anywhere between $500 to $600 at today's prices (maybe higher).

Four/Five years ago, I used to spend an average of $400 a week to feed a grown family of 4 plus 2 dogs (1 large/1 small) and a bunch of wild birds.

Skip to 2023/24, I am only buying for 2 now (very controlled diet / NO treats) and 1 small dog and my grocery bill has dropped a little (about $300 to $350) per week but main difference is all the extras I use to buy. And this costs doesn't include any cleaning or non eatable products for the household.

There has been a significant increase in pricing as we all know.As a single pensioner, I have noticed that my fortnightly shop has grown from around $150 to between $220 to $260 depending on what specials are available. This doesn't include any alcoholic beverages.

Reactions: Littleboy8
Why is it happening that prices have gone up dramatically in such a short time....that's what I'd like to know !!🤫🤬🤬🤬
Key facts. The cost of living is how much money it takes to buy necessary items, like food or housing. Housing, health, food, and travel costs have risen the fastest so far in 2024. Climate change, corporate profiteering, and global supply chain issues have each driven up the cost of living in Australia and round the globe.

Reactions: Littleboy8