Grieving mother slams Centrelink’s ‘unfair’ rule: ‘It's very wrong’

The pain of losing a child is unimaginable, and the grief that follows is a burden no parent should have to bear alone.

Yet, for Patty van Duijn, an Adelaide mother, the heartbreak was compounded by a Centrelink rule that she describes as 'absolutely disgusting’.

Patty was over 19 weeks into her pregnancy when she faced the devastating reality of terminating her pregnancy due to complications.

The loss of her son Mason was a profound trauma, one that was followed by the physical and emotional ordeal of giving birth to a stillborn child.

compressed-shutterstock_468262271.jpeg
Patty criticised Centrelink’s ‘disgusting’ rule. Image source: Shutterstock

But when she sought financial support from Centrelink to help her through this difficult time, she was met with a disappointing response.

Centrelink's Stillborn Baby Payment, a one-off lump sum of $4,059.17 designed to assist grieving parents, requires a gestation period of at least 20 weeks or a birth weight of at least 400 grams.

Mason, at 230 grams and just six days shy of the 20-week mark, did not meet these criteria.

As a result, Patty was deemed ineligible for the payment, forcing her to consider returning to her hospitality job less than two weeks after her loss.

She shared the emotional ordeal to a media outlet, saying, ‘I'm still going through this whole process of giving birth and holding a baby that's not alive. It's very traumatic and really hard, but now I have to think about going back to work.’

Patty criticised the rule as ‘absolutely disgusting’ and shared that it is ‘unfair’ she had undergone similar trauma and grief but was not able to access the help available to mothers in her situation.

‘It shouldn't matter how big or small or how long... it's my baby with arms, ten toes, fingers,’ she said.

‘I'm just unsure of who made this decision, and if they actually know what people go through, but a week shouldn't be a difference because it's still the experience, the trauma and everything that comes with it,’ Patty added.

It is understood that the Department of Social Services set the policy, and while Centrelink cannot grant leniency based on individual circumstances, they have stated that a representative will contact her to explore other supports available.

A spokesperson from the Department of Social Services stated, ‘the Australian Government recognises the tragic loss and trauma of miscarriage.’

‘While a medical professional must certify a stillborn child was delivered for families to receive Stillborn Baby Payment, other supports are available through Services Australia including counselling and support to connect with local services.’

‘And depending on an individual's circumstances and employment, they may also be entitled to paid or unpaid leave following a miscarriage,’ they added.

Patty's situation is further complicated by her medical history of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), which contributed to the complications in her pregnancy.

With her partner Lee Simpson working as a chef, the couple is struggling to make ends meet on his salary alone. The emotional toll is immense, and the financial pressure only adds to their distress.

‘It's only been a week and a half and now I have to think about going back to work because we can't afford to pay bills and rent if I don't work,’ she shared.

In response to her situation, Patty has taken action by setting up a GoFundMe page, not only to seek support for herself and Lee but also to raise awareness and advocate for change in the policy.

She hopes that by sharing her story, she can prevent other families from enduring the same hardship.

‘It's very wrong,’ she argued. ‘I want it to be looked into, not for us now, it's too late, but for other people going through this, so they don't have to go through what I am right now.’
Key Takeaways
  • Patty van Duijn from Adelaide experienced the loss of her baby at over 19 weeks but couldn't access Centrelink's Stillborn Baby Payment because she was six days short of the required 20-week gestation period.
  • Centrelink defines a stillborn child as one who has reached at least 20 weeks' gestation or weighs at least 400 grams at birth; Patty's baby weighed 230 grams.
  • Patty criticised the rule as 'absolutely disgusting' and unfair for not considering the trauma and grief experienced by mothers in her situation.
  • Despite her circumstances, Patty has received no leniency from Centrelink, with the Department of Social Services stating other supports are available, and she is now calling for a change to the rule to help others in her position.
Our thoughts and prayers go to Patty and her husband during this difficult time.

What do you think about Centrelink’s Stillborn Baby Payment criteria, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
We are step by step going backwards as a country led by unfeeling, unthinking Politicians. The super dickheads that made up this rule ought to be shot. I am so sorry this has happened to you.
thats because most of our pollies are imports x union personal from guess where

• Angry
Reactions: siameezer
I applied for the age pension in early December last year. Almost six months later, I'm still waiting. I'll be 75 in about another three weeks. Centrelink is not very supportive for anyone in need.
Ring your MP and explain.
They'll sort it.

We waited 5 months to be told I could not receive a Carer's Payment for a terminally ill famly member. The MP got it sorted in a couple of days.
But why couldn't they tell us in 2 weeks? All of the paperwork checked out.

These staff are only doing their jobs.
It's the %$"#$& in the "back office" that need a rocket under them.

We need to bring back the original Commonwealth Employment Service (CES) and get rid of these fat cats calling the shots.

Be kind to frontline staff - many go home in tears, and some need regular professional counseling due to the daily stress of hearing our horror stories.
They often do NOT get the support they deserve from Centrelink bosses.

Rules are rules, she didn't meet the criteria. It is not the taxpayers responsibility to pay for their loss (as sad and horrible as it is) it is theirs. If they can't afford to live on one wage then they are living well beyond their means to start with. We have gone through life on one wage only, had 3 kids, brought a property, cars etc and never wanted for anything. My wife also had a full term stillborn baby back in the 1970's, no help from the government there and no sympathy either. Just suck it up and get on with it like we had to.
Geoff01 - you are far out of touch mate.
You truly have no idea what you are judging.

Your statement:
If they can't afford to live on one wage then they are living well beyond their means to start with
is risible. It shows you have NO IDEA of rents, groceries and actually how much one wage as a chef really is.
We also went through life on my wage only. 4 kids.
So what?
Have you seen the rent increases, or the inflation rate?

I try not to criticise individuals for ignorant statements - most people simply do not realise what they have said.
I'll leave it at that. Keep up mate.

• Haha
Reactions: siameezer and Ezzy
Set up a Go Fund Me page. It seems that anybody who suffers a trauma, from a severe spinal injury to a broken fingernail, seeks some compensation from the general public.
what a shonk Go Fund Me is. I decided to try and help a young man I thought seemed really special and was ill as well. I was going to give him quite a bit of money but closed it when I saw GFM want me to give an extra $110 and they didn't even ask permission so I smartly closed it all down. First and last time for me.

Reactions: Ezzy and Littleboy8
What an asshole you are. Where your heart should be there is a rock. One day this will go back on you. How could you be so cold, cruel and heartless. Shame on you.
My heart is not a rock. I feel deep sympathy for this woman. But money doesn't grow on trees. It comes out of the pockets of other Australians who are struggling to pay their own bills. I have family in dire financial circumstances because of health issues, but paying over $10K in taxes annually, and nobody cares about their situation. We simply cannot afford to hand out to everyone for every drama that happens in life. Shame on you for being nasty to someone who is just being realistic. If you want to pay everyone who loses a child before 20 weeks. do so out of your own savings. Don't milk my struggling family for more.

I'm sorry, but I find this woman's complaint offensive. Centrelink is funded by taxpayers, and many taxpayers are struggling - for all sorts of reasons - and unable to get any help or respite. Why should someone receive benefits for losing a baby at less than half way through a pregnancy? Especially when it appears the person was rather irresponsible to plan to have a child anyway since she says her financial circumstances are so difficult and she has health issues that would likely compromise her ability to care for it?
This country is in a mess because of overspending by government. My own family is in very difficult circumstances due to health issues and the very premature birth of a child with major disabilities. Yet they are paying hefty taxes from a quite modest wage. We simply cannot afford to keep handing out to everyone. Yes, loss of a child is hard. Most of us go through tough times and painful losses. The government can't be held financially obliged to pay everyone for every trauma they suffer.
That said, maybe women should have thought in more depth before supporting the Women's Lib movement drive to push them all out to work. We had far less problems when families could get by quite comfortably on a single income. I vehemently opposed the movement in the early 70s, despite being a career woman myself and believing in freedom of choice for women. I saw the writing on the wall. I saw that it was not about freedom but about enslaving women and destroying family life. Maybe what we should be funding is a campaign to reverse what proved a very harmful social change?

Geoff01 - you are far out of touch mate.
You truly have no idea what you are judging.

Your statement:

is risible. It shows you have NO IDEA of rents, groceries and actually how much one wage as a chef really is.
We also went through life on my wage only. 4 kids.
So what?
Have you seen the rent increases, or the inflation rate?

I try not to criticise individuals for ignorant statements - most people simply do not realise what they have said.
I'll leave it at that. Keep up mate.
I think everybody is well aware of living costs these days how could you not be
I think that that is beside the point and really nothing to do with the item in question.
People have no right to feel "entitled" to a payment they do not qualify for.
If they were to make an exception for this lady then where does it stop, everybody else would then feel they were also entitled to an exception.
This lady should take up the other help offered by Centrelink and be grateful for that, not expect that she is a special case.
Nor should she have set up aGo Fund Me page, expecting the public to pay so she doesn't have to go back to work. As you stated everyone is struggling.
We seem to have raised a very"entitled"generation who expect the govt or other people to pay for their situation.
I am very sorry for these people's loss, having been there myself, but I'm afraid they need to accept the reality of their situation and not expect others to solve their problem.
Take up the alternative help offered by Centrelink. It is more than I and many thousands of others got in the past when no such help was on offer. Be grateful for the help offered.

This is totally sad. The Australian government wants a young working population and therefore imports immigrants by the tens of thousands a year (that we can't even house). This is simply because we, the Australian population find it too risky, expensive and government policies far to unstable to raise any children. Remember folks, our past and present governments are the witnesses of over 120000 people, consisting of old and young people, families with children, living in tents, vans and cars, or any other forms of shelter they can find. 120000 destitute homeless men women and children who have no kitchen, no bathroom, no heating, no cooling and need to brave the next day with no expectation from anyone to better their fate. 120000 people, a population that can fill a city in Australia with no future. It was even mentioned on the news that a council told these tent dwellers to "Move On" because council regulations deemed it illegal. Where to? Into the abyss? Not here. Not our responsibility. Move on!!! Bravo, Australian Government and let Centrelink be the doorway you can reach them by. Like, never?! Vote for the opposition? Same result! Vote for like-minded Teals? Who knows? We need a different system altogether to govern this country with new, fresh ideas that can make our beautiful country function independently like it should. Not a container- cultured, hybrid colony run by a defunct bunch of anti-free speech, self-serving vote grabbers. Or have we been reduced to a passive flock of sheep and watch each other being brought to the slaughter? You choose.

Last edited:
What an asshole you are. Where your heart should be there is a rock. One day this will go back on you. How could you be so cold, cruel and heartless. Shame on you.
Actually I believe YOU are the ahole...
For being so rude...why should taxpayers be made to bear the cost.she chose to fall pregnant..she made that choice..they obviously knew the finacial burden .....just think about that for a moment..and this statement come from a mum whose baby died...have you lost a child???

Don’t they ALL need 24/7 care
Of course they do. But,being the mother of three, one with a disability, I can tell you have no idea what you are talking about.
A child with a disability, depending on the severity, can sometimes require parents to roster sleep as they need 24 hour supervision, day and night.
What 'normal " child needs that.
Your comment is disgustingly insulting to the parents of disabled children.
My mother told me once many years sgo, you should put your brain into gear before opening your mouth. Before commenting too, I guess.

Reactions: Littleboy8
Yet the Labor government give scum from the middle east massive handouts
Wouldn't have put it quite like that; nevertheless true enough.
I don't care where they come from as long as they:
* work
* leave their politics behind
* Integrate and assimilate
Otherwise, why did they come here?
This cartoon could apply to Australia too:

Attachments

• Death to America.PNG
    Death to America.PNG
    829 KB · Views: 0
We are step by step going backwards as a country led by unfeeling, unthinking Politicians. The super dickheads that made up this rule ought to be shot. I am so sorry this has happened to you.
This is TAXPAYERS money NOT the governments as such, and give one GOOD reason why she needs a handout?? She made a choice. Not centrelink, if she couldn't afford a child why fall pregnant..I lost 3 family members within 5 months grandfather, son to SIDS, father and then my mother tried to commit suicide 6 weeks after my father...did I apply for benefits?? NO! WAS I A MESS...YES YES YES! but I DID NOT APPLY FOR ANY BENEFIT WHILE I WAS FALLING APART! I wasn't given that choice!

Well put jacksonno2 I can’t get my head around people getting funds for being carers I always thought as a parent you were a carer
Being the carer of a
"normal" child and being the carer of a disabled child are two completely different things
Obviously you don't or haven't had a disabled child or you wouldn't make such a stupid and heartless statement
You don't know why they pay a carer payment? Just think about it for a minute, put your brain into gear.
People with disabled children can't have two working family members, a necessity in this day and age, they have miles more expenses than normal.
The carers payment, which I might add is extremely hard to get, is just over $1,000 a fortnight, plus around $300 allowance. That is less than the basic wage.
Do you have any idea how much it would cost the taxpayer if that child was put into care, that amount wouldn't cover one day's care.
Many years ago that is what a large amount of people did.
Now they pay the carers payment and it is not possible to do that unless in very extreme circumstances, saving the government, meaning the taxpayer, a fortune.
Why don't you try changing places with a person who has a disabled child for a week or two, 24 hours a day, and then repeat your ignorant comment.

• Love
Being the carer of a
"normal" child and being the carer of a disabled child are two completely different things
Obviously you don't or haven't had a disabled child or you wouldn't make such a stupid and heartless statement
You don't know why they pay a carer payment? Just think about it for a minute, put your brain into gear.
People with disabled children can't have two working family members, a necessity in this day and age, they have miles more expenses than normal.
The carers payment, which I might add is extremely hard to get, is just over $1,000 a fortnight, plus around $300 allowance. That is less than the basic wage.
Do you have any idea how much it would cost the taxpayer if that child was put into care, that amount wouldn't cover one day's care.
Many years ago that is what a large amount of people did.
Now they pay the carers payment and it is not possible to do that unless in very extreme circumstances, saving the government, meaning the taxpayer, a fortune.
Why don't you try changing places with a person who has a disabled child for a week or two, 24 hours a day, and then repeat your ignorant comment.
👍well said

👍well said
Thank you. Some people just have no idea
I am carer for both my husband and daughter. I spend half my life on the road taking one or the other to appointments.
As I live in the country these are long trips.
Last week alone I had appointments every day which involved round trips of 5 hours,
4 hours, 2 X 3 hours and then another 5 hours.
At 77 years of age, the carer payment is the same as the age pension, so really I only get the extra allowance which gets chewed up on petrol expenses.
People just do not realise how much money carers save the government.
I do worry how much longer I will be able to do this myself.
I have been my daughter's carer for 47 years, during this time as well as her disability the por girl has had three major operations for cancer.
Last year my husband almost died and has aged 10 to 15 years virtually overnight and now needs full time care.
However, it is what it is and I shall just carry on, but it is very annoying when ignorant people denigrate carers.
Sorry for the rant, I'll go back to bed and get out the other side, lol 🤣

Wait just a minute here, folks. Chefs make pretty good money. This woman is from a two-income household with no kids and a hubby working in a reasonably well-paid trade - yet she wants struggling taxpayers to hand her over $4000! FOR WHAT? If she can't afford a few weeks off work unpaid, she is a terrible money manager and a Centrelink handout won't help her. There are far needier folk out there. Give her sympathy by the boatload, for sure. But she should be embarrassed about wanting MONEY in her situation. As if a few thousand dollars fixes the loss of a child!

Reactions: siameezer and Lisa